• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I the only one who doesn't like Cordovan?!

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On this forum as well as everywhere else, there seems to be a major rave about Cordovan shoes. I have never seen a single pair I liked. Other than the shiny look of the leather I don't like its tendency to crease. Or is just popular as an "exotic" leather?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I hav only one pair of cordovan shoes which I like. I do not, however, have any intention of buying any more shoes in cordovan. Like you, I don't quite know the reason for the forums infatuation with cordovan.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
to each his own, that's what makes this forum fun and exciting.

I happen to LOVE shell cordovan anything
inlove.gif
I don't get the fascination with either Edward Green or John Lobb.

Elgin

Reaction score
Is Cordovan worth the money?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
Is Cordovan worth the money?

Ah, the ubiquitous question of "is xxx worth the money?"

It's all up to the buyer. Other than the Brooks Brothers shell cordovan loafer, which I purchased on sale at 35% off, all my other shell shoes were full retail. Despite this, I was very very glad to have them, no regret at all.

So, TO ME, they are worth every penny.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace Tilley
I hav only one pair of cordovan shoes which I like. I do not, however, have any intention of buying any more shoes in cordovan. Like you, I don't quite know the reason for the forums infatuation with cordovan.
Same here. I find it an interesting novelty, and the durability appeals to me, but I don't find it all that visually appealing. I like having a specimen in my closet, but now that I have one -- plain-toe blucher -- I don't desire any more, at least not of the common variants. There are few unusual specimens I like the look of, including LeatherSoul's boot and some of Carmina's offerings, but I've yet to consider opening up the pocketbook for one.

Salsalocust

Reaction score
When one is prepared to sell on as I am; it doesn't pay to let emotional or aesthetic sentiment to feature.

However, it has been with lasting regret that I didn't retain these Tricker's Cordovan Full Brogues for myself... damn...damn...damn...damn

IMG_0006.jpg
[/IMG]

Regards,

Graham

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Salsalocust
When one is prepared to sell on as I am; it doesn't pay to let emotional or aesthetic sentiment to feature.

However, it has been with lasting regret that I didn't retain these Tricker's Cordovan Full Brogues for myself... damn...damn...damn...damn

IMG_0006.jpg
[/IMG]

Regards,

Graham

Those are very handsome. But I like them more in this pic, I think, than I would once all the cordovan creasing had set in. Ultimately I find shell's creasing at odds with very elegant designs; it just seems like a mis-match to me. I think that's why I like shell best in plain-toe bluchers and heavier boots.

I find it hard to imagine wearing shell shoes with sleeker suits.

Film Noir Buff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by stilmacher
On this forum as well as everywhere else, there seems to be a major rave about Cordovan shoes. I have never seen a single pair I liked. Other than the shiny look of the leather I don't like its tendency to crease. Or is just popular as an "exotic" leather?

Am I the only one who feels this way?

I am not a big fan. My feet get warm and sweaty enough without help.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I own one pair of shell cordovan Aldens. I got caught with them once in the rain and now they have permanent, unremovable spots on them. So I rarely wear them. I doubt I'll ever buy cordovan again.

Cordovan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
I own one pair of shell cordovan Aldens. I got caught with them once in the rain and now they have permanent, unremovable spots on them. So I rarely wear them. I doubt I'll ever buy cordovan again.

Wearing them in the rain was the original intent for shoe construction with shell cordovan. With proper care, they are made to be durable and to make it through foul weather. Perhaps next time read up on proper treatment for cordovan; the shoes should be a long-term investment.

Cordovan

Elgin

Reaction score
That's interesting. Has anyone else had this problem?

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Elgin
That's interesting. Has anyone else had this problem?

I haven't - I wear mine exclusively in the rain / snow.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads