1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Ambassador hat. Persian or mink?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by PeterS, Jan 15, 2012.

1. PeterS

PeterS Member

There are few really cool choices out there for warmth. As far as I see the only choice is an Ambassador Hat. I am a big fan of the persian lambs wool (very special lambs wool actually).
    [​IMG]

The not so obvious choice is the mink version of the same hat. I don't know what to think. I have some kind of vague memory of Lee Marvin sporting one of these in a movie but alarm bells ring. I am no big fan...
    [​IMG]

What do you guys out there say? Persian lamb or mink?

2. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

3. P-K-L

P-K-L Senior member

I would go either mink or have a look at sable and chinchilla as well depending on your hair colour and complexion.

4. uhurit

uhurit Senior member

Mink.

Persian had been worn in the past mostly by aging politburo leaders

5. PeterS

PeterS Member

Answer to "uhurit": I found a pic from the movie Gorky Park where Lee Marvin has a mink one. Still undecisive. The lamb one is very politburo or Afgan Leader kind of. And very out there...Lee Marvin is really cool and I now see that he pulls it off...I am not.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  6. PeterS

PeterS Member

Difficult decision...

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012
  7. PeterS

PeterS Member

I agree in priciple, perhaps. But I have this strange fascination for the Persian lamb one...

8. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

And by Hamid Karzai.

It's also known as a Karakul hat, and is made from the fur of the Karakul (or Qaraqul) sheep, or Karakul lambs to be more precise.
    According to some sources, the best such fur/fleece comes from aborted lamb foetuses, which is a bit unsettling. The fur/fleece is also known as astrakhan.

9. dopey

dopey Senior member Dubiously Honored

What should be more unsettling is that one of the largest donors to the National Right to Life Committee owns the premier fetal lamb processor in India. Obviously, money and politics counts more than principle.

10. Blackunderpants

Blackunderpants Well-Known Member

I think mink looks more classy but you could look like a poser trying to look rich.

11. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Astrakhan all the way. Mink is just too finely textured for a guy. A different, slightly less feminine fur might work as well - such as beaver or such.

As for the cruelty factor - if one wears leather shoes one has no room to talk about any of this any differently.

As long as the animals are raised and slaughtered humanely fur is no different than leather.

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

Astrakhan looks amazing, despite the politburo associations. It never really gets cold enough to justify the hat here, but if I lived somewhere where it does, I'd be very tempted.

BTW, the new Prada collection features some fantastic Astrakhan-lapelled overcoats and the like. Man, I want...!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  13. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I have one in vintage seal. That being said, either shearling, beaver or mink will work.

14. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

Sorry to split hairs here but I think that's sable, which is the marten indigenous to Russia. The movie is about sable smuggling organized by Marvin's character. Sable is considered the most beautiful and richly tinted pelt among martens, which include mink.

Putting aside concerns of looking too Politburo, I think the lamb is the better choice. It's an attractive yet unique "fur" option, but isn't as feminine or associated w/ pimp/NBA as the more commonly seen fox/chincilla/mink fur.

15. musicguy

musicguy Senior member

Astrakhan looks great, but not as a hat like this. For reference, LabelKing has a coat with astrakhan lapels. That's freaking awesome. You also need to have a very particular personal style to pull of fur hats of any style. If that's you in your avatar, I'm not sure I would recommend a fur hat for you.

16. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Is a hat that doesn't even cover your ears really a cold weather hat? Never had one, kinda like the look, but not sure how this beats a Fedora on a day that is truly cold.

17. curzon

curzon Senior member

“Curzon understands the cultural nuances of our ti

To handle the brutal cold they often have ear flaps (felt, I recall) that fold down.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I saw a very nice looking Astrakhan hat at the Prada shop last month. Unfortunately, it wasn't in my size, and the folks weren't able to get one for me.

19. PeterS

PeterS Member

Word!

20. PeterS

PeterS Member

The Persian Lamb Ambassador have ear flaps one can fold down...if one does that I believe onw would look really ridiculus though.