Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mmkn

mmkn Senior member

Anywhere there's heat/sun involved, you can expect some form of added time.

Don't forget humidity.

- M

2. Wes Bourne

Wes Bourne Senior member

3. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

4. comrade

comrade Senior member

as an australian, im going to take offence at the comment some time next month

Good point. Now we're talking about culture, not climate.

5. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] done get fucked?

[​IMG]

6. quar

quar Senior member

I enjoy the passive-aggressive exchanges between Foo and NYR. That is all.

7. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

The reality is that true craftsmanship is hard to come by in this world. The other reality is that we expect people to under promise and over deliver. If you you want the former, you might need to relax your requirements for the latter.

8. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Ha ha, now it's class warfare.

Class has got nothing to do with it. Although, that you think so only goes to prove the effectiveness of NYR's constant insinuation to the contrary. I get it now. Poor tailors, poor schoolteachers. Can't stop making clothes, can't stop buying them. Can't think for themselves, apparently.

Fucking twit.

What, don't like 'em big words?

Didn't realize I was being passive.

9. maomao1980

maomao1980 Senior member Dubiously Honored

I'm imagining some kind of show-down, MIchael Jackson Beat-it style, in the Spanish Quarters.

10. Viktri

Viktri Senior member

Really? One guy paid lots of money for pants. These pants are good value and but also expensive. He has no money and no pants. The other guy spouts off about business without knowing anything about business. Skimming his posts hurt my brain. The whole idea that bigger companies necessarily have poor customer service and bigger companies produce lesser quality garments is bunk. The owner chooses to expand and chooses his level of customer service/quality in the people he hires. Blaming this mythical evil business thing is idiotic.

11. Newcomer

Newcomer Senior member

12. quar

quar Senior member

Clearly when Foo stated that "nobody" puts more handwork into pants, he was referring to makers that he is aware of. We all know that. NYR coming in and randomly slaying him for that comment came across to me as insecure and unnecessary. Obviously there was some sarcasm in my description of this exchange as "passive-aggressive".

13. quar

quar Senior member

And that BS that NYR is trying to sell about SF ruining SA's reliabilty and level of service is rubbish. I couldn't agree more with what iammatt has said. Certainly in the business I am in, I refrain from taking on more work than I can handle, so why wouldn't we expect the same of our tailors.

14. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

I want me some pents. That is all.

15. sellahi22

sellahi22 Senior member

The other guy spouts off about business without knowing anything about business. Skimming his posts hurt my brain. The whole idea that bigger companies necessarily have poor customer service and bigger companies produce lesser quality garments is bunk. The owner chooses to expand and chooses his level of customer service/quality in the people he hires. Blaming this mythical evil business thing is idiotic.

Who's blaming "this mythical evil business thing"?

No one is blaming Ambrosi for wanting to expand his business, it's just that he's making a mess of it. To some extent it's understandable; these guys are trouser-makers, not businessmen. If they were doing good business making trousers as a father-son team in their Naples workshop, I really wonder how they intend to maintain quality control and reliability while spending half their time touring the world to take orders. Presumably they'll move to the standard cutter-tailor bespoke model, but I don't see how they will continue to surpass all of their competitors in quality while maintaining lower prices, the way they have in the past. The point is that they will need to figure it out, and there will be growing pains and compromises, but their current customers - especially ones who have helped them build their brand - should not suffer.