• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

am I getting worked up over nothing???

hkgweilo

Reaction score
I usually order zegna OTR - but went out on a limb and ordered a jacket from a HK tailor (one with a very good rep, and definitely not one of the cheaper ones). asked for some special features and elements (extra pocket, special buttons, and colored lining).

the jacket came out excellent (quality-wise), but they neglected to put the lining I requested in...they used the 'standard' dark gray lining. when I asked about it, they said 'oh sorry, but nothing we can do..it's too difficult to replace the lining"

I paid in advance, so not a lot of leverage. the jacket is well-made and fits good, which is what's most important, I realize, but I feel like something is missing...am I making too big a deal out of it? the only one who will see the lining is me...(well, maybe)...

anyone care to give me their thoughts, should I go back and press and just move on and enjoy the jacket??

TIA

hossoso

Coward and P*ssy
Reaction score
Are you in Hong Kong? If so, I would press. If you aren't, it is probably not worth the hassle.

Coho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're close I would press. Otherwise, tell us who is this tailor and we'll make sure to associate his name with scorn and derision whenever someone asks about him online. Terrible practice IMHO.

QUOTE=hkgweilo;798411]I usually order zegna OTR - but went out on a limb and ordered a jacket from a HK tailor (one with a very good rep, and definitely not one of the cheaper ones). asked for some special features and elements (extra pocket, special buttons, and colored lining).

the jacket came out excellent (quality-wise), but they neglected to put the lining I requested in...they used the 'standard' dark gray lining. when I asked about it, they said 'oh sorry, but nothing we can do..it's too difficult to replace the lining"

I paid in advance, so not a lot of leverage. the jacket is well-made and fits good, which is what's most important, I realize, but I feel like something is missing...am I making too big a deal out of it? the only one who will see the lining is me...(well, maybe)...

anyone care to give me their thoughts, should I go back and press and just move on and enjoy the jacket??

TIA[/quote]

Taxler

Reaction score
I wouldn't want to give an otherwise good jacket back to someone who obviously doesn't want to do the job. Maybe it gets done well, maybe not. At the very least, they don't have much incentive or desire to do it in a timely manner.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Is a lining really that hard to take out and put back in?

alebrady

Reaction score
i guess whether its a big deal or not is completely up to you. if i paid money for something, was explicit and unambiguous about my specifications, the service provider acknowledged my specifications before (and it sounds like in your case also) after the fact - then i would expect my sepcifications to be carried out.

maybe my standards are too high but it would bother me - what would REALLY bother me is not so much the lining itself as, like you said, nobody really sees it anyway - its more the principle that they dont seem to accept responsibility for the mistake. would it cause me to take drastic action like withold payment, etc - probably not, but it would cause me to question their commitment to customer service and thus my commitment to them on subsequent items. this time its the lining...what id something more significant (in your mind) goes wrong on the next one - are they going to do whatever they can to make it right?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ask for a discount. Tell them you are happy overall, and if they would like to keep you as a customer, that something along the lines of 10-20% (or more if you're so inclined) is in order because you didn't get what you paid for. See where that takes you.

emptym

Reaction score
+1 on the discount. Preferably on this order, but at least on a future order. Or maybe they could make you a free shirt or two.

dirk diggler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had this happen once as well (suit was a similar but not same fabric - it was midnight blue with a gold pinstripe rather than navy with a white chalk - the suit fit great and looked good, I probably would have gotten one like it at some point, but not at that time.). I pressed for a discount on a future order and I got 40% off a new MTM suit (the one I originally ordered) - **** happens. The tailor took full responsibility and even offered to take the suit back in lieu of a discount, but since I knew I was going to eventually get one like was made erroneously, I just took the discount (and have been quite pleased).

Mustapha

Reaction score
My shirtmaker/tailor takes notes on a 'workorder' thing-y when I'm reciting my special requests. You didn't say whether they did that - however things can still go awry when workers aren't supervised regularily or closely enough.

I would say you did rather well all round.

Holdfast

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd go the discount route in your postion too.

The silver lining (pardon the pun) to the mistake is that at least you got a more conservative suit than an unwearably loud one - imagine if they'd mistakenly put in some really wild lining and then refused to change it?

stickonatree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by teddieriley
Ask for a discount. Tell them you are happy overall, and if they would like to keep you as a customer, that something along the lines of 10-20% (or more if you're so inclined) is in order because you didn't get what you paid for. See where that takes you.

+1. if not a discount on the current suit, then at least a bigger discount on the next suit.

hkgweilo

Reaction score
thank you for all the advice...I will keep it as-is, and will 'remind' him next time I order something and get some disc from him...(I pass his shop regularly)

..as someone above mentioned, even if they did agree to re-work it, something would be wrong later and the fit is really what's important.

what a great community...thanks again!

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
so who's the tailor?

Glyster

Reaction score
How difficult to replace the lining depends on how it's sewed in (whether they are floating or sewed in with the seams). They still need to pretty much open up all the parts to replace the lining. If it really bothers you, you may possibly get another tailor to do it, just need to find a good tailor. As long as the lining doesn't look cheap and out of place, I wouldn't sweat too much about it and try to get a discount.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads