• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Apparel Zip Up Hoodie

mrmartinmiii

Reaction score
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone owned one of these hoodies? If so, how is the quality, I recently just won one on eBay for about 20 dollars and I would like to see how they fit on you guys, and just what people wear them with. So if any of you guys who have these can post some pictures up for me that would be pretty cool. I'm really just looking to pair this up with some APC New Standards and some Onitsuka Tigers or some Vans, just for some casual wear.

gamelan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
fit is great, quality is so-so.

-Jeff

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the fit (I've got the Cali hoodie that's non-lined since L.A./CR doesn't get cold enough for a thick one) and quality is fine by me for a relatively inexpensive hoodie. I don't see it as bulletproof but I don't expect to tear through it like the Hulk any time soon.

I'll put up a pic tomorrow when I get my computer back from the shop.

ts4them

Reaction score
I agree that the fit is great - slim fitting and better than others in that price range. The problem I have is that the zipper is twisting and doesn't lay flat (I haven't even washed it yet). I still like it for a $45 hoodie, so if you got yours for $20, then you should be happy w/ it. I think they have a really excellent color range in the california version, which is what I have.

ashgromnies

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmartinmiii
Hey guys, I was just wondering if anyone owned one of these hoodies? If so, how is the quality, I recently just won one on eBay for about 20 dollars and I would like to see how they fit on you guys, and just what people wear them with. So if any of you guys who have these can post some pictures up for me that would be pretty cool. I'm really just looking to pair this up with some APC New Standards and some Onitsuka Tigers or some Vans, just for some casual wear.
that's a very safe and boring look in my opinion but if you want to rock it go for it, just that it's kind of played

they fit great but they're really thin and not warm

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love my two AA zip hoodies. It has become a staple of my wardrobe since I first started wearing them a few months back.

Its casual and comfortable, fits great, but is still better looking than most hoodies out there coz of the fit.

I have brown and heather grey, I wouldnt be surprised if I got another sooner or later. A shame they're kinda pricey for what you get ($45 CAD at the cheapest).

jpgm

Reaction score
the AA hoodies are ok, but nothing remarkable. i would definitely advise you to size up. i wear a S in almost everything, and the AA M is quite slim on me. if you are looking for something to even keep you remotely warm, go for the thermal lined hoody, which itself is not particularly warm. the normal california fleece hoody is very thin.

cmrocks

Reaction score
Quality is hit and miss. I bought one the other day and the ribbing on the left cuff is about half an inch shorter than on the right. I was in a hurry and just grabbed it. I find that with AA, you have to look around and find one that is constructed well.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
Yeah, I agree on the size up. I had the bright idea of trying out the hoodie before I had it made through Neighborhoodies. Their small is tiny although a small AA shirt fits fine, perhaps a touch short. Here's how my med. cali hoodie fits:
cimg0210lx0.jpg

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DucatiCole
Quality is hit and miss. I bought one the other day and the ribbing on the left cuff is about half an inch shorter than on the right. I was in a hurry and just grabbed it. I find that with AA, you have to look around and find one that is constructed well.
+1. My first one came apart at a seam, and both had twisting zipper probs. But they are comfy and the one I'm on now seems pretty durable. Fit is a little snug comparatively, but I wouldn't size up or down - if you're in between, get the bigger size.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mrmartinmiii

Wore this today, Onitsuka Tigers, New Standards, and Brian's hoodie. Got hot by the end of the day though
confused.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 83 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics