• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, that was intense.

From an outside viewpoint, and someone with no experience with Ambrosi, I thought the pants look fantastic. I love that cut, and I can see how it's still comfortable, yet supremely elegant and slim. This is coming from a Dior Homme guy, so the thought that a MW brand might have sleek pants is something of a revelation.

Re: Ambrosi himself, he sounds extremely affable. Yes, he has a shady undertone with the delays and all, but someone who's a rockstar-tailor has to have his quirks.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
I truly can't be bothered to try to figure out where the nuclear levels of disagreement in this thread came from; it has all the appearance of a schoolboy argument over who's father is the toughest. I think what we can all agree on is

1. Ambrosi make some very good trousers (I had five or six made back in 2008-10 and the only other trousers that come close in terms of fit and finish are my chittleborough and Morgan trousers, though the style is clearly very different)

2. Salvatore, whilst personally very pleasant, has never been an exemplar of reliability (my first two pairs pf trousers took nearly a year and many a chasing email to arrive. I have no idea how reliability is nowadays, though reportedly it has improved if you order through the armoury or drakes)

The lack of punctuality was pretty much known when I ordred my trousers (as it will have been to anyone doing even the tiniest amount of research) - but the cost-to-quality was astonishing. I knew what I was getting myself in for - and ultimately i got everything I ordered. The proposition now is very different - great trousers, but at a price more in line with the global market, and improved service levels.

Is there anything I am missing?

R-O-T

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think, for 68, my dad is still pretty tough.

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^u forgot the menswear bloggers that are promoting him and say that his dodgy behavior was just in the past...

Last edited:

JensenH

Reaction score

Wow, that was intense. .

I posted in response to DWW's comment: "I also think there are a lot of people who come into this thread to **** it up or to revel in gossip (Journeyman, Jensen, and others). They'll say things like they'll never buy from such a dishonest person, but they were never going to buy bespoke trousers in the first place -- so that kind of comment just adds to this sort of crazy, negative, pile-on that happens in this thread."
(Italic added)

Not knowing anything about me, my bespoke experiences (which I have), my finances or spending habit, he presumptuously implied that I lack the financial wherewithal to buy from Ambrosi and therefore is critical of him.. FWIW, buying multiple pairs of Ambrosi is of no financial significance to me.

Moreover, he asserted that I gossip which is absolutely, categorically untrue. I have never PMed him, or he me, period. Nor had I made one single gossip post on SF since becoming a member. So this in fact is a case of libel.

As for his accusation that I like to pile it on and **** it up on other threads, I asked him to cite some examples. He has been silent thus far.

Then EmptyM jumped in and continued where DWW left off (is this considered piling on?) After digging through all of my posts, the 3 he cited that supposedly show I am a piler-on and reveler of negativity are just laughable.

The first post was my humorous recap of a lengthy thread on Gennaro Paone. A SF member responded to my post with this: " Thank you for this succinct (and accurate) report. :). Another simply posted this: :crackup:

The second post was my observation that fawners are all too willing to overlook fit problems if the wearer is a member of elite status.

The third post (which was deleted by EmptyM previously) was me characterizing a senior member as being crabby (I mistyped it as crappy), which was obviously meant in jest.

If these 3 posts make me a piler-on and ****-it-up. Then DWW and EmptyM sure have unique definitions of these terms.

Why EmptyM and DWW are defending Ambrosi is rather transparent to most SF members. But they should not obfuscate and deflect attentions from SA' s lack of professionalism and business ethics by attacking those with opposing views

They are happy with SA. That's their valid views. I accept that.

Others are unhappy given the ample evidences. Those are equally valid views. I was hoping they would have the courtesy and objectivity to accept those.

