Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. voxsartoria

voxsartoria Goon member

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG]

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I think there is nothing wrong with dressy shoes with more casual pants. If the trousers were your 45rpm's I think it would be fine. Pleated flannel trousers and a sweatshirt remind me of the old Italian guys that live on my block, except they wear velcro sneakers.

4. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

[​IMG]

*falls out of chair*

5. OffTheRack

OffTheRack Senior member

Jeans are never 'appropriate'. I wear them when appropriateness isn't an issue--but then, I might also put on my grey flannels.

This is just wrong, and its hard to imagine a place where this is more evidently wrong than Manhattan.

6. quar

quar Senior member

7. srivats

srivats Senior member

Two big differences with his outfits and foo's. Oldog is in the office at work, not at the park on the weekend. He is also not in his 20s. Dressing for the context.
    Age does matter (no matter what SF says) and it does play a role in the message of an outfit. So if you agree that Oldog got the context (wrt age) right, so did Foo. The execution is different between Oldog and Foo, but the both outfits are certainly casual with a similar theme, whether at work or in the park. That was what I was comparing, not the appropriateness of either outfit to its setting.

8. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Age does matter (no matter what SF says) and it does play a role in the message of an outfit. So if you agree that Oldog got the context (wrt age) right, so did Foo. The execution is different between Oldog and Foo, but the both outfits are certainly casual with a similar theme, whether at work or in the park. That was what I was comparing, not the appropriateness of either outfit to its setting.
    I've seen men of oldog's age wear comparable outfits to oldog's outfits. I have not seen men of foo's age wear comparable outfits to foo's outfit. Of course, foo won't agree with me as to what is a comparable outfit.

9. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've seen my grandfather wear dress trousers (including flannels) with sweatshirts / long sleeve t's but he is 89 years old and occassionally shits his drawers.

10. TRINI

TRINI Senior member

I've seen my grandfather wear dress trousers (including flannels) with sweatshirts / long sleeve t's but he is 89 years old and occassionally shits his drawers.
    It's this sort of authenticity that [​IMG] seems to be going for with this look.

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

I agree with Foo's underlying notion that clothes are meant to be worn, and are best worn relatively carelessly.

But sorry, Foo, I don't think the outfit is successful. At a football game, maybe, when it's clear the sweatshirt is the odd man out, something you wouldn't normally wear. But as an integrated outfit for casual wear, no.

The pleats don't help. They are already fairly conspicuous on a young dude these days. They draw attention to the dressiness of the cloth, further seperating them from the casual sweatshirt. I would end up noticing your trou, and I don't think that's what you want. At least if I understand your philosophy of dressing.

12. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

[​IMG]

I actually took a brief look through Mister Mort, figuring SOMEWHERE he had to have a pick of an 88 year old in dress trou and a sweatshirt.

13. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

That's sprezz!

14. IndianBoyz

IndianBoyz Senior member

The bitterness is my fuel.
    I think this is the whole point or reason of you posting that pic. I don't think many people here ever expected such a combination of yours. You didn't get away with it I think. But I'll say it again, you looked comfortable and that's the essence of own personal style.

15. CaymanS

CaymanS Senior member

Nay's gramps = trend-setter

[​IMG]