• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambrosi Napoli

Will

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I specified two cloth numbers for my most recent, prepaid order that was to be ready in six weeks. After three months he began telling me every couple of weeks that the trousers would ship in three days. Another three months later when I met him in Milan he said he would have trousers for me in Naples four days later. In Naples he apologized that the cloth was not in stock (six months later and he hadn't ordered cloth!) and he would deliver in a week. Nope. He could have made the pants in the time it took him to keep stalling me.

After another couple of months he finally delivered. The. Wrong. Trousers. I paid for a 17 ounce flannel and got some lighter stuff. Paid for cream linen and got tan. I won't send them back though as I am no longer confident I would ever see them again.

The crazy thing is that I write about this stuff and know of dozens of pairs of pants that my readers have ordered on my recommendation and he does this anyway!

Oh well. He is a nice guy and will hopefully prove that all this was a one time glitch.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unfortunately this is a drawback of places like this. They turn wonderful merchants, who produce meticulously crafted products, and blow them up to the point that they're growing too fast for their own good. You can't have it both ways (brag about how great a service is on something as wide as the internet and expect to get the same kind of attention). I'm sure now that they have apparently hired some new people, that things will be better, but in my opinion, no one will get the same quality pant from SA now since the business is larger. Before he would inspect every pair he made, now, he'll have people doing it for him.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
I was at my wit's end not long ago and was talked off the ledge (^ ahem) by other members who have shared my frustrations. Salvatore will come through. Why he is uncommunicative, slow, and ... not always forthcoming is a mystery. But he's not a crook.

nixon-crook.jpg

Sure, but half the people here who got their stuff got it after I talked to Salvatore. Is someone else going contact him to ask where my stuff is, then post a thread on his behalf to explain to me that my order's coming soon?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NewYorkRanger
Unfortunately this is a drawback of places like this. They turn wonderful merchants, who produce meticulously crafted products, and blow them up to the point that they're growing too fast for their own good. You can't have it both ways (brag about how great a service is on something as wide as the internet and expect to get the same kind of attention). I'm sure now that they have apparently hired some new people, that things will be better, but in my opinion, no one will get the same quality pant from SA now since the business is larger. Before he would inspect every pair he made, now, he'll have people doing it for him.

This is ridiculous. It plays to the whole poor-tailor-as-victim mentality, which is insulting to all parties. Nobody forces a tailor to take more orders than he can handle.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Will
The crazy thing is that I write about this stuff and know of dozens of pairs of pants that my readers have ordered on my recommendation and he does this anyway!

Yep. That's how I feel.

Big A

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan
This is ridiculous. It plays to the whole poor-tailor-as-victim mentality, which is insulting to all parties. Nobody forces a tailor to take more orders than he can handle.

Knowing that being a bespoke tailor isn't the fast-track to riches (usually), you can understand how a tailor might overextend themselves in pursuit of the almighty dollar (or euro).

Not making excuses for Ambrosi, just saying human nature is what it is.

This thread came along at a good time though. After visiting with a friend who now seems to wear Ambrosi almost exclusively, I was going to finally, after years of deliberation, order some pants from him.

Now I think I'll wait, but I'm kind of irked - he makes a nice product

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Big A
Now I think I'll wait, but I'm kind of irked - he makes a nice product

Not just nice--absolutely exceptional. And that's even without considering the price advantage. Nobody makes trousers with so much handwork. My LH trousers are great, but they don't have quite that level of craftsmanship and cost twice as much.

That's why I will be happy to remain a client if he responds to my e-mails and sends my pants!

You shouldn't be too dissuaded though. Oddly, it seems to be only the old, established clients who make regular, large orders that are being neglected.

NewYorkIslander

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mafoofan

Not really ridiculous, but a reality. Any business, when it grows, is going to go through growing pains. Then it either goes two places, up or away.

To your second point, you're saying that if Salvatore told you he couldn't take your order because he has too much business you'd be cool with that? Bullshit. Because thats basically what he's telling you now by being backlogged 6 months, and you've got your panties in a bunch over it (rightly so I might add). Or better yet, if you were a new client, and wanted a pair of pants, and he said "Sorry, not now, I'm busy," you'd ever return to him for work. Again I call bullshit.

Finally, I may not have tried all of the "best" and most expensive guys, but I also think your claim that "no one" puts as much handwork into a pair of pants is also a bit erroneous.

medtech_expat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also think your claim that "no one" puts as much handwork into a pair of pants is also a bit erroneous.

I hope to be able to do a side-by-side comparison of Ambrosi & NSM next weekend (assuming I get my Ambrosi, of course).

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not really ridiculous, but a reality. Any business, when it grows, is going to go through growing pains. Then it either goes two places, up or away.

To your second point, you're saying that if Salvatore told you he couldn't take your order because he has too much business you'd be cool with that? Bullshit. Because thats basically what he's telling you now by being backlogged 6 months, and you've got your panties in a bunch over it (rightly so I might add). Or better yet, if you were a new client, and wanted a pair of pants, and he said "Sorry, not now, I'm busy," you'd ever return to him for work. Again I call bullshit.

Finally, I may not have tried all of the "best" and most expensive guys, but I also think your claim that "no one" puts as much handwork into a pair of pants is also a bit erroneous.

blah, blah etc.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One big difference. In both situations Foo has no pants but in this situation foo has no money either.

andreyb2

Reaction score
Tailoring business is too serious to let tailors handle it... or so it seems.

Andrey

mmkn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr. Ambrosi needs to charge more money for his works of art.

Recent photos of him SoirÃ
00a9.png
e-ing with the Singapore The Rake boys show that he is growing well.

- M

P.S. Now I understand why Vox referred to Iam as "Matty-Poo."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads