• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

American Airlines AAirpass Lifetime Unlimited 1st Class Travel

mussel

Reaction score
So when American Airlines initiated the lifetime all-you-can-fly 1st Class AAirpass program in the early 80's, it thought it was a good idea to raise capital when interest rate was well into double-digit. Initially it cost $250,000 for the primary pass and $150,000 for a companion pass and rose steadily until 94 when AA killed the program. It turned out it's deal of lifetime for many travelers who bought into the program. AA estimated 2 of the most frequet users cost the airline $1 million a year each. In addition to the lost revenue AA has to pay taxes for each flight the pass holders take and they earn miles too. Now AA tries every tricks in the book to revoke the passes. If I had the dough I'd buy into the program too. The program returned for one last time in 2004 as part of the Neiman Marcus X'mas catalog, it cost $3M for the primary pass and $2M for the companion, there's no taker. If I had the dough, I'd definitely score such a steal.

http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-0506-golden-ticket-20120506,0,7103119.story

Last edited:

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
Caught this the other week. Fascinating story

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
would do it in a heartbeat, plus the companion pass.

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are they going to be able to discharge these in bankruptsy?

I also wonder how AA is calculating their opportunity cost for these guys...are they only counting full flights where other customers have to be turned away, or are they just adding up the market price for every flight these guys take?

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
double

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Wow.

They earned miles on TOP of the first class flights too. Reminds me of: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126014168569179245.html

He built up so many frequent flier miles that he'd give them away, often to AIDS sufferers so they could visit family. Crew members knew him by name.

Shoulda paid cash!!

In discovery, company lawyers tracked down a Dallas woman who had cut Vroom a $2,800 check to fly her son to London. An elderly couple gave him $6,000 for a trip to Paris. And bank records showed more than $100,000 in checks to Vroom written by owners of a local jewelry store who frequently flew with Vroom.

Last edited:

impolyt_one

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Wow.
They earned miles on TOP of the first class flights too. Reminds me of: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB126014168569179245.html
Shoulda paid cash!!

Yeah that is the deal sealer too; mileage could pay for lodging on the road, the champagne parties are free, and some crafty uses of the freight allowances afforded to first class passengers could be used to make up whatever money you need otherwise. No need to break any rules or try to sell off tickets. The chance to buy into a luxury vagabond lifestyle for $5m/2people for life is a steal.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Ya my dad has easily spent that much on airline tickets over the past 20ish years or so. I know he

A) Never imagined he'd travel as much as he does now back then and
B ) wouldn't be able to afford it but damn... the opportunity cost for him is astronomical. He's spent so much time juggling two airline FF accounts to get the best deal, always complained about being in the "most elite status" of one but not getting upgraded... it far exceeds the $1m price point.

Then again, he actually likes some of that **** so maybe it wouldn't be to his advantage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads