• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I Crazy? Reality Check Needed...

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OPs an asshole. I wont make 200k in 4 years and dont like the way my life is going but you deal with it. Quit being a *****.

wannabefree

Reaction score
BTW, I am not Metro.
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Erm, so you're not even a programmer and don't even know if you have an aptitude there? Software, like anything else, becomes mundane. Try working on the same project and same code for 2 years. Eventually you're just like ****, unless perhaps it's something really cool like games or guidance systems for missles. And unless you're really really awesome, you won't earn all that much money. Plus software is super-easy to outsource, which is fine if you're doing your own thing, but realize that even if you're just doing web & database stuff to pay the bills you're going to have people from india undercutting you a lot of the time. Oh, and to be a really good programmer, you need to make a serious time commitment. It would probably take you a year to learn one language really well, if you're good at it. If you're really interested, get yourself into a CS program.
I have a little experience in software. Have a relevant degree and worked for a summer coding. I do realize there is a lot of competition from India. The idea is not to grind out code as a consultant, but to start a company. It will be small at first, e.g., selling apps, but I will continue to pursue if I find success. Otherwise, it's back to the rat race for me. EDIT: Heck, if I need help, I might even outsource to India.

wannabefree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
OPs an asshole. I wont make 200k in 4 years and dont like the way my life is going but you deal with it. Quit being a *****.

I believe in being happy and having my freedom. Sorry you feel trapped in your position, but it doesn't make me an asshole.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know who OP is! OP, don't quit while you're ahead.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're in legal/finance now, but I'm not sure you have all that much of a business plan...

Also, being an engineer I can tell you that most sectors are seeing serious outsourcing, especially software. I can't imagine something as low-level as app development staying domestic -- hard to keep up with the attrition of technology without a flock of coders. But you...worked for a summer coding. Yay. I don't think that gives you enough experience to even oversee the hacks.

Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you live to sell it? Do you know what you want to
develop? And do you have the skillz -- because if you don't, starting out when it's just you will be tough.

I'm all for dreams, but you'd better be able to nail those questions. Doesn't sound like you're there.

~H

wannabefree

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Huntsman
You're in legal/finance now, but I'm not sure you have all that much of a business plan... Also, being an engineer I can tell you that most sectors are seeing serious outsourcing, especially software. I can't imagine something as low-level as app development staying domestic -- hard to keep up with the attrition of technology without a flock of coders. But you...worked for a summer coding. Yay. I don't think that gives you enough experience to even oversee the hacks. Do you have an entrepreneurial spirit? Do you live to sell it? Do you know what you want to develop? And do you have the skillz -- because if you don't, starting out when it's just you will be tough. I'm all for dreams, but you'd better be able to nail those questions. Doesn't sound like you're there. ~H
Thanks for the feedback -- I appreciate it. I'm very excited about my venture. I spend hours after work reading SDK documentation and writing snippets of code. I suppose I do not have exactly the right experience to guarantee success, but who does? I want to take some risks in my life to find my true calling. I've played it safe for far too long. Plus, with 8 years of living expenses saved up, I won't be ruined if I can't get off the ground. I'm giving myself two years max. If I fail, I'll go crawling back to finance/law (ugh) and continue to live my life as a cowardly rat. But yeah, it will be an uphill battle.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
go back to school and become a teacher. pretty awesome job.

Helix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by CBrown85
go back to school and become a teacher. pretty awesome job.

Then why is it that ever teacher I ever had in high school wanted to quit?

thenanyu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Then why is it that ever teacher I ever had in high school wanted to quit?

They probably became teachers because that was one of their limited career options. They got paid very little and had to live off of it. OP has cash in the bank, so he can live modestly in more places in America for a long time without feeling the pinch.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think your best plan is to move to DC and become a lobbiest. Or Ottawa, if you want to stay in the farm leagues.

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of people hate their jobs and they're a vocal minority. Teaching is pretty gratifying if you ask me. I sleep at night just fine.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
A lot of people hate their jobs and they're a vocal minority. Teaching is pretty gratifying if you ask me. I sleep at night just fine.

What type of teacher are you? I mean, "a lot of people" = vocal minority?

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Helix
Or he could just find a partner and become one of these guys:

kung_fu_hustle_harpists_attack.jpg

LOVE IT.

Gotta go find that movie and watch it again.. SOOO full of awesomeness.

Flambeur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I knew tons of teachers who were the most miserable people ever. It depends. Some love it and are made for it, and some are not.

I remember having a HS history teacher who used to be an M&A attorney and quit to teach, awesome guy, loved his job.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads