Am I the only one who doesn't like Cordovan?!

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by stilmacher, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior member

I haven't - I wear mine exclusively in the rain / snow.

So what is your objection to them? What else would you suggest to wear in such inclement weather?

Cordovan

2. kolecho

kolecho Senior member

Mine sometimes develop spots after exposure to rain, but these spots go away after a while. Cordovan all the way [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Merckx

Merckx Senior member

I don't believe he has an objection to them, I think he was stating he wears his in foul weather and doesn't have the problem MC has encountered.

4. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Senior member

Perhaps next time read up on proper treatment for cordovan; the shoes should be a long-term investment.

They were cared for just fine. In fact, they barely got wet. Basically, I think some of the shell used in them was defective since some of the pieces showed up with spots and some didn't.

5. marlinspike

marlinspike Well-Known Member

Wearing them in the rain was the original intent for shoe construction with shell cordovan. With proper care, they are made to be durable and to make it through foul weather. Perhaps next time read up on proper treatment for cordovan; the shoes should be a long-term investment.

Cordovan

I see this on forums a lot, but Alden of Carmel told me specifically that if shoes are going to be used only in the rain and snow, they recommend calf over cordovan.

6. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I don't have strong feels about shell cordovan one way or the other. Since I have plenty of nice calfskins in my rotation, the superior durability of shell has never justified the added expense in my mind. Perhaps if I did a lot of traveling for extended periods, I would find shell distinctly superior for that purpose. Otherwise, I've just never been sufficiently enthused to pony up for it.

Aesthetically, I rather like it, but a large percentage of the shoes made with shell are on the gunboat-y side.

7. well-kept

well-kept Senior member

It's an odd and unpredictable thing about shell. I have several pairs, worn in every kind of weather. Only one pair of Aldens has developed water-spotting, and yes, it never went away. The others all shed rain and snow without leaving a trace.

By the way, to answer the original question, I love my cordovans and I love my calfskin shoes. Different creatures, which add nice variety to the pleasures of being on my feet most of the day.

8. Eustace Tilley

Eustace Tilley Senior member

I don't believe he has an objection to them, I think he was stating he wears his in foul weather and doesn't have the problem MC has encountered.

+1

9. Financier

Financier Senior member

I'm also not a huge cordovan fan. I'd consider getting a pair for more casual wear -- boots maybe -- but not for something I'd wear with a suit. I just think calf looks better. To each his own.

10. Cordovan

Cordovan Senior member

I see this on forums a lot, but Alden of Carmel told me specifically that if shoes are going to be used only in the rain and snow, they recommend calf over cordovan.

That sounds wierd. I guess they take special pride in their cordovan as that is what they are famous for. Yet, most of their sales are from calf shoes.

At the CSE, I had a lengthy conversation with Ron Rider about this, and he was a strong advocate of cordovan in foul weather.

One of the ways he said they test it, is to line a shoe box with shell cordovan and fill it with water. The soonest that any leather piece leaked through was after 3 days.

Cordovan

11. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

I never liked you ^^, either.

12. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

I haven't bought a pair of cordovan shoes since cordovan loafers were THE only shoe you would wear in Jr. and Sr, High School in Westchester NY in the late 60's. I find their flat color boring. I much prefer the patina you can get from polishing calf.

13. marlinspike

marlinspike Well-Known Member

That sounds wierd. I guess they take special pride in their cordovan as that is what they are famous for. Yet, most of their sales are from calf shoes.

At the CSE, I had a lengthy conversation with Ron Rider about this, and he was a strong advocate of cordovan in foul weather.

One of the ways he said they test it, is to line a shoe box with shell cordovan and fill it with water. The soonest that any leather piece leaked through was after 3 days.

Cordovan

They said it wouldn't actually damage the material, but I would risk damaging the finish of the material.

14. timeless

timeless Senior member

15. billiebob

billiebob Senior member

That's interesting. Has anyone else had this problem?

My Polo Darltons get the spots. They last for months, but eventually go away. I dont wear cordovan in in the rain anymore. The raised spots looks like some kind of sick animal.