• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I going crazy?

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Or is it possible for different vendors/stores to cut garments, listed as having the same measurements, differently?

Brooks Brothers slim fit shirt, 16.5/36, advertises a 50" chest and 46" waist measurment--fits pretty close to perfectly.

Charles Tyrwhitt classic fit shirt, 16.5/35, advertises a 50" chest and 49" waist measurement--fits like it's made for a man twice my size in the waist and is noticeably blousey through the chest.

I had planned to simply have the CT shirts taken in at the waist but since even the chest seems blousy I'm thinking of just throwing in the towel and returning them.

GoldenTribe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superego
Or is it possible for different vendors/stores to cut garments, listed as having the same measurements, differently?
In a word, yes. Those measurements don't sound (at all) as though they correspond to slim fit shirts, however. I am a size 16 neck and I look for chest measurements of roughly 41-44" so I can't imagine how any shirt, much less a slim cut one, that is only half a size bigger in the neck would reasonably be an extra 6-9 inches in the chest!

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
just as slacks/jackets/shoes/etc fit/are cut differently, so are shirts. CT always run bigger IMO.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GoldenTribe
In a word, yes.

Those measurements don't sound (at all) as though they correspond to slim fit shirts, however. I am a size 16 neck and I look for chest measurements of roughly 41-44" so I can't imagine how any shirt, much less a slim cut one, that is only half a size bigger in the neck would reasonably be an extra 6-9 inches in the chest!

My primary difficulty is that I have a wide frame and relatively narrow waist. Unfortunately, slim fit shirts seem to be cut for more uniformly thin folks, so what fits in the waist doesn't usually fit in the chest too.

Originally Posted by ter1413
just as slacks/jackets/shoes/etc fit/are cut differently, so are shirts. CT always run bigger IMO.

So t seems, but frustrating. I previously ordered and returned the 16.5/35 CT slim fit because though I could put it on, it just wasn't comfortable. Thinking of returning these and getting the 17/35 slim fit and hoping I'll be able to deal w the neck being a tad big.

a tailor

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
to save you a lot of shopping time .
spend two bucks and get a good tape measure.
it goes in your pocket when shopping.
you know the measurements of the garments that fit you properly.
then measure the garments in the store,
this will save you time in the fitting room, since you will only try the ones that measure close.
also save time not having to return garments.

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was an article recently in some magazine -- could have been GQ -- which surveyed a number of manufacturers on their sizes in relation to a measuring tape and the variance between the designer closest and the one farthest was surprisingly large. All OTR off course.

superego

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by a tailor
to save you a lot of shopping time .
spend two bucks and get a good tape measure.
it goes in your pocket when shopping.
you know the measurements of the garments that fit you properly.
then measure the garments in the store,
this will save you time in the fitting room, since you will only try the ones that measure close.
also save time not having to return garments.

Not sure how that would help with an online retailer when there's uncertainty about whether they're TTS or not.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by superego
Not sure how that would help with an online retailer when there's uncertainty about whether they're TTS or not.

What's TTS?

When a shirt goes by collar size all you know is the collar size. Everything else is up to maker.

They have to figure out what their average customer is.

TTO

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CT shirts fit like a tent, I gave up on them, TM Lewin slim fit was a bit better, I need a 17.5/37 though which is pretty big!
If the Brooks fits, why not stick with them?

(TTS= true to size)

-TTO

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
It's not really a fair comparison though. If you're looking for something similar to a slim fit from BB, why didn't you go with the slim or tailored fit from CT?

A lot of the standard fit Jermyn Street shirts are cut quite big around the chest and waist.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads