1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambrosi Napoli

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Ambrosi, Apr 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

I wanted a vicuna sport coat. While I was at it, I also commissioned a 3 piece charcoal gray wool suit and a 2 piece ivory tropical wool suit.

2 people like this.
  2. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

Please post pics. I have to see this.

3. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Sadly, they no longer fit and I had donated them. If you want to see vicuna jackets, I did buy 2 OTR ones as replacement and I can post pictures of those.

4. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

You donated a vicuña jacket? Good man. No worries on the pics...not doubting you.

5. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Every few years, I clean out my closet and drop off an arm-load of suits and sport coats to either Goodwill or Salvation Army. I know I can sell them on Ebay or here on Styfo, but I just don't have the time and inclination to do so.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  6. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

Thanks for your trust. In case there are doubters out there....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
  7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Man. Which Salvation Army do you go to? Emeryville? Treasure island?

3 people like this.
  8. barky

barky Senior member

@SpooPoker Help the man out. At least next time he can maximise the utilisation rate the proceeds for charitable purposes.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  9. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I shouldn't have brought up the "buying trousers" thing.

My point isn't who buys RTW or bespoke, or who spends more on clothes. That's obviously gross and obnoxious. My point was that it feels like some people do little else besides troll threads for gossip or drama. The only times I see Jensen post is when he's slagging off Rubinacci or Ambrosi. And the times I've seen Journeyman post is when he's trying to dig up info about members' personal finances, posting people's WAYWT photos in other forums to talk shit about them, or adding fuel to fire in threads like this one and ToJ.

To Jensen: I don't know if your comment was sincere or not, but I don't get paid to "organize trunk shows." Assuming you can even call what I do "organizing trunk shows." Sometimes I get enough people together to convince a tailor to come out to a certain city. It's not that different from some people here organizing GMTOs. I also don't get paid or compensated by anyone to post certain things on this forum -- that includes Ambrosi. He emailed me yesterday with info that he remade Snikta's first pair of trousers after Snikta put them in the wash, and that Snikta still has an outstanding balance on his order, which is why he didn't get his flannel trousers. I relayed that info because it seemed relevant when everyone was calling him a crook.

10. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

This is the SF answer I was looking for.

Also... please let me know anytime you want to give things anyway. I will pay shipping. Doesn't even matter if not my size.

11. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

Wow, I've seen vicuna overcoats but never a vicuna odd jacket.

12. EliodA

EliodA Senior member

Seems you can pick them up at the Salvation Army every now and then.

2 people like this.
  13. poorsod

poorsod Senior member

I saw a 100% vicuna robe at the Loro Piana sale around $4-5k down from over $30k MSRP. It fit me and I tried it on several times but still couldn't justify the cost.

14. Manton

Manton Senior member Dubiously Honored

I would hope not!

15. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

You got a 501(c)(3) so he can take a tax deduction?

16. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Senior member

Depends on resale value.

17. charlie64

charlie64 Member

Alas I have become so corpulent over the summer that I might not be able to get into at least one pair of Ambrosis ever again. Perhaps I should send it off to forensics for some compare and contrast.

P.s. Mr Ambrosi was once enough of a sport to make up a pair of trousers for my wife. It took a couple of fittings to get them right, but they look very smart in a Katharine Hepburn kind of way. It was my cunning scheme to get her not to mind my secret vice so much. Total failure btw.

18. JensenH

JensenH Senior member

You must have confused me with someone else because I -- to the best of my recollection -- have never "slagging off Rubinacci". In fact, I was at their Naple's shop last Autumn. Just didn't feel it is worth announcing on SF.

I post when I see something outrageous such as dishonest merchants mistreat/abuse/lie to their customers -- anything wrong with that? I wasn't planning to post anymore on the subject until you mentioned my name specifically.

Whether I, or any other posters, plan to buy bespoke pants or not really is beside the point. Your idea that only those who had or plan to order from Ambrosi are qualified to post on this thread is snobbish and nauseating.

As for compensation, not all are in the form of cash. Preferential treatment, price discount, upgrades without charges are all compensations.

In the dispute between Snikta and Ambrosi, the fact that you took Salva's words before all the facts were known is quite revealing. An objective and unbiased person would look at evidences -- which were amply provided by Snikta in the forms of emails and texts -- before making judgment.

6 people like this.
  19. dieworkwear

dieworkwear Senior member

I admit, when I said "people who don't even plan to buy trousers," that was poor wording. I think I tried to clarify that twice earlier. I don't mean for it to be snobbish. What I really mean is: there are people here who like to pile-on, and they seem to do little more than trawl the internet to feed their negativity.

You want to look at facts? Snikta posted about his experience, and then people immediately jumped on, calling Salvatore "a piece of shit" and a "crook." Then T4, Punt, and Charlie64 added that they've ordered plenty of trousers from Salvatore and have never had a problem. Nobody responded to that though, or took it into account, because it doesn't make for very good forum gossip.

Then I posted what I think is relevant information, and something Snikta never disputed: Ambrosi fixed his ripped pants for free (he says repaired; Ambrosi and T4 both tell me replaced) and Snikta hasn't actually paid yet for his full order.

In hindsight, I think I directed my focus too much on Snikta, when what really bothered me is the tenor of this thread. Someone posts something and people immediately jump on -- calling Ambrosi a crook and The Armoury guys "the Asian mafia." It's just a bunch of internet shit talking from people who do little else but talk shit on this forum and elsewhere.

Look: I'm not excusing Ambrosi's delivery fiasco five years ago. I also don't think it's right that he avoided answering Snikta's emails for months, or that he's been late on delivery times. If you think I'm getting any favors, you should probably know that I've had to hound Ambrosi regarding my emails as well. Although, I've also had to do it for a bunch of other places, so I don't get up in arms about it. This past summer, I finally got a reply from a different tailor who owes me six pairs of pants (which I bought a year ago, incidentally) to an email I sent in December. I just expect makers to get back to me in months time, and follow up when I need to, although I also know it can be really annoying sometimes and isn't something to be expected when someone is paying good money.

But when people are calling Ambrosi a piece of shit and a crook, they're the ones that are actually ignoring the facts. The stuff T4 and others posted, and what I posted, were to say "hey, this guy has delivered plenty of times, and he's gone out of the way for Snikta. He fixed/ replaced a pair of pants for free, when he didn't have to." So who's ignoring facts?

Snikta has had an issue with his order -- and it's admittedly annoying. It doesn't warrant people calling Ambrosi a criminal cause -- as far as I know -- he delivers. Is he sometimes annoying to work with? Yes; he's not always the most communicative and sometimes delays happen. Is he a crook and a "piece of shit?" No, I don't think so.

There's a narrative at this point about Ambrosi, which draws people in and encourages them to look for stuff, so they can feed off gossip. But a lot of that narrative was set ~5 years ago, and he's had thousands of fulfilled orders since then. If you want to talk about people ignoring facts, that's probably the biggest one.

1 person likes this.
  20. emptym

emptym Senior member Moderator

Yeah, the "pile-on mentality" irritates me too. You could see it primarily against Ambrosi when Snikta, etc. posted but also against Snikta after you and T4 posted.

Re. "the facts," I certainly don't think anyone has them all. Those several pages of texts showed there had been a lot of communication but not whether the pants had been remade or repaired. It was good of Snikta to admit he hadn't paid the full balance for the three pairs ordered.

At least one good thing came out of all this.
    The video I posted of course. In case you missed it: