Amazon's new tablet, the Kindle Fire

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Jr Mouse, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

You're right, too early in the morning.

2. Meis

Meis Senior member

Same for me. I'll have to see it in person to decide if the 7-inch screen will work for me.

I'm interested in the fire as an around the house / throw in my bag device. I actually don't give a shit about it as an e-reader as I'm one of those odd people that prefers to actually read a physical book made of paper. I'm thinking - I'd be able to leave my laptop on my desk and browse the internet on the tablet, quickly grab it to check the weather / email on my way out the door, as well as use it in other rooms like my kitchen where there really isn't a spot to easily set my laptop down (I literally have no counter space in my kitchen, not a single inch). Then I can throw it in my bag for browsing the internet / watching movies & tv via wireless when I'm at a coffee shop or the like.

I don't care that it lacks 3g. Adding that connectivity is an extra monthly cost I don't want (and if I want I can always just tether my phone to it as someone else said). I don't care if I have connectivity on my commute as - 1. If I want to quickly check my email I can just use my smartphone, 2. The 3g connection isn't going to be that fast and it'll be even worse once my train goes into the subway (plus I'm on the train for less than 15min anyway).

3. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

You seem like their ideal target customer. I'm with you on that, plus I have my established Kindle e-library. I'll probably jailbreak the iPhone4 and use my 3G connection over tethering on my torturous 1.5 hr commute in the morning and afternoon. I do like not paying an additional fee per month. (Especially considering its about $20-$30/month for the 3G iPad and you cant even get unlimited anymore!!)

4. Mute

Mute Senior member

Looks impressive, especially for the price. The larger tablets like the Galaxy and iPad are great because of the large screen, but you have to make an effort to take it with you. If Fire is small enough to fit into a jacket pocket, it may be a no brainer for me.

5. Sstevemichael

Sstevemichael New Member

kindle is the best e-book reader and wonderful investment for avid readers (holds up to 3500 books), The device is small and light. With kindle we can read many book only with one device. regularry, kindle have three choise, ie kindle wifi, kindle wifi + 3g and kindle DX. More information visit : http://kindle-windows.blogspot.com/2011/07/kindle-wifi-review.html

6. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Excited for the delivery of my FIre! 9 days and counting! :slayer:

7. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

Just found out I need to leave for a business trip on the 13th. GAHHH Must wait longer for my Fire now

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

9. Jr Mouse

Jr Mouse Senior member Dubiously Honored

All of time and space, everything that ever was or
    It's got a little better specs then the Fire, but not by much. It's also $50 more and B&N ecosystem is shit compared to what Amazon has to offer.

10. Jr Mouse

BTW, has anyone noticed all the product shots with children that Amazon has up?

Makes the thing appear a lot larger then it really is. :laugh:

11. Imhoff

Imhoff Senior member

Thus, one of life's secrets.... find a woman with small hands. PROFIT!

12. Jr Mouse

Win. :nodding:

13. javyn

javyn Senior member

Why do you say this? BN has twice as many books as Amazon. I will give you this, BN is way too expensive though.

14. cioni2k

cioni2k Senior member

I'm not a fan of this argument. Twice as many books doesn't mean much when those books are free novels by fledgling authors that no one wants to read. I am willing to bet that ANY book that you would ever want to read in digital format is on both Amazon and B&N.

15. Jr Mouse

Really? Are you talking print? TWICE as many? I find this hard to believe.

I'm talking overall ecosystem. You get the digital books, movies, tv shows, music and streaming. Plus a rock solid, proven, cloud service. Amazon has the edge here.

I know B&N pushed the Netflix app, but the Kindle Fire will have that too.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2011