• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I just too small for an off-the-rack suit?

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It will be difficult to find someting OTR. I am 6'0" 158 lbs,, have narrow shoulders. I am a 39, but usually go with 38 suits because of the shoulder thing. It's hard to find 38 suits, much less 36. I was in Neiman-Marcus - Chicago a few of weeks ago, they had a floor full of suits, not a single 38. The salesman told me to go to the NM in San Francisco, they have more small-sized suits there.

Wow, what a helpful suggestion by him :facepalm:! It would have been a much shorter hop to New York and you can bet they would have the stuff there, and if not in NM, some other stores.

jcriswel

Reaction score

It will be difficult to find someting OTR. I am 6'0" 158 lbs,, have narrow shoulders. I am a 39, but usually go with 38 suits because of the shoulder thing. It's hard to find 38 suits, much less 36. I was in Neiman-Marcus - Chicago a few of weeks ago, they had a floor full of suits, not a single 38. The salesman told me to go to the NM in San Francisco, they have more small-sized suits there.

Wow, what a helpful suggestion by him :facepalm:! It would have been a much shorter hop to New York and you can bet they would have the stuff there, and if not in NM, some other stores.

This does make no sense. I've done business with Neiman Marcus for years. Live in Dallas and frequent the downtown and North Park mall stores. If they don't have it in their store, they will ship it from another store overnight.

ahe

Reaction score
Definately try the fitz, I'm the exact same as you and the 36s fitz fits great. The shoulder is 16 7/8 I believe. The blazer fitz has less shoulder padding than the suit version and fits even better.

hrb

Reaction score

Is this a specific suit of theirs that is narrower in the shoulders, or will all of their 36S suits fit like that? Seems worth checking out - thanks for the tip (and to everyone for all the advice).

nope, the 36's are generally in that range. They do stock 36s as well as 36r. Their cut is also a smidge on the short side, which would work to your advantage. Sole issue may the sleeves, which you would have to have taken up. The button holes are functional so you may lose one of the 4 (not the end of the world). They're half-canvassed and come in staple colours. You can also mix and match pant sizes, though I am guessing you are a 28, which they stock.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anything RTW is going to be a mix of compromise and alterations with this sort of body. Changing your body as suggested is one option but MTM may well give you the best way forward.

OlSarge

Reaction score
A friend of mine can't be over 5' 4" and if he weighs 120 lbs, it's only with pockets full of loose change. It wasn't an issue during his working life because he wore lab coats all the time but now that he has joined the ranks of the retired finding gentlemen's clothing that fits is an uphill battle. I finally took him down to MyTailor.com. He's starting with a MTM dress shirt but given the look on the man's face as he went through the suiting books, I fully expect him to be patronizing Joe regularly in the coming years. Yeah, MTM is the solution.

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You guys are giving bad advice.

Brooks brothers kids
H&M goes down to 34

/thread

photon1701

Reaction score
I'm not much bigger than the OP, but most kids stuff doesn't fit because the armholes are tiny and its very hard to move. Hickey Freeman makes the nicest kids stuff I've seen, only brand that didn't have that problem for me.

eHaberdasher

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not much bigger than the OP, but most kids stuff doesn't fit because the armholes are tiny and its very hard to move. Hickey Freeman makes the nicest kids stuff I've seen, only brand that didn't have that problem for me.

If he is 5 ft 8 and 135, I doubt he has giant arms. Also, there are plenty of fat rich husky prep school kids who fit into BB.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I realize everyone is built differently (and thus why bespoke is the best if one can afford it...) but 5'8 at 135 doesn't strike me as that tiny. I know many people around this size, and I suspect OP is just young and slim.

I say many short stocky men who wouldn't ever fit into a 36 jacket....

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35 chest is tiny, at least as far as trying to wear a 36. It also sounds like he has very narrow shoulders.

sns23

Reaction score
It sounds like shoulders are more of a problem than the chest. My actual chest measurement is like 33-34. However, i can fit into 36 or a slim 38

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics