• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I odd enough for a MTM suit?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 6 feet 1 and weigh 140 lb and I have a 36 inch chest. I wear a size 15.5/35 in brook brothers extra slim fit dress shirts.

Should I go with OTR suits or go with MTM? Suggestions on where to buy?

I am also very slowly gaining weight, what should I consider in the future if I buy a suit now?

cturner

Reaction score
You will have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit. What is your waist size? I'm 6'1" and 160 lb, 32" waist and still have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit.

The best fitting suits I've found have actually been at jcrew. A Ludlow fits me perfectly there without tailoring. You might also look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, but I already find them a bit roomy and need waist suppression, so you would probably be swimming in them.

Other common SF suggestions for slim OTR suits are RL Black Label, and Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, but they are significantly more expensive.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
?

I am also very slowly gaining weight, what should I consider in the future if I buy a suit now?

How do you normally gain weight? At your height and weight it's likely you've got a long distance runner type build? If you're just gaining fat then I bet it'll be mostly in your belly area. If you're building muscle it depends on how good your program is.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cturner
You will have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit. What is your waist size? I'm 6'1" and 160 lb, 32" waist and still have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit.

The best fitting suits I've found have actually been at jcrew. A Ludlow fits me perfectly there without tailoring. You might also look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, but I already find them a bit roomy and need waist suppression, so you would probably be swimming in them.

Other common SF suggestions for slim OTR suits are RL Black Label, and Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, but they are significantly more expensive.

My waist is 32" wear my jeans sit.

Originally Posted by Nicola
How do you normally gain weight? At your height and weight it's likely you've got a long distance runner type build? If you're just gaining fat then I bet it'll be mostly in your belly area. If you're building muscle it depends on how good your program is.

I am just eating normally, I think I gained 5 lbs within the last month or two.

level32

Reaction score
Depends on your OTR options. If you can find a 36L you can slim down somewhere it might be a better choice if you're just starting off. Otherwise, I'm definitely a fan of MTM for nonstandard body types.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the real odd ones are those people who actually fits right off the rack.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads