• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

America: Land of Loners?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Published by the Woodrow Wilson International Center for Scholars, The Wilson Quarterly has an interesting piece on friendship -- or the lack thereof -- in the United States. The article begins as follows:

Americans, plugged in and on the move, are confiding in their pets, their computers, and their spouses. What they need is to rediscover the value of friendship.

Science-fiction writers make the best seers. In the late 1950s far-sighted Isaac Asimov imagined a sunny planet called Solaria, on which a scant 20,000 humans dwelt on far-flung estates and visited one another only virtually, by materializing as “trimensional images”—avatars, in other words. “They live completely apart,” a helpful robot explained to a visiting earthling, “and never see one another except under the most extraordinary circumstances.”

We have not, of course, turned into Solarians here on earth, strictly limiting our numbers and shunning our fellow humans in revulsion. Yet it’s hard not to see some Solarian parallels in modern life. Since Asimov wrote The Naked Sun, Americans have been engaged in wholesale flight from one another, decamping for suburbs and Sunbelt, splintering into ever smaller households, and conducting more and more of their relationships online, where avatars flourish.

Click the link to read more: http://www.wilsonquarterly.com/article.cfm?AID=1631

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
People are yucky: they have germs and stuff.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
America: Land of Boners?
And you call yourself an Episcopalian.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ok, how about ...

America: Land of iPhoners

Justin, with the help of Thomas ... you have ruined what was my opportunity to have a thread without one comment!

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
Justin, with the help of Thomas ... you have ruined what was my opportunity to have a thread without one comment!

What are friends for?

I mean, really .... what are friends for?
confused.gif

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are friends for?

confused.gif

With iFriends ... who needs friends.

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3064729988_c117873040.jpg

JesseJB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is BS. I go to plenty of parties where all I do is talk about my IPhone and socialize on my IPhone and compare my IPhone to other people's IPhones. I will find out about another gathering, leave the first party early and go to the next place where I will do it all over again until last call.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What are friends for?

confused.gif

The only thing a real life friend has ever done for me that was of any value was to drive me home after I had too much to drink. Considering I could have got a cab for that and not have had to take **** for the next week about puking in his backseat I do not consider real life friends to have any material benefit over internet friends.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JesseJB
This is BS. I go to plenty of parties where all I do is talk about my IPhone and socialize on my IPhone and compare my IPhone to other people's IPhones. I will find out about another gathering, leave the first party early and go to the next place where I will do it all over again until last call.

That sounds awesome... in an SNL skit sort of way.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS

Plenty of low-hanging fruit on this thread. Normally, it's the more thoughtful and recondite threads that attract the crickets.

What are friends for?

confused.gif

To pad your facebook numbers, man!

Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
The only thing a real life friend has ever done for me that was of any value was to drive me home after I had too much to drink. Considering I could have got a cab for that and not have had to take **** for the next week about puking in his backseat I do not consider real life friends to have any material benefit over internet friends.

Hey, I can call you a cab from here!

Harvey - you're a cab.

rimshot.gif

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RSS
With iFriends ... who needs friends.

I say we replace the term 'friends' with 'outsource media content generators'.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
Hey, I can call you a cab from here!

Harvey - you're a cab.

rimshot.gif

Thanks fella, you're the best internet friend ever.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 80 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 35 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads