1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. gazman70k

gazman70k Senior member

Beijing | Hong Kong | Manila | Shanghai | Singapor
    My condolences to those affected. I just can't decide if they have been Ambro-zied or Napoli-ed. Sort of the similar dilemma of whether Naples is the Calcutta of Europe or Calcutta is the Naples of Asia.

2. S. Magnozzi

S. Magnozzi Senior member

Well, yeah. One of the great things I've heard about amrbosi is how they shape the trousers. That's done with an iron and the effect isn't permanent. So do you send them back to italy to get pressed? With the turnaround time you might get to wear them once a year.

I cannot tell if you're being facetious or not but regular ironing following the creases works fine...

3. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I cannot tell if you're being facetious or not but regular ironing following the creases works fine...

He's not talking about pressing, he's talking about shaping i.e. stretching/shrinking areas of the cloth with an iron.

4. S. Magnozzi

He's not talking about pressing, he's talking about shaping i.e. stretching/shrinking areas of the cloth with an iron.

Yes, but the same answer applies. I press my trousers based on the creases and they maintain their shape just fine.

5. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

Yes, but the same answer applies. I press my trousers based on the creases and they maintain their shape just fine.

The iron shaping is inherently temporary. The cloth returns to its original shape over time, and humidity/steam accelerates the process. The trousers then need to be carefully pressed to achieve the same effects as the original shaping. Jeffreyd has written extensively on this topic, so you should probably read up before posting further.

6. Big A

Big A Senior member

- [​IMG] - [​IMG] = [​IMG] + [​IMG]

A brilliant summation ... I'm not sure anything more can be said.

7. NorCal_1

NorCal_1 Senior member

Ambrosi + Jantzen Tailor ought to merge... and rename themsevles 'Scusi'

8. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

So if I'm reading correctly, the Ambrosi magic is in the sewing/construction and not the fit?

9. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

So if I'm reading correctly, the Ambrosi magic is in the sewing/construction and not the fit?

Both.

10. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]
    Btw, how was Utah?

Sick, though the half pipe was super icy on one side.

11. S. Magnozzi

The iron shaping is inherently temporary. The cloth returns to its original shape over time, and humidity/steam accelerates the process. The trousers then need to be carefully pressed to achieve the same effects as the original shaping. Jeffreyd has written extensively on this topic, so you should probably read up before posting further.

I know what you're speaking of, and naturally garments will mold to wear and your body over time. That said, I maintain that the general shape is upheld fine by anyone being somewhat capable of handling an iron.

12. Big A

Big A Senior member

No. I don't swim in the ethno-class-obssessed frame-of-mind that you can't find your way out of. In fact, I think it's laughable to infer anything about 'class' based on the fact someone lives in Brooklyn. You done caught your own tail. You must be a lunatic. You're the one who brought up my Asian-ness, insinuating that I'm somehow trying to rise 'above' it by using Italian tailors, yet remain nonethless 'just' an Asian. Truly disgusting sub-texts When the f*ck did I say I was better than him?!? His experience with tailors has nothing to do with the fallacy of his economic argument--it has everything to do with his claim that his tailor is every bit as good as those better-known and of higher repute.
    I, like many before me, have come to realize that arguing with you is like playing "fetch" with a slightly retarded bulldog ... Just when you think you've gotten somewhere, it runs back into the wall. I should have gone with the simplest form of the argument, which was: stop acting like a superior prick just because you've commissioned a bunch of bespoke garments from a foreign tailor. You didn't have to say you thought you were better than NYR - it's rather evident in the "subtext" you keep referring to. One doesn't usually talk down to a person he considers an equal. Also, your "cool with that" statement smacked of classism - funny from someone who purports to never even have considered the subject (the horror! where's the divan, I might faint!) I'm not saying you're necessarily a snob, although that's what the evidence suggests - you might just be an asshole. Finally, I wonder if you've had the opportunity to compare Ercole's work with Ambrosi's? If not, how is your opinion any more valid than NYR's?

13. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

Are those Foo's pants? They look great. I guess i can see why everyone puts up with his crap if they look that good.

14. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

I know what you're speaking of, and naturally garments will mold to wear and your body over time. That said, I maintain that the general shape is upheld fine by anyone being somewhat capable of handling an iron.

We're not talking about garments molding to the body over time. We're talking about the cutter using an iron to stretch/shrink the cloth so that the garment takes a particular shape even before it is ever worn. This shaping is temporary, and the garment needs to be pressed with a specific technique, preferably by an expert, in order to restore it.

15. S. Magnozzi

We're not talking about garments molding to the body over time. We're talking about the cutter using an iron to stretch/shrink the cloth so that the garment takes a particular shape even before it is ever worn. This shaping is temporary, and the garment needs to be pressed with a specific technique, preferably by an expert, in order to restore it.

Again, I am not refuting this. I simply state that the shape will be maintained fine by careful regular pressing (mostly flannels and linens in my case). Whilst I understand and welcome the need for having jackets professionally pressed (by the very tailor if possible), I fail to see the same utility when it comes to trousers.

16. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

Sick

Nice.

the half pipe was super icy on one side.

Wait, you ride the pipe?!?! Pics or gtfo. [​IMG]

17. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

Wait, you ride the pipe?!?! Pics or gtfo. [​IMG]
    Shaun Whnay?

18. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Ever heard of the magic number referred to as the "golden ratio"?

Let's see...

[​IMG] established that his other pants (hereby labeled "b") have 60% of the handwork of his Ambrosi pants (labeled "a")

So we have:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the other hand, the golden ratio derived by the quadratic formula is

[​IMG]

Yes, you correctly identified a 3% difference between these two numbers.

Is it at all possible that [​IMG] 's 60% number was a little bit of an approximation? I say that's possible... it's possible...

19. edmorel

edmorel Senior member Dubiously Honored

Shaun Whnay?

whnay's was riding pipe when shawn was still in his diapers. whnay is an old school pipe rider.

20. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

whnay's was riding pipe when shawn was still in his diapers. whnay is an old school pipe rider.

LULZ