1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

^^ He works even harder in taking people's money. :nodding:

1 person likes this.
  2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Return of the King.

3. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Although it's not really objective for Crompton, because he doesn't have to pay for his clothes... he doesn't have to worry about the uncharge for more expensive clothes.

(not knocking ambrosi - just crompton, and his 'objectivity')

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. snikta

snikta Member

He's already worn himself out. I am still waiting for my June 2014 order...

1 person likes this.
  5. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am wearing some Ambrosi pents today. I have no complaints.

6. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

It sounds like most tailors from Naples source their pants through Ambrosi. Do members who interact with Ambrosi directly prefer to use him as their fitter? I think each cutter/tailor/fitter tend to fit things a certain way then Ambrosi with all else being equal.

That's unfortunate, did you go to him directly or through a trunk show? Given the price point he now charges one would think they would have your pants on the agreed upon date.

This thread is madness.

7. snikta

snikta Member

I went to him directly. Ordered my first pair in March 2014, which I received in what appears to have been record time (~7-8 weeks).

I had read about long waits with his orders in years past, but my pants arrived in under 2 months... so I assumed he worked out those issues, and I placed another direct order for two more pairs around the end of June 2014. Had the fitting in October 2014, at which point I ordered a third pair. I am still waiting to receive the two pairs from that June 2014 order. I never paid for the third pair which was ordered in October 2014, so I'm not too worried about that.

He answers maybe 1 out of every 4-5 emails I send, and it has gotten to the point that I just send absurd emails now to entertain myself, because I can no longer take him seriously. The last time I saw him (May 2015) he told me, "you will receive them next week."

I emailed him again when I was in Naples last month and he told me he was already in Florence for Pitti. Then I called him while in Florence a day later. I called from an Italian phone number, and when I announced myself I could tell he was trying to formulate an excuse on the spot. This time he told me he was on the train to Florence from Naples, and that he would call me back later. He never did.

He finally sent me a text message three weeks ago admitting that he lost my pants during his factory move and guaranteed that I would receive them by the end of the following week. It is now two weeks past that date, and I have not received the pants.

If he told me last year that the wait would be over a year, I might have been OK with that. It's the lying that bothers me most.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
    2 people like this.
  8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

:confused: It sounds like he doesn't value his indivdual customers, and is only interested in expanding his brand across the globe.

9. Odd I/O

Odd I/O Senior member

I'm curious to know why not? Is it because you don't trust the other party not to mess up your pants?

10. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  11. chogall

chogall Senior member

Individial customers? Pfft. Better seek cover with the Chinese menswear mafia to get your orders delivered.

12. SeamasterLux

SeamasterLux Senior member

Ambrosi is a very nice guy. I don't have the same opinion about that many people in this industry but quite clearly Ambrosi, Formosa, Nicola Ricci and Luparelli are the nicest guys I know in Italy.
    He's very far from being a piece of shit @Kuro

As for his preference, I think he's just overloaded with work and he has a totally crazy travel schedule. His refuse to compromise on quality and to outsource his work to third parties makes the wait potentially long. I don't mind. That's why I go bespoke. If I were in a hurry, I'd buy RTW or order MTM.

2 people like this.
  13. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

It seems to me that Mr. Ambrosi is very selective to whom he's very nice. Namely, everyone who is professionally related or influential in the igentosphere.
    'Mere mortals' are kept at bay almost indefinitely with conspicuous evasive lies.
    Have you read @snikta's posts?

3 people like this.
  14. Kuro

Kuro Senior member

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
    2 people like this.
  15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

"Salva" must be one heck of a charmer, as he consistently over-promises and under-delivers, and yet many people (Andrew of a Timeless Man blog included) describe him as a friend or as being nice, despite his repeated examples of shonky behaviour.

2 people like this.
  16. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

As much charm as he may have, you have to question people who condone (or even praise) his sort of behavior while charging a motza for it (I don't care how good his trousers may be, his behavior to his clients is unacceptable no matter how fine the end product might be).

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

I met him once, smoked a couple cigarettes, had very pleasant chats. Very nice guy indeed.

But said nothing about his ability for on-time deliveries.

I personally would only order from him via one of the trunk show hosts, specifically the Asian #menswear rich boy mafias. Anyone else just have not enough leverage to make him deliver on time, unless they are a notable menswear blogger based in Europe.

Hell, even all the crying and bitching by Foo on SF isn't enough to make him budge.

1 person likes this.
  18. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

With the way he conducts business and treats people, I wouldn't order from him at all. It's not like he's the only (good) trouser maker in the world for pete's sake.

1 person likes this.
  19. aussieboy

aussieboy Well-Known Member

It's not the time to delivery per se that people get upset about. It's the over selling and under delivering. It's the lies and deception. If he were honest and upfront at the start and informed people that delivery might take up to 12 months, i doubt he'd be getting this sort of backlash.

20. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

It's interesting to see how some people romanticise and personalise the purchase of clothing, and put it in a category quite separate to that of other purchases.

I wonder if Ambrosi customers would feel the same way if they were, for example, buying a fridge or something similar?

The fridge salesperson might be really nice, might offer them a coffee, might chat with them about football and mutual acquaintances and so on and they might be a really nice person. However, if they promised you that the expensive SubZero fridge that you'd ordered would be ready for delivery in a few weeks, but then you didn't receive your fridge for another eleven months, and the intervening period was filled with excuses, evasions and outright avoidance, would you still feel that the fridge salesperson is a "nice guy" and a friend by the time you finally got your fridge?

I'd guess not. In fact, I'd hazard a guess that you'd never want to do business with the person again, that you'd let all of your friends know of your bad experience, and that you would quite possibly have phoned your credit card company to reverse the purchase within the first couple of months of waiting. For some reason, though, expensive trousers that are hand-made in Italy evoke different emotions.

5 people like this.