• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Apparel store

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't even realize American Apparel had stores. I was going to gloat that we got the only one, but I checked and apparently there are quite a few. Anyway, it opens today so I will go check it out today or tomorrow.

For Seattleites: it's on 45th and the Ave in the U-District. Where Pier 1 used to be like 5 years ago if you've been around that long.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
BTW, do their hoodies have double zips? Their specsheets are lame and don't say.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BTW, do their hoodies have double zips? Their specsheets are lame and don't say.

No, which is my only beef with them. The fit is amazing, and though they lack some of the details of the vintage style hoodies that say, Paper Denim put out, the fact that they are (at least for me) a better fit and four times cheaper makes them a no brainer.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Argh.. I hate the dreaded zipper-belly. I'll try one on, but I really, really hate that. Why is it that the Gap can put a YKK double zip on their hoodies and AA refuses to? What would it add, $1 to the price?

Who else has a good one with a double zip? The Gap one I have I like, but I mangled the hood in a botched alteration attempt (don't ask), and they of course don't carry them "out of season". It's sweatshirt season 4 days out of any given week here.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
There are six AA store where I live. Mouhahahaha.. Frankly I hadn't even noticed we had more than 2....

The AA is perfect for me too, and I like the clean look. Never bough a hoodie though, just t-shirts and polos.

Sevcom

Reaction score
Argh.. I hate the dreaded zipper-belly. I'll try one on, but I really, really hate that.
AA zip hoodies are short enough that they don't bow out and create the faux paunch. While it'd be nice to have the double zip, I still think they're among the best cut of their kind.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Argh.. I hate the dreaded zipper-belly. I'll try one on, but I really, really hate that. Why is it that the Gap can put a YKK double zip on their hoodies and AA refuses to? What would it add, $1 to the price?

Who else has a good one with a double zip? The Gap one I have I like, but I mangled the hood in a botched alteration attempt (don't ask), and they of course don't carry them "out of season". It's sweatshirt season 4 days out of any given week here.
That's why I'm all about pullovers.

Care for a "damn, this was a bad idea" day? Just try swapping out the stock zipper for a double; they carry them at fabric stores. Yeah, zippers are hard as hell to put in, but I got the hang of it after a couple tries. Or just bring it to a tailor. They should be able to do it for cheap.

Brian SD

Reaction score
A stores are amazing. They have everything in practically all sizes, and pictures of hot women all over the place. The one in San Diego was rocking some half decent music, too.

The different colored items tend to have slightly different feels to the fabric (don't know why) - I've noticed that baby blue t-shirts seem to shrink a lot. You can get a good idea of the fits in the store and they have stickers on the pieces that tell you how much the garment will shrink. This is of course much preferred to buying it blindly online, then having it shrink so much that you can't put your arms down. Just kidding, its not that bad.

Chimes

Reaction score
brian, do the tee shirts in different colors vary wildly after wash at aa? i almost ordered 6 different colors the other day (no aa store anywhere near me) but after reading this im glad i didnt.

Brian SD

Reaction score
brian, do the tee shirts in different colors vary wildly after wash at aa? i almost ordered 6 different colors the other day (no aa store anywhere near me) but after reading this im glad i didnt.
not "wildly" per se, but noticeably. Their brown shirts stay extremely soft. The lightish grey and the pink thin out the most that I've seen, and the baby blue seems to shrink the most. This is after 20 washes or so.

You're fine if you order them in your size. It's not like you have to order a size up, as the difference isn't nearly that great, it's just something I've noticed as I have several AA shirts in my closet. Always good to ask though.

Lydia

Reaction score
This is the only brand I've found that has sleeves that are almost long enough for me without a huge billowy body. I just wish the sleeves were actually long enough, but they are better than anything from BR, Prada, Gap, Brioni, D&G, you name it, which usually go barely beyond my elbows in a small, which is what I need for the body.

Are any of you part orangutan, or am I the only one with this sleeve length problem?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Went by tonight and they were still cleaning up and getting ready. All the merch is there. Due to location they are going to get to clean graffiti off the windows every day. Good luck with that...

The website said the 30th, then the 31st, they have paper signs that say they will be open Saturday. Whatever.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Okay, update time:

I went in about a week ago and picked up a dark blue hooded sweatshirt. The place is very bright and open, with lots of colorful stuff as one would expect, all hanging. To be honest, though, I have my doubts as to whether it will survive. The stuff is all very plain. I just don't know how much market there is for plain clothing that costs somewhat more than the Gap (which seems to be the plain clothing king). I can see it doing well online, where people will order for printing etc., but I don't know about this store.

Anyway, on to the hoodie: It is very soft inside, 100% combed cotton and fits very well. I am worried that once washed it will start getting that faded Eddie-Baueresque look that I can't stand, but we'll see. I'll most likely zip it up and wash it inside out to try to prevent that. It is well cut and comfortable and the cuffs have not stretched out much (I hate that) even though I push them up often. The cuffs are sort of shoddily sewn - I didn't notice this before I bought it but the edges of the elastic part are misaligned by 1/8" or so on both sleeves. No big deal, but I expected better attention to detail. It won't bother me, but come on.

The double-zip issue is still a problem, though. While wearing the thing standing up it's fine; however, when I sit down, especially when driving, I get the zipper pooch and the zipper end sort of pokes me in the junk unless I flip it up which looks ridiculous. Put a frigging double zipper on it AA.. Jeez. I personally really like unzipping the first inch or so of the bottom of my jacket and my Gap hoodie - just feels a lot more comfortable.

For $48, I won't buy another one until they fix that issue. I can't return it now having taken the tags off, but I don't think I would. It's very soft and comfy. Just not all I'd hoped for.

amirrorcrackd

Reaction score
They'll take anything back. Even without tags, and if it's been washed, if you're so inclined.

Dan

Charles Rogers

Reaction score
I hate how the site has a flat rate of 7 dollars for shipping- I mean I just wanted to order a T-shirt and it turns from $16 to $23.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads