1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cantabrigian

Cantabrigian Senior member

My last post wasn't remotely trolling. I offered my opinion and the reasons (such as they are) why I hold that opinion.

Posting the chainz video when you were talking about your gold plated, monogrammed locker loops was kinda trolling. But it was fairly innocuous as far as trolling goes.

To make this discussion suck slightly less. Let's do this. I'll take a few photos of a pair of Ambrosi trousers and I'll try to point out why I like the fit. You can do the same with a pair you've made.

That may (hopefully, possibly) spark a discussion on how trousers should fit.

1 person likes this.
  2. Cantabrigian

To be clear, I'm not recommending the current Ambrosi who either may not deliver (on time) or who costs a firstborn through the Armoury.

I can, however, recommend 2009 Ambrosi who made a very good pair of pants at a very good price and in a normal travelling tailor timeframe.

1 person likes this.
  3. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If only we had a time machine, so that we could buy a pair of trousers on time and at half the price!

4. David Reeves

David Reeves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Why are you so offended and fixated by an internal coat chain sold by Richard James Weldon? Its weird, like 5 posts about it. I mean of all the things. Its quite an innocuous piece of hardware used on lots of Savile Row suits for the past 100+ years. If you want a pair of pants without the chain just say erm Dave no need for the chain please, the clues in the name, "Bespoke".

http://www.richardjamesweldon.com/

Anyway as to your suggestion about fit pics, sorry, too busy to get into a protracted internet battle with an idiot. You will have the last word here because I wont post in this thread again.

5. Cantabrigian

There's a distinct possibility that Titsworth has worked it out.

6. mktitsworth

mktitsworth Senior member

The problem is in computing the effect a flow of money from future to past will have on the overall economy.

7. Cantabrigian

That sounds like someone else's problem.

Tell Salvatore I said hi. Or will have said hi. Or whatever.

8. lordsuperb

lordsuperb Senior member

"We're all just ordinary people" (john legend voice)

This thread could've been legendary.

9. A Y

A Y Senior member

My impression when the menswear fora discovered Ambrosi was that everyone was impressed that he had achieved the trinity of fit, style (silhouette, whatever you want to call it), and handwork like no one had before. He also seemed very fast and could hit the fit with 1 fitting. He was a bit expensive even then, as there were discussions how much pants were actually worth. I forget if that was approximately when the 2-inch cuff thing started taking off too due to all of the Ambrosi fit pics being posted.

10. othertravel

othertravel Senior member

I will defend anybody's right to ask incisive questions about a product. But often times, especially on the Internet, civility is the first attribute to be lost.

Making a statement like 'your level of taste is rather low' either makes you a styleforum deity whose knowledge is too dangerous to impart to us mortals, or somebody with a chip on their shoulder.

Don't want to make a big deal out of this, but civility is a big thing for me (used to work in politics!).

11. Knowledge is King

Knowledge is King Senior member

The 2"/5cm cuff thing was loooooooong before 2009 and would be hard to attribute to Ambrosi specifically

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. Cantabrigian

Talk about what's in good taste or not seems like pretty standard fare on SF.

I think it's rather clearly implied that each such judgment belongs only to the individual making it. This is very much the place where other enthusiasts offer opinions and each reader does whatever he wants with that information.

I suppose 'in bad taste' is shorthand for 'what I personally consider to be in bad taste, rather than what I simply don't prefer myself' but I don't think you gain much clarity through the extra keystrokes.

1 person likes this.
  13. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

There are many that present opinions as their own. But, there are quite a few who present opinions as though they and only they have the correct information.

14. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

I am the world's leading authority on my opinion!

5 people like this.
  15. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Short of stripping this of all personality, I'm not sure how Canta could have made it more clear that this is his opinion. He acknowledges the apparent quality of the Reeves suit, and says that the styling is not for him. i.e., he doesn't think it's in good taste.

If this is trolling, we might as well shut down StyFo.

2 people like this.
  16. Cantabrigian

Manton speaks for God*.

I thought that exception was well enough understood that it didn't merit mentioning.

* except when he's wrong (red ties...)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  17. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Your love for red ties merely confirms that you're a heretic.

18. Big A

Big A Senior member

In unrelated news,some sort of creature has eaten three small holes in my pents. This has never happened to me in my life. I've checked everything else, no other issues, I've aggressively treated the closet so no life forms can survive therein, and partially paneled it in cedar (I'm not kidding). I guess the pents were just too irresistible on a molecular level, so never question the value of the pents again

In all seriousness, trash or reweave? It's a more open weave fabric so I believe it might be possible. Thoughts?

19. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Senior member Dubiously Honored

How small are the holes, where, and what kind of fabric?

20. Cantabrigian

I don't love red ties. But I'm down with a good one.

Yellow ties, however...