• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amateur Shoe Appreciation (Tyrwhitt Loakes & A-E)

jmatt

Reaction score
I am an amatuer at this, but I thought I'd shoe the new Tyrwhitt (Loakes) shoes from the recent sale.

The first shoe is the brown calf leather semi brogues.
The second shoe is the Allen Edmonds Colton in Chestnut. I have intentionally, considerably darkened the chestnut, as I just couldn't pull off the fashion statement as light as they were to start. Someone else here has a picture of chestnut Coltons in the original color.
Third, I show the Tyrwhitt shoe in black.
Fourth: Loakes finishes the bottoms to look nicer than A-E does.

Finally - I took a picture of the labelling inside the Tyrwhitt shoe. The Loakes website confirms the Tweed 2 is made on last 26, and comes in the "G" fitting. The Tweed 2 also is described as having a "comfort leather insole." My shoes are slightly padded under the back 1/2 of the shoe, and I'm guessing that is the "comfort leather insole" as opposed to the "full leather insole."

The color of the brown Tyrwhitt shoes appears to match the "Chestnut" as found on the Loake Durham from the 1880 collection, as found on the Pediwear website. It does not match the "Tan Burnished Calf" shown on the Tweed 2 on the same website. I'd guess this shoe is special to Tyrwhitt, and probably is an upgrade from the main line, but not quite to the standards of the 1880 collection. For example, the shoe has a partial rubber heel like the 1880 line, as opposed to the full rubber heel onthe main line.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice shoes - I have the same ones myself (the Brown and Black Tyrwhitt semi-brogous) and I personally think they look quite nice. I have a pair of AE Concords in Chestnut that I haven't darkened, but I wear them with jeans and they very good as a casual shoe.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Durham (1880) is also 026 last, according to pediwear site.

According to that particular site, only Durham is listed as having full leather insole. Other 1880's seem to have merely "leather lined" insoles (by which I assume half lined).

So far, that is the only thing that casts doubt on "are they 1880" question. Other features such as color, last, rubber insert all seem to point to 1880 (I also have the "sharp brogue" and there seems to be only one equivalent in the Loake 1880 line "Norwich").

BTW, what color polish would you use for the CT "brown calf semi brogue"? I tried using plain old medium brown from Kiwi and it darkened the more tannish CT brown and left parts of darker patina here and there. I think it looks better now, but I'm curious as to what colors others would use.

jmatt

Reaction score
To add confusion: The Durham comes only in fitting "F", while the Tweed 2 comes only in fitting "G". The CT shoes are available in both. Of course, even on Pediwear, the calf collection shoes cost more than the 1880 collection. Bottom line: Who cares. For $85, I challenge anyone to find a better new shoe.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
I just bought Brooks Brothers Pennyloafers (made in Italy) for $50 on end of season sale. They are much better in quality (workmanship and leather) than the CT's I just received.

jmatt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I just bought Brooks Brothers Pennyloafers (made in Italy) for $50 on end of season sale. They are much better in quality (workmanship and leather) than the CT's I just received.
Ahh - but they're pennyloafers. One can hardly consider those even to be shoes at all!
biggrin.gif

(Just kidding. As soon as I posted that, I knew someone would report a remarkable find/purchase)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads