• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Am I odd enough for a MTM suit?

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am 6 feet 1 and weigh 140 lb and I have a 36 inch chest. I wear a size 15.5/35 in brook brothers extra slim fit dress shirts.

Should I go with OTR suits or go with MTM? Suggestions on where to buy?

I am also very slowly gaining weight, what should I consider in the future if I buy a suit now?

cturner

Reaction score
You will have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit. What is your waist size? I'm 6'1" and 160 lb, 32" waist and still have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit.

The best fitting suits I've found have actually been at jcrew. A Ludlow fits me perfectly there without tailoring. You might also look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, but I already find them a bit roomy and need waist suppression, so you would probably be swimming in them.

Other common SF suggestions for slim OTR suits are RL Black Label, and Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, but they are significantly more expensive.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iroh
?

I am also very slowly gaining weight, what should I consider in the future if I buy a suit now?

How do you normally gain weight? At your height and weight it's likely you've got a long distance runner type build? If you're just gaining fat then I bet it'll be mostly in your belly area. If you're building muscle it depends on how good your program is.

iroh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by cturner
You will have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit. What is your waist size? I'm 6'1" and 160 lb, 32" waist and still have a very hard time finding OTR suits that fit.

The best fitting suits I've found have actually been at jcrew. A Ludlow fits me perfectly there without tailoring. You might also look at Brooks Brothers Fitzgerald, but I already find them a bit roomy and need waist suppression, so you would probably be swimming in them.

Other common SF suggestions for slim OTR suits are RL Black Label, and Paul Stuart Phineas Cole, but they are significantly more expensive.

My waist is 32" wear my jeans sit.

Originally Posted by Nicola
How do you normally gain weight? At your height and weight it's likely you've got a long distance runner type build? If you're just gaining fat then I bet it'll be mostly in your belly area. If you're building muscle it depends on how good your program is.

I am just eating normally, I think I gained 5 lbs within the last month or two.

level32

Reaction score
Depends on your OTR options. If you can find a 36L you can slim down somewhere it might be a better choice if you're just starting off. Otherwise, I'm definitely a fan of MTM for nonstandard body types.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought the real odd ones are those people who actually fits right off the rack.

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 2 2.5%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 11 13.6%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 26 32.1%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • 31 - 40

Votes: 8 9.9%