1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Am I crazy for wanting to lease a top-of-the-line 3-series out of college?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by GreenFrog, Jun 20, 2011.

1. phreak

phreak Senior member

Do you think an aftermarket warranty is worth it? They have one for 2 years at $2100.

BTW, just bought some angel eyes and a CAI [​IMG]

Aftermarket warranties, unless you are hyper risk averse or w/e, are generally not worth it. They're also known to have *lots* of fine print and stipulations.

Have you researched the CAI much? FWIU they don't enhance power any and possibly raise MPG by 1-2

2. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Aftermarket warranties, unless you are hyper risk averse or w/e, are generally not worth it. They're also known to have *lots* of fine print and stipulations.

Have you researched the CAI much? FWIU they don't enhance power any and possibly raise MPG by 1-2

yeah, i know they aren't really performance-enhancing. i mainly bought it for the sound

3. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

not sure if that is a great asking price (although you seem to have haggled it down a bit), but that is certainly a great car. 10+ years after it's introduction, the E46 still doesnt look dated.

the aftermarket warranty is really just a probability exercise. if you are going to spend $2100+ in repairs over the life of the warranty, then it's worth it. as a single data point, i have a 11 year old 330ci (also my first car after school, woo!) that i've probably put $5000-7000 in out-of-warranty repairs, maintenance, and wear-and-tear replacements into

That's the thing.. I just don't know how long I'm going to keep the car. Seeing as I won't be driving it much anyway (adding around 5K miles a year). But at the same time, it could easily pay for itself over one repair.

I think I'm going to get one, just for the peace of mind.

4. Prince

Prince Senior member

Good choice. Congrats on the car.

Now, how's the cooling system...? [​IMG]

5. GreenFrog

GreenFrog Senior member

Good choice. Congrats on the car.

Now, how's the cooling system...? [​IMG]

Thank you. Not sure.. How much would a cooling system overhaul cost? I see some kits going for about $300 bucks but I dunno if I could replace it myself.

6. Wolfador

Wolfador Senior member

Thank you. Not sure.. How much would a cooling system overhaul cost? I see some kits going for about $300 bucks but I dunno if I could replace it myself.

on the e39 5 series it is about $700-$1000. Depending on what you want to replace.

7. Prince

Prince Senior member

on the e39 5 series it is about $700-$1000. Depending on what you want to replace.

This.

You can either change it all in once (waterpump, thermostat+housing, radiator, expansion tank, hoses) or just wait until something breaks and fix it one step at a time. If you have the money, the first option is a good one. I've had cooling system parts break twice on my E39 (first the t-stat housing and later the t-stat itself) and it cost me a lot of money. So preventative is better. But you should also not sweat it that much. Just keep a good eye on your coolant level and your temperature gauge.

8. A Y

A Y Senior member

The radiator neck can let go very suddenly with no warning. The waterpump, too. The car must be pulled over and turned off immediately if this happens.

Thermostat usually fails open, so your water temp gauge will read low, and the car will have worse gas mileage (like 10 to 15 percent worse). You can drive like this for a while, but it's best to fix it ASAP.

I've replaced the water pump with the EMP Stewart, and 100K miles is considered the safe interval for replacing the neck and pump, if you're using a stock pump. The EMP should last forever. YMMV of course.

--Andre