• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Apparel

vincent

Reaction score
I just purchased a bunch of american apparel. I bought henleys, v-necks, t-shirts, sweatshirts...

I am very happy with the fit. I am about 6'2 1/2 and weight about 160 and the american apparel fit is amazing.

I used to have problems with length. I would often try slim fitting clothing but the length would be too short. American Apparel shirts are very slim and also, have a good length.

I highly recommend american apparel to all tall and slim guys.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
I agree. Just be careful... they do loose an inch or two of length after washing.

Goldengloves

Reaction score
Vincent, that's very good to know. I too am about the same height/weight as you (6'3", 170) and was going to stop by AA this week. Did you buy all Larges?

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i would only dry them for 10-15 minutes on low just so they can shrink back to their original sizes. then hang em on a rack so you don't stretch the necks out

all my american apparel tees have def shrunk down alot, which is fine bc now they are more fitted, but it might be bad news in length for you.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really annoying that you tall guys can get AA and it fits well. I get AA and it's way too long on me (5'6" 161lbs)

vincent

Reaction score
I actually bought them in size small. The fit is pretty tight but it looks good.

I had previously bought an american apparel sweaer in size large which was too big and did not skrink after multiple washes.

After reading your posts, i am now considering exchanging some of my stuff for size medium because I do not want my t-shirts, sweaters..to be too small.

What do you guys suggest?

Again i am 6'2 about 160 and size small fits perfectly before wash.

JayMcDenim

Reaction score
I have a friend who is about your height and while a little slimmer he learned his lesson aboutbuying size small hehe. He has about 5 expensiv sweaters,all too short for him.

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vincent
I actually bought them in size small. The fit is pretty tight but it looks good.

I had previously bought an american apparel sweaer in size large which was too big and did not skrink after multiple washes.

After reading your posts, i am now considering exchanging some of my stuff for size medium because I do not want my t-shirts, sweaters..to be too small.

What do you guys suggest?

Again i am 6'2 about 160 and size small fits perfectly before wash.

I would say wash one of them and dry it to hell. That way, you know the max it will shrink. My guess is you need a medium.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't find the shirts to be too short. I'm 5' 11", and the AA medium just hits the top of my jeans. Any shorter and I'd be showing some skin.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 6'3" 170 lbs. (160 lbs. when I tried on AA tees and polos) and I'd recommend medium. Although the small fit me, they were tight enough to allow for no shrinkage. I'm currently hesitating to buy because I'm not sure about the durability of AA shirts.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I would definately change them in for mediums. I'm 5'10 and 160 lbs and a medium (depending on what kind of shirt actually) fits me perfectly. I bought some thermals and henleys in small and they do fit but they are too tight IMO.

Antler4641

Reaction score
I wonder if it has to do with body type as well. I'm 5'10" and weigh about 155, and after 3 or 4 washes, my small AA t-shirts fit fine (though I'll say I like a pretty fitted look, but they are definitely not tight).

Rolo

Reaction score
Fit aside, my first experience with AA was not a good one. Quite simply, the quality sucked hard. Of the six shirts I ordered, one was sewn so poorly as to be unwearable. One shoulder was 5/8" longer than the other. On another shirt, one of the seams on the sleeve unravelled after the first washing.

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The quality is very spotty. I guess workers get slack when they aren't in sweatshop conditions - homeboy Dov better start crackin' dat whip and stop banging the underage stockgirl/models!!

ts4them

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Baron
I'm surprised you don't find the shirts to be too short. I'm 5' 11", and the AA medium just hits the top of my jeans. Any shorter and I'd be showing some skin.
You must be very long waisted, because those tees run longer than any I've ever tried on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads