1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Am I skinny normal or fat?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by JoeCruz, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Mandrake9072

Mandrake9072 Senior member

OP you are a bit of a chub, put down the cheetos and move your body some more, it isn't arugalaology. huh? ...arugalaology?

2. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

He misspelt arugula. But, the joke, as he meant it, was that weight loss is not such a complex concept that it would entail the specialized study of an edible salad green (in this case, arugula). Clever, really-- grammatically correct, or not.

3. resartus

resartus Member

mgm9128, your arguments are super gay.

OP, you should lose some weight.

4. cmew34

cmew34 Member

He could easily be 150 lbs, especially if he is 5'7". I'll bet you $10 that he is not over 160 lbs. He has skinny arms and no shoulders, zero muscle definition. Also, he appears to be Asian, which honestly, does make a difference.

Joe Cruz the Asian man?

5. 604Coast

604Coast Senior member

This is pretty straight forward. Don't eat things you know are shit, don't drink your calories (slurpees, milkshakes, pop), get a gym membership (and actually use it). Cardio (swim, bike, run) 3x /week, lift weights 3x /week. Should see huge change by 6 month mark. Right now you're about as untoned as you could be, I honestly dont see muscle anywhere.

6. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Joe Cruz the Asian man?

Could easily be Filipino. And, we don't know what his real name is, right?

7. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

He misspelt arugula. But, the joke, as he meant it, was that weight loss is not such a complex concept that it would entail the specialized study of an edible salad green (in this case, arugula). Clever, really-- grammatically correct, or not.

Sorry about the spelling, we have a different name for arugula where I'm from we call it rocket or roquette. I was going for it's not rocket science.

8. Pliny

Pliny Senior member

you look fine, mebe some challenges there. I wouldn't order slimfit or a standard cut Bookster jacket, for example. [​IMG]
    the standard measure for overweight is a BMI of 25 +
    that's your weight n kilos dived by your height in metres squared. By that measure the majority of people in OECD countries are overweight, and a sig proportion are obese.

9. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

Sorry about the spelling, we have a different name for arugula where I'm from we call it rocket or roquette. I was going for it's not rocket science.

Even cleverer. We call it rocket sometimes as well, but I hadn't even though of that. What a delicious neologism. I hope you don't mind I use the term, myself.

10. Bond23

Bond23 Member

Hell, lets go back further: Ideal body, 2011: [​IMG] Greek Bronze, 430 BCE: [​IMG] Well, looks like your theory is shot to hell. The 'ideal' male body has not changed in thousands of years.
    You are so fucking wrong. I'm not one to get in the middle of an internet pissing match, but your cockiness will make it my pleasure to destroy you. Maybe to an artist (i.e: the person who made those sculptures) the ideal male body has not changed. But as far as society is concerned it has changed many times. There was a time around the 1800's when being slightly overweight was seen as an attractive trait; it meant you were wealthy enough to eat well. The whole six pack thing didn't come into play until fairly recently, it was a movement started with farmers and other laborers who worked hard and thus developed fit bodies. It has changed in women as well, look at the bombshell pinup girls of WWI and contrast them to models today, and what is currently seen as attractive. To say "ideals" haven't changed in thousands of years is just plain ignorant. However, that wasn't even the argument here. He was simply stating that with todays growing obesity rate in the states, the OP would probably be considered normal, comparatively. [​IMG] So, it would seem you are wrong. On both counts.

11. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

12. pebblegrain

pebblegrain Senior member

You are so fucking wrong. I'm not one to get in the middle of an internet pissing match, but your cockiness will make it my pleasure to destroy you.

Maybe to an artist (i.e: the person who made those sculptures) the ideal male body has not changed. But as far as society is concerned it has changed many times.

There was a time around the 1800's when being slightly overweight was seen as an attractive trait; it meant you were wealthy enough to eat well. The whole six pack thing didn't come into play until fairly recently, it was a movement started with farmers and other laborers who worked hard and thus developed fit bodies.

It has changed in women as well, look at the bombshell pinup girls of WWI and contrast them to models today, and what is currently seen as attractive.

To say "ideals" haven't changed in thousands of years is just plain ignorant. However, that wasn't even the argument here. He was simply stating that with todays growing obesity rate in the states, the OP would probably be considered normal, comparatively.

[​IMG]

So, it would seem you are wrong. On both counts.

if chubby is normal, doesn't mean he's not a fucking chubby

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I'd like to note that perceptions of attractiveness vary a lot between time periods. For example, from late 1800s through the early part of the 20th century, having tan skin used to be the sign of a laborer, rather than being associated with people who had must leisure time. This changed, to a large degree, because of the group of glamourous American ex-pat writers who spent time on the French Riviera for summers (see Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and co.)

You've merely picked 2 isolated examples that more ore less fit your thesis, and even then, it's not very compelling. The musclebound guy was probably more exciting to the Romans, than to the Ancient Greeks, who were really more interested in symmetry.

And this is just taking into account the vast generalizations. Me, I don't find your example of the muscle bound guy very compelling at all - nor, honestly, do most women I know. Their ideal would be much closer to the leaner body of the Greek athletes, triathletes, etc... I've never wanted to be musclebound, though I'd love to be super athletic.

14. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

if chubby is normal, doesn't mean he's not a fucking chubby
    +1
    I'd like to note that perceptions of attractiveness vary a lot between time periods. For example, from late 1800s through the early part of the 20th century, having tan skin used to be the sign of a laborer, rather than being associated with people who had must leisure time. This changed, to a large degree, because of the group of glamourous American ex-pat writers who spent time on the French Riviera for summers (see Ernest Hemingway, F. Scott Fitzgerald, and co.) You've merely picked 2 isolated examples that more ore less fit your thesis, and even then, it's not very compelling. The musclebound guy was probably more exciting to the Romans, than to the Ancient Greeks, who were really more interested in symmetry. And this is just taking into account the vast generalizations. Me, I don't find your example of the muscle bound guy very compelling at all - nor, honestly, do most women I know. Their ideal would be much closer to the leaner body of the Greek athletes, triathletes, etc... I've never wanted to be musclebound, though I'd love to be super athletic.
    First of all, of course I was generalizing. Secondly, I could have posted a picture of say Lance Armstong who is most definitely not a body builder (actually the picture I posted is of Gregg Plitt who is a model, not a pro body builder) and is still far closer to the Greek statues than the OP is. In fact the difference between the OP and Lance and a Greek statue is far greater than Lance and a Greek Statue. Also, the Greeks of the Classical Age were obsessed with their bodies, especially the men. They would work out continuously, shave their body constantly and try to look as good as possible, a trait that the Romans copied (the Etruscans, from whom the Romans 'descended' were not like this at all). Anyways, this is a complete left fork of the OP's question, and it really doesn't matter what 'normal' is. What matters is how to get the OP into better shape.

15. Fang66

Fang66 Senior member

Even cleverer. We call it rocket sometimes as well, but I hadn't even though of that. What a delicious neologism. I hope you don't mind I use the term, myself.
    Feel free.

16. Nicola

Nicola Senior member

Plus cultural differences. Not all countries like the same thing.

Factories killed the pasty look. With every wage slave stuck inside the well off decided it was better to not be. To a certain extent we're swinging back.

It's the same thing with BF levels. Being chubby used to equal well off. Today it means trailer park. Being in shape means you can afford the time and cost of a gym or even a trainer.

The guy is skinny fat. If he was 80kg he'd need a bra. No way he's that heavy.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011