• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amazing the difference a forum makes

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The "stacking" of the denim is asethetic that is popular with the SW&D crowd, probably analogous to how no break + 2" cuffs are here.

the difference is that one looks good and clean, and the other looks sloppy and ridiculous.

Agreed that 2" cuffs on jeans popular amongst the MC set are "sloppy and ridiculous".

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
1. having pants with no break is a 'clean' look, more conducive to the environment where they're worn, ie the streets are ok with a sort of stacked overflowing look, which would just be tacky in a professional setting.
2. The hem sizes are different, so on narrow jeans, a bit of stacking doesn't look all that sloppy, whereas on dress pants it does.
3. There's something about the sanctity of the denim that once you've bought it, you just wear it, so even though some hemming is done, it's sort of more like you buy them as is and appreciate them for how they were meant to be worn. 4. The denim fabric itself is sort of so valued that you wouldn't want to cut any of it off and just throw it out. You enjoy every scrap.

5. Lastly, I think it's also just an aesthetic choice. Personally I think that some stacking around the ankles has a neat look. With a narrow hem it's not that over the top and it feels more runway/trendy than an office look.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But then there is this guy who posted in that thread who has his pants hemmed within SFMC tolerance.

It's a different look and the excessive stacking doesn't really do it for me. But I think there is a sort of arm's race going on. When there is so much stacking that the "break" goes up to your thighs, there would seem to be a problem. It is no wonder that high-end jeans cost so much. You could make three pair of "normal" length jeans out of some of these.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ pockets are about 15 times too big for everything else.

welcome to "i have eyes", population not you

A moron AND an asshole. So glad you registered.

Setting him apart from the OP, this other guy clearly possesses at least two brain cells to rub together because he seems to have at least a vague awareness of that elusive thing called subjectivity:
Some people might say trousers with no break look as if they're too short; it's a matter of opinion. I'm not personally fond of "stacking" but whatever...

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

That's one of the knocks against Kicking Mule Workshop jeans. Otherwise, by all reports they are a great pair, especially for MC types that don't want much fading.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sheeple in arguments are fun to watch.

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Setting him apart from the OP, this other guy clearly possesses at least two brain cells to rub together because he seems to have at least a vague awareness of that elusive thing called subjectivity:

My last test said I was up to 3 and half actually.

I think this thread is pretty pointless and the OP is probably scrounging for some support as it doesn't appear to have turned out as he planned. I'm sure the SW&D crowd think we look stupid wearing denim with no break, but to my knowledge they haven't attempted to start a flame war.

If you don't like stacked denim, don't wear it that way. If you don't like looking at the pictures, keep scrolling. :foo: Not that ******* hard

Last edited:

james_timothy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I agree with you....

I don't think the SW&D guys think we look stupid wearing denim with no break because even to them it takes a certain kind of jeans (very slim) to stack well.

Pleats, now, or ironed creases on jeans; they think those look stupid.

back to the hopelessness of the OP....

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My last test said I was up to 3 and half actually.

I think this thread is pretty pointless and the OP is probably scrounging for some support as it doesn't appear to have turned out as he planned. I'm sure the SW&D crowd think we look stupid wearing denim with no break, but to my knowledge they haven't attempted to start a flame war.

If you don't like stacked denim, don't wear it that way. If you don't like looking at the pictures, keep scrolling. :foo: Not that ******* hard

ha, support? I think it looks asinine...if you don't, thats your business. I don't need you or anyone else to agree.

Sorry, the jeans in the post linked do not fit...nothing else needs to be said.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A moron AND an asshole. So glad you registered.

wow very bitter.

turnabout has always been fair play, no?

laphroaig

Reaction score
Don't judge the jeans in the first post quite so quickly. It's impossible to tell how they will turn out. They look like they are brand new and most raw jeans will tend to look that way. Once they are given an initial wash they will shrink - especially in length -, soften and conform to the body a more closely. After a few days of wear they should then settle down nicely.

I'm not going to comment on your preference of length but I do not like jeans with no break. Denim is a stiff fabric, it doesn't flow when you move and to me looks odd when not planted firmly against the shoe.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads