• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I The Only One Who Is Sick Of "Lad Culture"

dangermouse

Reaction score
It seems like everyone I meet these days is a "lad", and just says very rude things to people in the name of "banter". It seems awfully regressive to me, a sign of the times I suppose.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads
I just read this. They sent a young man to go and spend some time with these "lads". He seemed to get on with them quite well, but the whole experience sounds quite horrific to me.

What's the deal with this lad culture? Is it just a phase or is it just the way things are headed?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

It seems like everyone I meet these days is a "lad", and just says very rude things to people in the name of "banter". It seems awfully regressive to me, a sign of the times I suppose.

http://www.vice.com/en_uk/read/a-big-night-out-withbritains-biggest-lads
I just read this. They sent a young man to go and spend some time with these "lads". He seemed to get on with them quite well, but the whole experience sounds quite horrific to me.

What's the deal with this lad culture? Is it just a phase or is it just the way things are headed?

The Lad culture in the UK is just awful..

Everybody is trying to be Jack the Lad telling you how drunk he was last year in Crete...

Football, lager ,women and very little culture or intelligence is required...

Everybody is calling you mate and love ditching insults to everyone around under the "It's a joke mate policy"...

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Dooosche is more like it...

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dooosche is more like it...

At my workplace , if you do not talk football or golf with your colleagues/managers they have nothing to talk about...

It is becoming like the weather , another English obsession..

Last edited:

yjeezle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

At my workplace , if you do not talk football or golf with your colleagues/managers they have nothing to talk about...
It is becoming like the weather , another English obsession..

isn't that how it is in all workplaces?

AndyMG

Reaction score
I despise lad culture. It's still everywhere over here. A sad hangover from the '90s.

Zoo and Nuts reading, Carling swigging, badly modified car driving neanderthals.

Worst of all, calling everyone 'geeza'.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Nothing I enjoy more than hanging with my lads.

No surprise, it's the 30-year-olds who seem to have a problem with it. :laugh:

Last edited:

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nothing I enjoy more than hanging with my lads.
No surprise, it's the 30-year-olds who seem to have a problem with it. :laugh:

You will notice the stupidity of lad culture when you will be a mature gentlemen..

Being with your mates ,friends is one thing abd being proud of acting like beer louts as a different matter.

Sir Humphrey Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I can't stand it. Sort of people who celebrate St. Patrick's day but not St. George's day despite not having any Irish blood in them at all other than they like to drink Guinness once a year. A spell in the army doing their national service would sort them out.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never came across this lad culture in the UK when I was living there. Is it a recent or London type thing, or perhaps some sensationalist crap that was invented by The Sun or News of the World?

The article just seems to be about young people getting drunk and being stupid with their mates. That's hardly a new thing, they been doing that since time immemorial. It happens in China as well.

Last edited:

ballmouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what is the difference between a lad and a fraternity college kid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics