• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazon's new tablet, the Kindle Fire

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Apparently the Nook only allows you to store 1 gig of content that's not purchased from B&N directly too. That's insane.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Apparently the Nook only allows you to store 1 gig of content that's not purchased from B&N directly too. That's insane.

Lame. They pulled that w/ my Nook Touch too. Claimed 2 gigs of memory, only to find out only 200 megs is available for sideloading.

Glad I remembered to save my microSD card from my old Env phone before I tossed it once I got my iPhone heh.

Last edited:

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

the dumbest **** I ever heard. Probably spec'd by douchebag MBAs

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more and more I hear about the Nook Tablet the more I'm surprised (in a bad way). I love how Nook Tablet supporters/owners' main argument is that its rootable! Why wouldn't you buy a device that operates better out of the box? My Kindle Fire is patiently waiting for me in NJ. As soon as I get back from this business trip in Italy, I'm gonna be glued to that thing. My brother picked one up on a launch day as well, and he can't stop talking about this thing. Coming from a die-hard apple guy and huge tech geek / software engineer like him, I'm very impressed. Can't wait to play around with mine.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

the dumbest **** I ever heard. Probably spec'd by douchebag MBAs

To be fair, I have heard that you should be able to increase this with the SD slot. Still dumb ****, I agree.

The more and more I hear about the Nook Tablet the more I'm surprised (in a bad way). I love how Nook Tablet supporters/owners' main argument is that its rootable! Why wouldn't you buy a device that operates better out of the box? My Kindle Fire is patiently waiting for me in NJ. As soon as I get back from this business trip in Italy, I'm gonna be glued to that thing. My brother picked one up on a launch day as well, and he can't stop talking about this thing. Coming from a die-hard apple guy and huge tech geek / software engineer like him, I'm very impressed. Can't wait to play around with mine.

I don't get the rooting argument either. It's a hassle and things don't always work right. Plus you can root just about any tablet if you wanted to, so it's not really an argument for the Nook.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, Gizmodo or Engadget (Can't remember) discussed that 1GB limit in their review. It's certainly not speculation.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I finally got to play with a Kindle Fire today. Display unit at Target. Felt really nice in my hands. Solid and light weight. The screen was nice too. I also found the UI a pleasant change from all the iOS copy cats on the market. What sealed the deal for me is that the Comixology app IS available for it after all. I will be buying one over the next couple weeks for sure. :slayer:

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I finally got to play with a Kindle Fire today. Display unit at Target. Felt really nice in my hands. Solid and light weight. The screen was nice too. I also found the UI a pleasant change from all the iOS copy cats on the market. What sealed the deal for me is that the Comixology app IS available for it after all. I will be buying one over the next couple weeks for sure. :slayer:

+1. I like my Fire. Just needs a few more apps. I've side-loaded Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and Dolphin Browser HD from the Android Market, and they work great. No excuse IMO that these aren't included on the Amazon App Market. Waiting for a newer version of Spotify that will work correctly side-loaded on the Fire, or even better yet, an official release for the Fire. Wouldn't mind a Sirius/XM either.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

You missed out Jr. You could have gotten one for $125 from Target during Black Friday weekend.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

You missed out Jr. You could have gotten one for $125 from Target during Black Friday weekend.

That whole thing was basically a scam that was being pushed by some Slickdeal lowlifes in hopes of finding managers willing to match the price. It was never an official Target deal.

TACO_FLAVORED_KISSES

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
anyone know how efficent the kindlefire is at handling PDF's? Looking for hand-held device, that I can use for my books that have some maths/graphs.

Last edited:

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's one thing I don't get about all these e-book readers, Kindle, Nook, etc. Is how people seem to be happy to buy e-books with DRM(Digital Restrictions Management) but not music. As i understand how a DRM'd e-book works, one buys an e-book from say Barns & Noble, one can read it on their Nook, but one can't read it on say an Amazon Kindle or Apple iPad. To me this is far from satisfactory and would never buy any products with DRM. It needs people and organisations like the EFF to kick up a stink, just like they did with DRM'd music, then maybe we could buy e-books without the nasty DRM.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads