• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Blazer V. British Blazer

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
This is Ben Silver stretching things, a bit. I suppose the key differences, in their view, are that the "English" coat has a more structured shoulder and side vents, whereas the American coat is more "trad": softer shoulder, flapped patch pockets, center vent.

I must say that no dyed-in-the-wool English dandy I know would be caught dead in that "English" coat.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I must say that no dyed-in-the-wool English dandy I know would be caught dead in that "English" coat.
Then what type of Blazer would they wear?
Do they wear Blazers?

uppercase

Reaction score
Agree that that "English" blazer just doesn't look like anything you would see in London.

But why not? Is is those bottons, the low buttoning point or those trans-Atlantic shoulders - neither here nor there, or what?

I can't put my finger on it.

Trilby

Reaction score
Double breasted in Britain. The only single breasted blazers I've seen here have been on Americans.

cuffthis

Reaction score
DB English style blazer (as done by RL)
blueblazer2qh.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Yes, Trilby is right.  DB is much, much more common in Britain for blazers.  In the rare cases when one sees an SB blazer, it will almost always be flannel or hopsack or some rougher, spongier cloth; three-button; side-vented; with open patch pockets.  A worsted two-button blazer with besom or flapped pockets is a strictly American creature.

The classic blazer is DB in flannel (or doeskin or hopsack, etc.), slightly lighter than true navy, 4-on-2 button stance, with open patch pockets.  You will also see a lot of worsted blazers with flapped pockets and a 6-on-2 stance, exactly like the one depicted above.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but what is the exact story behind the appellation of 'blazer'. I've heard many conflicting accounts.

koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I know I'm opening up a can of worms here, but what is the exact story behind the appellation of 'blazer'.  I've heard many conflicting accounts.
The bottom line is, nobody knows. None of the traditional accounts can be proved.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
So, from what I can tell, the difference between the two are slim and have nothing to do with the country style.

That being said, anyone have an opinion on the quality of the two items. Maybe Ben Silver questions have to go to the other forum, but I figure I will post it here for now and maybe add it to the other one later.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So, from what I can tell, the difference between the two are slim and have nothing to do with the country style.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "nothing."  Side vents are more typically English, whereas center vents are definitely American.  The coat called "American" really does look like an "American/Trad" coat.  I just think it's a stretch to say that the other one is quitessentially "English."

Trilby

Reaction score
It would be interesting to know whether they sell more of the American or "English" version.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
(slaavwmr @ Feb. 13 2005,11:23) So, from what I can tell, the difference between the two are slim and have nothing to do with the country style.
I wouldn't go so far as to say "nothing." Â Side vents are more typically English, whereas center vents are definitely American. Â The coat called "American" really does look like an "American/Trad" coat. Â I just think it's a stretch to say that the other one is quitessentially "English."
What about the cut. I am not going to wear a DB blazer, and I would like something more british looking, not planning a trip to London anytime soon. So I guess, is the blazer a more british looking one, or it just a line from Ben Silver?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
So I guess, is the blazer a more british looking one, or it just a line from Ben Silver?
In my opinion (true Brits, weigh in please), a 2-button worsted blazer is never going to look English to the English. But at least the side vents give it an air of Britannia.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads