• Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Please visit ou very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are posted, including the latest, updated, very comprehensive, Styleforum Black Friday Sales List

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Am I out of line here? (Tailoring in a men's store)

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Am I out of line here?
Not for asking, but for getting pissed at their answer: yes.

Bottom line is that had they said yes, even if you were paying, you're displacing that store's other customers (for whom, I presume, the tailoring is offered as a service).

Think about it - what if you just bought some items at that store, wanted them tailored as part of the service that they offer, and they say "it'll be two weeks longer than usual because our tailor is busy doing clothers that customers brought in from other places." Suddenly their service as part of the purchase feels more like a burden. Like it or not, that's what your request would have been part of.

Now, had they had the time/bandwidth to squeeze you in, kudos to them. But you shouldn't be ticked that they couldn't.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH

As for devastation, did you know the dry cleaner and his wife seriously considered closing their business, uprooting their lives to move back to Korea whence they came because they were so stressed out? Things turn out well for them at the end, but can you imagine what they were going through prior to the verdict?

Why don't YOU do some research before making incorrect statements and accusations.

What are you talking about? Nothing I said was incorrect. How can someone be devastated if it all turned out well in the end? They are old people and I'm sure it was draining physically and emotional but far from devastating. Imagine if they had to close completely and file bankruptcy beside of the legal fees.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
I did a little research, because I followed this story when it was happening and remembered some old articles that I had read, like this one:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...091902173.html

"Even on the day they beat Roy Pearson in the $54 million pants lawsuit, Soo and Jin Chung looked as if they had taken blows to the gut."

Sounds to me like they were devastated.

That's a totally subjective line written by someone trying to boost up their circulation.

Were they tired, stressed, drained? Of course. These people are old and there bodies can't handle it as well. Having their legal fees paid and the case thrown out is a lot better than the alternative, that would have been devastating.

AgentQ

Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
You need to take a Valium. This should be very, very, very low on the list of things to get pissed off at. Just take the pants somewhere else. Very few, if any men's stores, alter items from other establishments. You wouldn't take a JPress suit to Brooks Brothers for alterations.

On the other hand, the tailor at the J. Press in Cambridge is more than happy to alter the BB suits I bring him

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
That's a totally subjective line written by someone trying to boost up their circulation.

Were they tired, stressed, drained? Of course. These people are old and there bodies can't handle it as well. Having their legal fees paid and the case thrown out is a lot better than the alternative, that would have been devastating.

Having a multi-million dollars lawsuit hanging over their heads for months and months, having to meet with lawyers to give depositions, having to prepare for trial, having to go to trial and wait for an uncertain outcome, having their lives totalling disrupted by the lawsuit, and -- in your words -- having to close one of their dry cleaning stores, is not psychologically and financially devastating?

What is your definition of devastating? Is it "when it happens to others, it is not; when it happens to me, then it is."?

Also, re-read my post and tell me how I "couldn't be more wrong"?

EZETHATSME

Reaction score
Indeed Sir, you are out of line.

apropos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you guys think the OP is out of line, you're not going to believe what's going on in SW&D - a guy just started a thread complaining that a chain store wouldn't take back the shorts he bought, wore out to play 'sport' in the sun, and cut the tags off.

WTF is the world coming to nowadays? Damned youngins' and their sense of entitlement.

pdial

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JensenH
(have you heard of the case where a dry-cleaner was sued for $54 million by a customer who claim his pants were lost? False, the pants were found and it was confirmed by the tags the judge had, he still denied they were his so he could continue with the suit The lawsuit was tossed, but the legal bills False, their legal bills were paid for.and psychological toll devastated the dry cleaner.)Once again, having their bills paid for and having the case thrown out is far from devastating.

If you think this is devastating, what word would you use to describe the situation if they would of had to file bankruptcy because they couldn't of paid their legal bills and gone completely out of business?

eponymous

Reaction score
Originally Posted by SamSpade
Hi there, here's a social, rather than sartorial dilemma.
I just had a men's store experience that annoyed me quite a bit, but maybe I'm in the wrong.
So, I have one favorite men's store where I live - pretty old school - Penner's in San Antonio. I really like it, the selection is not great, but I find something to buy from there every once in a while. (for example, pants, shitrs). They do the hemming for free.

So, today I stopped by intending to leafe pants for alteration that were NOT bought in the store, but elsewhere, and they refused to hem them, on the grounds that they were not purchased in the store (even though I of course offered to pay whatever this is worth). and so I got pissed and sweared to never go back again, since in my understanding being loyal to one store involves little comforts like this.
But maybe I'm wrong. Thoughts?

As someone who worked in high-end (non-clothing related) retail for some time, it's people like you who make my blood boil. Why is the world obligated to give you something just because you think you deserve it? It's this "the customer is always right" myth that allows people to feel so entitled to these sorts of demands. There is a such thing as a bad customer, and it's usually the people who feel they need to mention that they are a good customer that are the worst (truly good customers don't need to prove it, they know it).

It's just not a service they offer, and that's their right. For whatever reason they have decided it doesn't make business sense. Live with it. It would be one thing if you had actually purchased something from the store, and asked toss something in that you had purchased elsewhere since they were already doing alterations for you, but I don't think your otherwise occasional business entitles you to demand services from them that they do not generally provide.

fusQer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rolex Luthor
Best tailor I've found in San Antonio is Layo's. It's in the area of 410 & Broadway just south of the airport. I take all my stuff there. Jesse does a good job.

+1

JensenH

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pdial
If you think this is devastating, what word would you use to describe the situation if they would of had to file bankruptcy because they couldn't of paid their legal bills and gone completely out of business?

"what word would you use to describe the situation if they would of had to file bankruptcy because they couldn't of paid their legal bills and gone completely out of business?" -- ruinous.

Just because the lawsuit was tossed and the legal bills were paid, does that mean the mental anguish they had experienced never happened? The time they lost to defend themselves would be given back to them? The drop in business because they couldn't devote all of their time to work at their store would be compensated? The misery they had suffered was not real?

If you do not consider their suffering is devastating, either your English is poor, or you are a sociopath.

Christofuh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This place is practically crying for a new subforum:
Small-Timer's Lair

JensenH

Reaction score
(have you heard of the case where a dry-cleaner was sued for $54 million by a customer who claim his pants were lost? "False, the pants were found and it was confirmed by the tags the judge had, he still denied they were his so he could continue with the suit")

How was I wrong? I wrote "claim" by the customer that the pants were lost.

(but the legal bills and psychological toll were devastating.)

Again, how was I wrong? The fundraising happened after their plight was widely reported. Prior to that, they had to pay the legal bills out of their own pocket. Are you ignorant to the point of not knowing the word "retainer"?

Furthermore, they had to close one of their other store because they had to devote their time to defend themselves instead of running the business. Closing a store is not financially devastating?

Be prepare to roast in your own flame when you write attack post that are utter nonsense.

centrix

Reaction score
you are out of line here

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Most Interesting Fashion Collaboration of 2020

• JW Anderson x Uniqlo

• Nigo x Virgil Abloh

• Converse x Midnight Studios

• Rick Owens x Champion

• Barbour x Engineered Garments

• Adidas x Bed JW Ford