Finally, I hope their accusatory posts are not attempts to suppress others' freedom to express their views of SA, because that would truly be odious.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Thank you for your thoughts, JH. I can see that you do not like being called negative, and I am glad for it. I also appreciate your holding forth courtesy and objectivity as standards to aspire to. If you are as courteous and objective as you ask others to be, I think you would admit it that your your "humorous recap" and other posts that simply express your "sincere opinion" were mocking and insulting. They sought to be humorous, but it was at the expense of others. There may have been some truth to them, but by taking an extreme position and lacing your post with insults, they went beyond courtesy and objectivity. And those three were only examples, as I said. You actually called that person crabby four times or five times. How you could play the champion of Foo here while ridiculing him elsewhere is surprising. But I'm happy for the change in any case.

I am also grateful that you now respect others' positive opinions re. Ambrosi, since your previous position was different:
Quote:
Many other forum members have similar experiences. Now that people are warned, those who still order from Ambrosi are either suckers or masochists.

Again, I am no apologist for Ambrosi and have criticized him recently and previously. But I think the criticism of him and others should be, as you said, "courteous and objective." This is why I criticized the piling on of Ambrosi as well as the piling on of Snikta.

Whatever the past, why don't we just agree to be courteous and objective moving forward?

Last edited:

JensenH

Reaction score
"I can see that you do not like being called negative"
Do you? Does anyone? Especially when you baselessly asserted that I "revel in negativity"? My valid criticism of SA"s lack of business ethics and his outrageous personal conducts is considered "negative" in your book? But it is not just about being "called negative", DWW falsely accused me of gossiping which is libel.

"your "sincere opinion" were mocking and insulting"
If you are against mocking and insulting, why do you repeatedly accuse me of piling on and reveling in negativity? Is that not insulting? Why do you call Kuro "nuts"? Is that not insulting? Do you fail to see the hypocrisy in that?

"You actually called that person crabby four times or five times."
I called him cabby ONCE -- in a single post you as a moderator deleted shortly after it was published

"How you could play the champion of Foo here while ridiculing him elsewhere is surprising."
I am a straight shooter and call it as it is. If I find exception with his behavior, I call him out for it. If he is the target of vicious personal attacks, I speak out against the attacker. That is not "surprising", that is being unbiased.

"I am also greatful that you now respect others' positive opinions re. Ambrosi,"
I wrote "accept" -- which is very different from "respect." You and DWW may be sincerely trying to defend SA because he is a friend, or you may be doing this to curry favors. I don't want to speculate, so I accept your opinion of him.

"Again, I am no apologist for Ambrosi"
Oh, really? Snikta wrote about his experience from a first person account and provided overwhelming evidence. DWW posted hearsay. Yet your took his and SA's side.

P.S. I see that you have edited your post. My comments are in response to what you have previously wrote.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
As I mentioned, let's move forward. Here's to a courteous and respectful future.
cheers.gif

alset

Reaction score
HI Guys,
New to Style forum. I just have to say that My one experience with Salva was actually flawless. I was on vacation with my wife in Capri and decided t stop by his place. Picked some fabrics, styles etc ect. Did the first fitting and left. 3 weeks later all 4 pants were in my hand.

9thsymph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
B
HI Guys,
 New to Style forum. I just have to say that My one experience with Salva was actually flawless. I was on vacation with my wife in Capri and decided t stop by his place. Picked some fabrics, styles etc ect. Did the first fitting and left.  3 weeks later all 4 pants were in my hand. 
[/quote

Hmmm...interesting first post...

If I were slightly more cynical I'd say the timing of post this smacks of some form of manufactured PR.

But since I'm not, I'll just say thanks for the input and wear your pants in good health!

I hope when I order from SA that I'll have an equally nice experience to report as well...

alset

Reaction score
@9thsympth I would be cynical too. Truth I'm not the type to post anything but I did have a good Experiance with Salva and thought he was a pretty decent guy. After reading the last few posts just wanted to relate my experience. :)

alset

Reaction score
At the jersey shore for the weekend so only have 1 pair to post. Can post balance tomorrow

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads