• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AMC's The Killing

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AldenPyle
On the other hand, the guy playing TweakerCop is so awesome, I keep hanging with this. When he is not on, it is completely dull.

It's worth watching the show just for him. I understand he's Swedish and English is a second language, which really blows me away. His whole cadence and rhythm is just spot-on tweaker.

Sazerac

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Biggskip
As we get to know him, however, we see more and more the layers that make up his character. I really like when a show with a long story arc takes advantage of the format to develop its characters like that. Unfortunately, he is one of the few characters they've chosen to do this with.

A little off-topic, or maybe too meta for a thread about one TV show, but your comment reminded me of a theory I've had lately. Namely that television series such as Mad Men, The Killing, and Breaking Bad (as well as the Sopranos, etc.) are to the 21st century what epic novels were to the 19th century. I'm thinking in terms of great character driven novels with several distinct plot lines and one overarching plot line such as Les Miserables or War and Peace. In short, they're our greatest narrative art form and superior to theatrically released films because they allow for longer, richer, better character development.

I think Sopranos was possibly the first time this was done so artfully, or at least artfully enough to say that the TV series had reached the level of great literature.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
^ all of those shows you mentioned combined are not even half as good as BSG is in any category.

but back to this show, yeah I bet they will probably look at Jamie as a suspect in one of the coming eps like they did with Belko but then also rule him out. Still have a feeling the aunt is hiding something or might know something that hasn't been revealed.

Also, they better not drag the reveal out to another season, as this show is only above average at this point. The cast is okay but Holder is the only real standout.

Sazerac

Reaction score
What is BSG?

I also think the aunt is hiding something. There's something sinisterly off about her. Then again, I'm stupid enough to still think of Richmond as a suspect.

Gene Parmesan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by aphextwin07
^ all of those shows you mentioned combined are not even half as good as BSG is in any category. but back to this show, yeah I bet they will probably look at Jamie as a suspect in one of the coming eps like they did with Belko but then also rule him out. Still have a feeling the aunt is hiding something or might know something that hasn't been revealed. Also, they better not drag the reveal out to another season, as this show is only above average at this point. The cast is okay but Holder is the only real standout.
Don't be stupid. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and The Wire are amongst the best dramas of all time (if I had to choose a fifth, it would probably be Deadwood). BSG is vastly overrated by fans of the genre. On an unrelated note, I love how overrated Dexter is. The premise is excellent, Michael C Hall is perfect in the role, and seasons 1 and 4 were fantastic. But the other three seasons were mediocre, the writing has become increasingly cliched and contradictory, and the supporting cast is almost uniformly woeful. It pains me whenever I see people claim Dexter to be better than any of the five shows I've mentioned, or BSG (which, before you slate me aphex, is VERY good but can't be seriously considered as one of the greatest television dramas ever)

Sazerac

Reaction score
Agree on Dexter. Weeds is that way, too. Great premise and one or two great seasons, but after that, they're just flogging a dead horse.

Reynard369

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the main cop's kid.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gort
Battlestar Galactica?

I'm doing that thing now where it starts off as a slow chuckle and builds to a large cackle.

Can't say for sure since I've never watched BSG, but I'd be very surprised to find that it is better than either Sopranos or Breaking Bad. It isn't better than The Wire. I know this because it isn't The Wire.

Originally Posted by Sazerac
A little off-topic, or maybe too meta for a thread about one TV show, but your comment reminded me of a theory I've had lately. Namely that television series such as Mad Men, The Killing, and Breaking Bad (as well as the Sopranos, etc.) are to the 21st century what epic novels were to the 19th century. I'm thinking in terms of great character driven novels with several distinct plot lines and one overarching plot line such as Les Miserables or War and Peace. In short, they're our greatest narrative art form and superior to theatrically released films because they allow for longer, richer, better character development.

I think Sopranos was possibly the first time this was done so artfully, or at least artfully enough to say that the TV series had reached the level of great literature.

Actually soap operas are probably the first to do it, but I get your point
wink.gif
. Sopranos is probably the first well done long-form drama and The Killing is certainly working to follow Its footsteps.

aphextwin07

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan
Don't be stupid. Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Sopranos and The Wire are amongst the best dramas of all time (if I had to choose a fifth, it would probably be Deadwood). BSG is vastly overrated by fans of the genre.
ummm, just FYI- Sopranos, The Wire, and Battlestar Galactica are the 3 highest scoring all-time rated shows at metacritic, which pools critic reviews from various legitimate outlets (ratings history for old shows must be hidden or i can't find it as of today for some reason). not that I really care what critics have to say to begin with, but just saying... I would have to agree that these 3 really are really the cream of the crop as far as TV offerings.. and I think BSG is far better than the other two and certainly better than any other show that's ever been on TV. You say it's overrated by fans of the genre but it really is a genreless show. and all the people who write the show off because they think it's "lol sci-fi" are the ones missing out. numerous critics have all agreed that the show has the best acting troupe to ever grace the screen, period. you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise.
Originally Posted by Biggskip
I'm doing that thing now where it starts off as a slow chuckle and builds to a large cackle.
^ perfect example of an ignoramus writing the show off probably because it's on a sci-fi channel.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ummm, just FYI- Sopranos, The Wire, and Battlestar Galactica are the 3 highest scoring all-time rated shows at metacritic, which pools critic reviews from various legitimate outlets (ratings history for old shows must be hidden or i can't find it as of today for some reason). not that I really care what critics have to say to begin with, but just saying... I would have to agree that these 3 really are really the cream of the crop as far as TV offerings.. and I think BSG is far better than the other two and certainly better than any other show that's ever been on TV. You say it's overrated by fans of the genre but it really is a genreless show. and all the people who write the show off because they think it's "lol sci-fi" are the ones missing out. numerous critics have all agreed that the show has the best acting troupe to ever grace the screen, period. you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise. ^ perfect example of an ignoramus writing the show off probably because it's on a sci-fi channel.
I have no doubt that the show is quite good, but making statement that it is twice as good as Sopranos or Breaking Bad is pretty bold. Oh wait, upon re-reading I see where you have also claimed it be better than The Wire. That's just plain silly.

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
ummm, just FYI- Sopranos, The Wire, and Battlestar Galactica are the 3 highest scoring all-time rated shows at metacritic, which pools critic reviews from various legitimate outlets (ratings history for old shows must be hidden or i can't find it as of today for some reason). not that I really care what critics have to say to begin with, but just saying... I would have to agree that these 3 really are really the cream of the crop as far as TV offerings.. and I think BSG is far better than the other two and certainly better than any other show that's ever been on TV. You say it's overrated by fans of the genre but it really is a genreless show. and all the people who write the show off because they think it's "lol sci-fi" are the ones missing out. numerous critics have all agreed that the show has the best acting troupe to ever grace the screen, period. you'd be hard pressed to argue otherwise.

I enjoyed BSG (except for the poor ending), but I would definitely say that it's not nearly as good as The Wire or Breaking Bad. I would however say The Killing, although enjoyable, is not nearly as good as any of the three. Oh, and I just want to add my love of Six Feet Under (at least the first season), which I would definitely put up there as a great show.

Biggskip

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78
I would definitely say that it's not nearly as good as The Wire or Breaking Bad. I would however say The Killing, although enjoyable, is not nearly as good as any of the three.

Agree on both points.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What a terrible episode. I know they're waiting for the warrants and all but an entire episode dedicated to Lyndon and her terrible parenting skills?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics