1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

Ambrosi + Jantzen Tailor ought to merge... and rename themsevles 'Scusi'

LOL!

2. Cary Grant

Cary Grant Senior member

lulz

+2

3. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

is this what all the fuss is over?

fit is.. unremarkable [​IMG]

Looks perfect to me.

4. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

Seriously? I'd probably prefer forward pleats, but fit is spot on (break being interpreted somewhat subjectively within an acceptable range).

5. whnay.

whnay. Senior member Dubiously Honored

Fit doesn't seem to be the problem with that fat chicks ass. Sorry if its your wife / gf.

6. srivats

srivats Senior member

Seriously? I'd probably prefer forward pleats, but fit is spot on (break being interpreted somewhat subjectively within an acceptable range).
    I don't get the ambrosi trouser love either ... maybe I am missing something. Tutee made a GREAT thread on good trouser fit. Below are some images from that post that show how good trousers fit -- to my eyes, these look FAR better than ambrosi trousers that I have seen so far, whether or not they are 100% handmade or otherwise.
    Below are pants made by jefferyd of this forum and are one of the best examples of fit in every possible way. Note the completely absence of any puckering, pulling stretching, and above all perfect back balance. [​IMG] [​IMG] *I just wish there was a front picture of these; maybe Jeffery would be kind enough to share that with us Okay so finally in the fun section we will post pictures of our pants RTW, bespoke anything as long as it is a dress pant and fits well. Please post front, side and back (or ¾ profile) pictures. Do NOT post pictures of close-up details of pants or such. This is a discussion about fit NOT construction. You can post anything from JC penny to Kiton and from your local tailor to Knize or SR tailoring houses. Full vs slim, pleats vs flat front, braces vs belts or self-supporting does NOT matter. If it is has a clean waist, seat and leg (front and back) it is all okay. Kindly also share (if you wish) how did you arrived at the fit and if not what did you felt obstructed in this fit process. To start off I am posting pictures of my pants. These are NOT presented as something of a standard all should aspire to but rather one of my best take at understanding some of the fit iussues I described above. These did not came about overnight either. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Below are Vox’s pants from a suit you have seen in WRYWRN thread and he will surely share his comments on these [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

That chick is fat. Oops, is she your wife?

FTFY

8. ctp120

ctp120 Senior member

^^
    Srivats,
    Not sure why you quoted me, as I was going on record as claiming the Ambrosi's fit beautifully, as do the ones in your post, btw. As far as styling, I prefer Vox's save the waist treatment.

9. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

those are all too short in my opinion.

10. Big A

Big A Senior member

Big words still bugging you? Figures. I knew kids like you in college. Spent too much time coping with not being Anglo-Protestant establishment to actually learn anything. The tragedy is mitigated by the fact those sorts tended to amongst the most loathsome.
    This is the first time anyone has referred to me as "loathsome" (that I know of), so it's a bit of a milestone. Pardon me if I get a bit choked up. I don't think I'm the one you originally accused of being bothered by big words, and I don't see any big words in your post, so I'm confused. As for your branding me a self-hating Jew / Catholic who wants to be part of some "establishment" based on an obvious joke, I suspect this is supposed to bother me? Nip away, little chihuahua, nip away.
    It's never too late. If one equates hand-sewing to perfection, then you're right. You've conceded this might be a subjective, rather than objective measure, but I agree! Ambrosi pants are likely better than Ercole's! This was not the point of any of my posts, incidentally -- my point was that you are an arrogant, sanctimonious prick who has little reason to be that way, but I understand taking the points where you can get them.
    I follow. Speaking of exams, was the third time the charm? By at least one objective measure that we know of it seems I can follow the material where you can't, so you might want to reconsider that high horse you've mounted.
    If I ever gave you some indication your vocabulary was too advanced for me, perhaps you can point me to it. This, by the way, is a good example of what I'm talking about. No one mentioned big words or vocabulary, but you somehow end up chiping about it as if it's an issue. The great cosmic joke of it all is that everyone can see that you've developed little-man syndrome -- I mean that figuratively, don't go complaining about size-ism. You develop a relatively small following based on your esoteric expertise in all things Neapolitan, mostly gained by buying things and sucking up to a couple of tailors, and suddenly you go from a nobody to a somebody (on the Internet no less). You inexplicably now feel free to treat anyone who doesn't agree with you like your inadequate yet barely-tolerable serf. The little bit of power you wield -- by way of expertise and admittedly qualified opinion -- has gone to your head and causes you to say things to people from behind the safety of your keyboard that I doubt you would say in real life (evidence: you're still alive). You have very nice clothes and know a lot about tailoring. Outside of that, you are a notorious caricature, a running joke, and nearly everyone but you seems to know it. It's not exactly loathsome, but it is kind of pathetic.

11. Ambrosi

Ambrosi Senior member

Unfortunately this is a drawback of places like this. They turn wonderful merchants, who produce meticulously crafted products, and blow them up to the point that they're growing too fast for their own good. You can't have it both ways (brag about how great a service is on something as wide as the internet and expect to get the same kind of attention). I'm sure now that they have apparently hired some new people, that things will be better, but in my opinion, no one will get the same quality pant from SA now since the business is larger. Before he would inspect every pair he made, now, he'll have people doing it for him.

Unfortunately you get your pants or delayed for this reason, my pants are controlled only by me .... you have so many things to tell about me, but luckily I return to America next month and I have my agenda full of many events ... but I would really much to say about some members of this portal as paying real bad !!!!!

12. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

13. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

Yes!!!!!!!!! Please Tell Us Who Doesn't Pay!!!!!

14. Big A

Big A Senior member

I am actually wearing Ercole pants today. I can't say that I know how they compare WRT handwork. What's clear is that the Ambrosi handwork is much more visible or obvious. Ercole's more fades into the cloth and is harder to spot. However, all visible stitches are by hand. Also, just like Ambrosi, he does a lap down the outer leg seam, also by hand. One difference is that Ambrosi hand tacks both the top and the bottom of belt loops whereas Ercole does them in the more British/American way of tucking the tops of the loops into the waistband. Ambrosi pants have a unique configuration of buttons and fasteners. Ambrosi's have a little panel that attaches to two buttons on the inside plus two more buttons on the waistband. Ercole's are again more British/American: French fly with one button, hook closure, zipper. The silhouette of Ecrole is different. More full, slightly higher rise, deeper pleats. These are "mid-Atlantic" in sihouette. Not as high as SR, not as low as a typical American RTW. Pleats in the English style. Ambrosi pleats are shallower and closer together.
    Thank you for the most informative post on this thread.
    Yup, quite interesting, actually. But not as interesting as:
    Unfortunately you get your pants or delayed for this reason, my pants are controlled only by me .... you have so many things to tell about me, but luckily I return to America next month and I have my agenda full of many events ... but I would really much to say about some members of this portal as paying real bad !!!!!
    This thread is about to transcend my ill-advised bitch-slap-fest with Foo to something legendary . . . .

15. NewYorkIslander

NewYorkIslander Senior member

This is good news for your customers, especially if they don't mind the wait.

Second part, does this mean that people have cheated you out of money, meaning, they commission something with you based on internet chatter and then are never to be heard from again? Thats too bad, and also a result of internet talk. Everyone has balls behind a keyboard and everyone has money as well. When it comes down to real life, balls and wallets shrink.

I'm sorry my only language is English, I'd have loved to have responded in Neapolitan, the language of my grandparents. I do greatly admire what I see here of yours, but just don't have the funds for it.

16. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Manton - to complete your comparison, can you please share the standard rack rate of the Ercole and Ambrosi for a given fabric. Thanks in advance.

My last pair from Ercole was $750. I have paid as much as $900 for a very expensive Dormeuil flannel. Most of what I get is Lesser and his prices have fallen a bit since Lesser is now carried by Isles, which charges less than Jodek.

Salvatore is $700. It was down to $650 briefly when the exchange rate improved but that's over.

The CMT difference is large. Ercole is $450, Salvatore is $600.

17. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

This is the first time anyone has referred to me as "loathsome" (that I know of), so it's a bit of a milestone. Pardon me if I get a bit choked up.

I don't think I'm the one you originally accused of being bothered by big words, and I don't see any big words in your post, so I'm confused. As for your branding me a self-hating Jew / Catholic who wants to be part of some "establishment" based on an obvious joke, I suspect this is supposed to bother me? Nip away, little chihuahua, nip away.

It's never too late. If one equates hand-sewing to perfection, then you're right. You've conceded this might be a subjective, rather than objective measure, but I agree! Ambrosi pants are likely better than Ercole's! This was not the point of any of my posts, incidentally -- my point was that you are an arrogant, sanctimonious prick who has little reason to be that way, but I understand taking the points where you can get them.

I follow. Speaking of exams, was the third time the charm? By at least one objective measure that we know of it seems I can follow the material where you can't, so you might want to reconsider that high horse you've mounted.

If I ever gave you some indication your vocabulary was too advanced for me, perhaps you can point me to it. This, by the way, is a good example of what I'm talking about. No one mentioned big words or vocabulary, but you somehow end up chiping about it as if it's an issue.

The great cosmic joke of it all is that everyone can see that you've developed little-man syndrome -- I mean that figuratively, don't go complaining about size-ism. You develop a relatively small following based on your esoteric expertise in all things Neapolitan, mostly gained by buying things and sucking up to a couple of tailors, and suddenly you go from a nobody to a somebody (on the Internet no less). You inexplicably now feel free to treat anyone who doesn't agree with you like your inadequate yet barely-tolerable serf. The little bit of power you wield -- by way of expertise and admittedly qualified opinion -- has gone to your head and causes you to say things to people from behind the safety of your keyboard that I doubt you would say in real life (evidence: you're still alive).

You have very nice clothes and know a lot about tailoring. Outside of that, you are a notorious caricature, a running joke, and nearly everyone but you seems to know it.

It's not exactly loathsome, but it is kind of pathetic.

Here's the reason why I find you loathsome: you can't help but interpret everything I say in light of my height, class, or race. You respond to me as if I have actually said what you've vividly colored in your mind. When I refute you, you insist that I am playing some kind of game or lying about my true motivations. What I wrote is plain to see. I don't think any sound-minded person who isn't hopelessly lost in their own insecurities would have interpreted me the way you did.

If you actually wanted to participate in this discussion, I assume you would have sought to understand what has been said rather than rave like a lunatic about my desperate need to be more-than-Asian. Yet here you are--unable to escape the very vocabulary and context that you introduced and simultaneously claim to find repugnant.

I came here to find out about my pants. You came here to taunt me. I'd be thrilled for you to prove me wrong.

1 person likes this.
  18. mafoofan

mafoofan Senior member Dubiously Honored

^^^ Speaking of which: Salvatore, I'm still waiting for you to answer my e-mails. Clearly, you are around. This is ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  19. Lightbringer

Lightbringer Senior member

I'm really not sure this ad hominem is really getting us anywhere.

20. geoffmartin17

geoffmartin17 Senior member

This has thread of the year, 2011 potential. And we aren't even five months in...