Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Am I too old for contemporary shirts?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by badman, Jan 8, 2012.

1. badman

badman Member

Question, I’m a guy in late 30′s. I have a hard time trying to figure out what I can wear on weekends for a casual look. Now I like straight-leg jeans (levi 505) and a fitted contemporary style un-tucked shirt, but nothing fancy. Solid colors or no pocket plaid shirts like from the rail at Nordstrom. But I don’t want to look like the old guy trying to look 20. What do you guys think. Can I still do this. I want to look casual and sharp without trying to look like I'm dressing out of my age bracket. Help!

I like the look of fitted shirts since I don't need all the extra material at the waist. All I can find online is not to wear heavy logos, baseball caps, and I certainly don't shop at Abercrombie, or american eagle and the like.

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

If you are still built like a young guy there is no reason you shouldn't wear fitted clothing.

In your late 30's you would do well to start moving away from trends 'of the moment' but also should feel free to dress with some freedom. Consider venue as well as age when determining appropriateness. Forty is far from 'old' and you do not need to feel a need to dress exactly like your father.

Your description of what you are wearing does not sound inappropriate for your age - although you might consider tucking in those shirts. Perhaps some pics of your 'look' would help us offer you a more informed opinion?

Another way to not look too young is to focus on quality as higher quality goods seem to be more expected on a man than on a boy.

3. ShaneB

ShaneB Senior member

I'd say tuck in the shirts as well - I'm 24 and I always tuck in my shirts. It just looks a million times better.

Also, I'd say that unless you have very large legs / thighs, I'd scrap the 505 Levis and move onto Levis 519: these are a slim fit jeans that taper so the jeans sit just about the shoe, i.e., unlike 505's they won't envelop your shoe so you'll actually be able to see it. The 519's simply offer a cleaner and smarter look.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

4. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

At your age, it's time to start tucking in your shirt.
    Start wearing jackets, as well.
    That's what this place is for.
    Your goal should be to wear a tucked in shirt with a blazer.

5. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

^ usually, don't agree with Reev, but he is right here...

6. badman

badman Member

thanks for the feedback,

The advice does bother me a bit. I of course tuck at work and feel I look high waisted, which is why I like untucked. Also, tucking with jeans makes me look like a cowboy in a plaid shirt. I just don't like the look of jeans with a belt and tucked shirt. But I am more afraid of looking like I'm trying to dress like a college student.

Can I keep polos untucked. I'm not talking about the rugby kind, more conservative solid color or small stripes without any large logos.

Is there a store for casual wear for over 35? Everything nice seems to be for youth or adult business dress wear.

7. acridsheep

acridsheep Senior member

Grazing on the carcasses of less senior members
    It's fine to wear a shirt untucked with jeans. I can't imagine what people would think if I only wore blazers and tucked in shirts with jeans for casual looks (aside from "My ovaries ache for his progeny," or "I loved you in 300, where do you train?").

If you're looking for a place for 35+ casual, Land's End Canvas is pretty solid.

8. FlyingMonkey

FlyingMonkey Senior member

ROFL.

Personally, I am not a huge fan of the traditional blue blazer unless it's done really well. As a default choice it just seems... a bit lazy. On the whole I'd rather go for one of those nice LBM 1911-type unstructured jackets in moleskin or herringbone. Something with a bit of texture or interest to the fabric that says you actually think about what you wear.

9. MadAboutPlaid

MadAboutPlaid Senior member

I'm 41, and I agree with those that say it's time to tuck your shirt in - you are a grown man. However, polos untucked are fine - even preferable. Usually, a tucked-in polo just looks dorky.

10. .Kurtz.

.Kurtz. Senior member

More than anything, stay away from the gangsta look at all costs.

11. GasparddeColigny

GasparddeColigny Senior member

Try some jeans that sit a bit lower on the waist than the 505; getting away from the 80's highwaisted jeans feel. Tuck every shirt except for casual shorter shirts. Untucking a dress shirt looks rather juvenile.

12. anginaprinzmetal

anginaprinzmetal Senior member

FTFY

just my $ 0.02

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012

13. ethanm

ethanm Senior member

He never said he's wearing dress shirts untucked. I took it to mean shorter sport shirts.

14. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

Lower rise pants.
    Try some solid shirts, not checked
    Maybe it's also time to give up jeans.
    This place is good for exploring wool pants. (Mabitex, etc)

15. badman

badman Member

Yeah, I'm talking about more contemporary casual shirts meant to be untucked (at the proper length) with jeans. Not dress shirts.

To me tucking casual shirts in means resigning myself to looking like a cowboy or looking dorky, or just looking like I'm 60 and pay no real attention to how I look anymore. Then I have no need to spend money on clothes anymore. I'm not trying to look like I have the latest styles or flashy, just casual, wearing cloths that are fitted and look like I didn't buy them at wal-mart.