• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Concept Cars – Part Two

Full Canvas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In June I posted the beginnings of this thread with some Chrysler concept cars. Maybe a random few of the Cadillac cars will offer a more solid obvious styling link to the cars being driven by the forum members today. The 1965 XP-840 El Dorado in the last two panels appears to be the four-wheeled prototype of our (then) yet-to-be stealth fighters.

1946 Cadillac Interceptor - Which headlamp treatment do you prefer?
cadillac1946interceptorvp6.jpg

1953 Cadillac Ghia at Stillwater Cove (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance)
cadillac1953ghiabt8.jpg

1954 Cadillac El Camino
cadillac1954elcaminoxk5.jpg

1954 Cadillac Park Avenue
cadillac1954parkavenueuu5.jpg

1954 Cadillac Pininfarina Cabriolet at Stillwater Cove (Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance)
cadillac1954pininfarinacabriioletoq1.jpg

1955 Cadillac La Salle II
cadillac1955lasalleiioo7.jpg

1955 Cadillac Starlight
cadillac1955starlightyu3.jpg

1957 Cadillac Bill Frick Special
cadillac1957billfrickspecialla2.jpg

1958 Cadillac Cyclone
cadillac1959cyclonetl4.jpg

1961 Cadillac Pininfarina Jaqueline
cadillac1961pininfarinajaquelineal6.jpg

1965 Cadillac XP-840 El Dorado
cadillac1965xp840eldoradofrontrz0.jpg

1965 Cadillac XP-840 El Dorado
cadillac1965xp840eldoradorearandsidesex2.jpg

chrysalid

Reaction score
again agreed on the ghia, but don't you think it would look better with unembellished flanks? i also love the starlight, spare in comparison and with a lovely delicate looking roof.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
again agreed on the ghia, but don't you think it would look better with unembellished flanks? i also love the starlight, spare in comparison and with a lovely delicate looking roof.

I do. Still, it's hard to believe it's a cadillac.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It would be a shame to compare these cars with the concept cars coming out today, which all look similar and are probably cheaply made.

Certainly, they would have technology, and resources to manufacture some very avant-garde concepts today but all they come out with are either bizzare looking hybrid-bastards or jellybeans.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I like it.
It's the element that makes the car.
Nice choices Full Canvas. I've never seen the XP-840.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
It would be a shame to compare these cars with the concept cars coming out today, which all look similar and are probably cheaply made.

Certainly, they would have technology, and resources to manufacture some very avant-garde concepts today but all they come out with are either bizzare looking hybrid-bastards or jellybeans.

I certainly disagree:

brera_concept.jpg

The Brera Concept. I read somewhere that Giugiaro used at as a daily driver for a time. The production model hasn't quite lived up to expectations but the look of the original is fantastic. It also boasts a beautiful bespoke interior:

Alfa_Romeo_Brera_by_Ital_Design_2002_dash.JPG

The Maserati Birdcage Concept. Again this was a runner, albeit a tentative one, as proved at the goodwood festival of speed. Is this what you mean by avant garde?

2005pininfarina_maserati_birdcage_75th_01.jpg

Back to America and we have the Cadillac 16 Concept, A cathedral of a car and thematically in keeping with the original cars posted in this thread:

cadillac_16_2_f.jpg

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing

xpa2d5.jpg

Mille Miglia

Lamo

Reaction score
I certainly disagree:

The Maserati Birdcage Concept. Again this was a runner, albeit a tentative one, as proved at the goodwood festival of speed. Is this what you mean by avant garde?

2005pininfarina_maserati_birdcage_75th_01.jpg

the birdcage is certainly one of the most stunning design ever. the detailing on it is impeccable.

labelking, sorry, but i don't think you know what you're talking about. The simple reality being that if anything, modern cars can be accused of being too conservative. Yes, a lot of cars are ungainly(exceedingly high beltlines, awkwardly placed pillar) but there's quite a few gems out there. I know Aston Martin has it's detractors and so does Ian Callum/Fisker, but the Aston Martin Vantage has perhaps the most perfect proportions ever in a sports coupe. The upcoming R8, while having a somewhat awkward silhouette, is one of the most innovative designs in the past 20 or so years. There are countless cars like the Volkswagen R, Citroen Metisse, Volvo C30 that meld both classic and futuristic themes nearly flawlessly. Again, your tastes might not lean toward current automobiles but they certainly hold more value than you think. Reverence for the past can only go so far.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Lamo
the birdcage is certainly one of the most stunning design ever. the detailing on it is impeccable. labelking, sorry, but i don't think you know what you're talking about. The simple reality being that if anything, modern cars can be accused of being too conservative. Yes, a lot of cars are ungainly(exceedingly high beltlines, awkwardly placed pillar) but there's quite a few gems out there. I know Aston Martin has it's detractors and so does Ian Callum/Fisker, but the Aston Martin Vantage has perhaps the most perfect proportions ever in a sports coupe. The upcoming R8, while having a somewhat awkward silhouette, is one of the most innovative designs in the past 20 or so years. There are countless cars like the Volkswagen R, Citroen Metisse, Volvo C30 that meld both classic and futuristic themes nearly flawlessly. Again, your tastes might not lean toward current automobiles but they certainly hold more value than you think. Reverence for the past can only go so far.
Of course, modern cars are too conservative especially the production models. The last truly avant-garde car was still probably the Citroen DS. Or perhaps:
mercedes10.jpg
The Vantage seems simply a modern interpretation of the old DB4. Personally, what gripes me are the mostly homogenous jellybean shapes of the cars. Also, the interiors are usually very similar looking, despite proclamations of luxury and "progress". Indeed, Lexus has a self parallel parking feature for their LS saloons. And it has something like an 8-speed automatic; what Lexus customer is going to use an 8-speed automatic? They are probably mostly Asian housewives and prosperous accountants. As for the BMW, it is indeed very striking but moreso due to its butched up "retro" look. It would be like taking a Leica Screwmount camera and remaking it in a larger size in something like titanium--interesting and fun but not too innovative.

Renault78law

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The El Camino looks like the car that Homer designed for his rich brother.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics