• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I the only one who does not like French cuffs?

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A quick search of this forum did not turn up a similar thread, so I start one. I'm six feet tall, 160 lbs. and typically a 39 or 40R OTR. It's relatively easy for me to find nice fitting OTR suits -- Hickey Freeman 39R with a bit of tailoring fit like a glove.

My dress shirts on the other hand, are MTM -- cost is not that much different than nice OTR and the fit is much better. The point of this post is that French cuffs don't work for me, no matter how hard I try. I do have rather thin wrists -- no Panerai watches for me! The extra material folded over is too bulky. The part where the cuffs "kiss" with links is, in proportion to my wrists, too much and does not fit well under suit cuffs. All my MTM shirts are now made with double-button barrel cuffs. I realize French cuffs are judged by some as the only true dress shirt. Anyone else think otherwise?

Thanks in advance,
Twotone

Cordovan

Reaction score
Why can't you have the cuffs made narrower?

Cordovan

ziggyosk

Reaction score
yeah i'm pretty sure you are the only one

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have very small wrists and I love french cuffs, to the point that I wear them with silk knots as part of my business casual work wardrobe (in clear disregard of The Rules). If the sleeve length is correct, I don't have a problem with too much material, and they look great under a suit sleeve.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate them, they get snagged on steering wheels, keyboards etc. Look a bit pretentious too.

theogt

Reaction score
Like most styles, they work for some people and don't for others. I personally have no french cuffs, nor do I ever plan to.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have 67 shirts with mtm french cufss and only 3 with barrel cuffs. I hate trying to button them so only wear french cffs

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by spectre
I hate them, they get snagged on steering wheels, keyboards etc. Look a bit pretentious too.

Huh? I have no clue how you drive or type, but I've never had a problem with the cuffs or the links.

To flat out say the concept of french cuffs is pretentious is a bit much.

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I appreciate french cuffs aesthetically, but in practice I just don't like the way they feel on my wrist. I think it has something to do with putting a teardrop-shaped peg through a round hole. I'd prefer a nice button cuff anytime.

[\\Cruiser]

Tomasso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hate them........pretentious too.
dozingoff.gif

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Dead serious: how do you snag your cuffs on your steering wheel. It is a wheel, meaning it has no corners. Unless you mean you snag your cuffs on your steering square.

mwink[1].gif

fox in sox

Reaction score
French cuffs --> buying cufflinks --> increase in clothing expenditure -->
crazy.gif
when I get my monthly statement

Philosoph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Teacher
Dead serious: how do you snag your cuffs on your steering wheel. It is a wheel, meaning it has no corners. Unless you mean you snag your cuffs on your steering square.

The part of the cuff below your wrist can snag on the wheel if you rest your hand perpendicularly across it. That'll push the cuff straight into the wheel.

If I could draw I'd make a diagram just for kicks.

spectre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Huh? I have no clue how you drive or type, but I've never had a problem with the cuffs or the links.

To flat out say the concept of french cuffs is pretentious is a bit much.

Somehow they bang on the steering wheel when I'm late for work and the car's on full opposite lock at 75mph around a 35mph corner. Annoying.

Maybe they're not pretentious so much as too formal for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads