• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ambassador hat. Persian or mink?

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is a hat that doesn't even cover your ears really a cold weather hat? Never had one, kinda like the look, but not sure how this beats a Fedora on a day that is truly cold.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Is a hat that doesn't even cover your ears really a cold weather hat?

To handle the brutal cold they often have ear flaps (felt, I recall) that fold down.

Last edited:

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Astrakhan looks amazing, despite the politburo associations. It never really gets cold enough to justify the hat here, but if I lived somewhere where it does, I'd be very tempted.

BTW, the new Prada collection features some fantastic Astrakhan-lapelled overcoats and the like. Man, I want...!
I saw a very nice looking Astrakhan hat at the Prada shop last month. Unfortunately, it wasn't in my size, and the folks weren't able to get one for me.

PeterS

Reaction score
Astrakhan looks great, but not as a hat like this. For reference, LabelKing has a coat with astrakhan lapels. That's freaking awesome. You also need to have a very particular personal style to pull of fur hats of any style. If that's you in your avatar, I'm not sure I would recommend a fur hat for you.

Word!

PeterS

Reaction score
Is a hat that doesn't even cover your ears really a cold weather hat? Never had one, kinda like the look, but not sure how this beats a Fedora on a day that is truly cold.

The Persian Lamb Ambassador have ear flaps one can fold down...if one does that I believe onw would look really ridiculus though.

Tony Newkirk

Reaction score
- Persian Lamb...well, its more iconic..think: Malcolm X, Thelonious Monk, Vince Lombardi, Hakeem (Eddie Murphy - Coming to America)...also, I personally agree with Gdot in saying that the mink seems a little feminine for a guy. I have a persian lamb ambassador hat that I wear formally and casually (urban chic) ...But hey, u do what YOU want!...haha

DJosef

Reaction score
What should be more unsettling is that one of the largest donors to the National Right to Life Committee owns the premier fetal lamb processor in India. Obviously, money and politics counts more than principle.

Or they just have different standards for sheep and humans. :) Which most of us actually do, so let's not be hypocritical.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads