1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

AMC's The Killing

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by limping_decorum, Apr 4, 2011.

1. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

Yeah, he ran for sheriff against Seth Bullock.

If I recall he just wanted to man the fire wagon. =)

2. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

Yep. Never noticed until he had the reaction to cinnamon (I'm rewatching season 3). Man put on some weight.

3. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Did anybody read the piece on Grantland about The Killing?

I totally agree with Simmons here, but I see myself coming back for Season 2.

4. Joffrey

Joffrey Senior member

I don't mind that there wasn't total resolution to the story in season 1. I mind that the show is a text book lesson in a badly executed story arch. Of all the things we've learned over the course of season 1, I can't say I really care about any of them.

Take The Wire, at the end of each season, some bad guys got away, some got caught, some good guys/cases got screwed. I wasn't pissed, I was floored and couldn't wait for the next season. Shit the show ends, and you don't have total resolution of everything, no one (that I know of) felt robbed. For some reason, the maker's of The Killing couldn't figure out how to balance telling the story of their characters, and moving the plot along without fucking shit up. Certainly not an awful show, but it's very unfortunate that something so promising ended up so disappointing and the makers think they did a good job.

It doesn't cost me anything so I'll probably watch the premier for season 2.

5. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

I don't mind that there wasn't total resolution to the story in season 1. I mind that the show is a text book lesson in a badly executed story arch. Of all the things we've learned over the course of season 1, I can't say I really care about any of them. Take The Wire, at the end of each season, some bad guys got away, some got caught, some good guys/cases got screwed. I wasn't pissed, I was floored and couldn't wait for the next season. Shit the show ends, and you don't have total resolution of everything, no one (that I know of) felt robbed. For some reason, the maker's of The Killing couldn't figure out how to balance telling the story of their characters, and moving the plot along without fucking shit up. Certainly not an awful show, but it's very unfortunate that something so promising ended up so disappointing and the makers think they did a good job. It doesn't cost me anything so I'll probably watch the premier for season 2.
    I agree with you on the execution aspect. The point of the Simmons column, however, was that they sold this show to the public on the premise that they would wrap up Rosie's murder by the end of Season 1. They sold us a bill of goods and didn't deliver. It only compounds the point that they also didn't deliver because they were so busy effing up the execution.

6. bontailla

bontailla New Member

havent seen the finale yet, but like it so far....

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

havent seen the finale yet, but like it so far....

if you didnt see finale, i recommend avoiding this thread

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Just finished up the series and was disappointed. Too much worthless dialogue, too many plot diversions, and that god awful cliffhanger. Here's to hoping that Forbrynden is better.

9. Biggskip

Biggskip Senior member

Just finished up the series and was disappointed. Too much worthless dialogue, too many plot diversions, and that god awful cliffhanger. Here's to hoping that Forbrynden is better.
    What is Forbrynden supposed to be?

10. Reynard369

Reynard369 Senior member

What is Forbrynden supposed to be?

*Forbrydelsen is the original Danish version of the show that The Killing is based on.

11. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Fucking Danish and their extra E's.

12. benecios

benecios Senior member

I'm six episodes in and it is absolutely awful. It has been significantly shortened but feels much longer. I know who did it from the original and there hasn't been any emphasis yet on how close he is to the family and there are no cliffhanger endings to each episode. I was led to believe this was a good remake but it's shocking.

13. otc

otc Senior member

While I have not watched the AMC one for this very reason....I can tell you that he is not the killer with 99% accuracy.

You can't have a 2-year epic mystery and have the killer be known to anyone who is willing to read subtitles (or just go to the wikipedia page)....they have said from the beginning that the killer is someone else

14. Neo_Version 7

Neo_Version 7 Senior member

Was thinking about this show last night and how intriguing it was in the beginning (mostly because of Holder but I have to admit the early red herrings were interesting). However, I remember the really campy final 5 minutes of the last episode and think, "Fuck this show."

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  15. benecios

benecios Senior member

Not sure I understand this?? Have they changed the killer in the US version?

16. otc

otc Senior member

They claim that they have. I don't see why I wouldn't believe them

17. studio253

studio253 Senior member

I hate most of the characters but still for some reason find myself drawn to this show.

18. edinatlanta

edinatlanta Senior member

lol.

So I just finished the entire season in, I think like 10 days or so, only tuned in/heard about it because of the New York Times article about how negatively people responded to the finale.

Anyway, it is, outside of the technical elements, a terrible show. It is unbelievably formulaic (you're the suspect for two episodes and then suddenly and neatly you aren't!) there's terrible writing everywhere you go (a basketball "stadium"? Really?) other than Holder the characters suck, the plot twists are stupid (most notably the finale) and I'm surprised there wasn't more teeth-gnashing over the finale.

Truth be told though, Imma be tuning in for SE02 when I can because few things are as entertaining as hating on the show. Anyway Veena Sud said Rosie's killer will be revealed at the end of next season.

Would boan Rosie to death.

19. gort

gort Senior member

Returns tonight! :slayer:

Sunday nights are going to be awesome now with Game of Thrones, Mad Men, and this.

20. fir3fox

fir3fox Senior member

I was pretty bent the way last season ended.

I'm not sure I can lift the ban I placed for not wrapping shit up.