• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I crazy for liking these cufflinks?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steampunk is pretty cool in it's own right, but I don't find these too steampunk. They're actually pretty small and subdued, which I like.
il_430xN.23992634.jpg
il_430xN.23992615.jpg
2413853739_ee9d5b9d80_m.jpg

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They seem kinda gimmicky to me. And I'm not sure what makes them "steampunk. Cufflinks are, on their own, old looking. They have no parts that would be moved by some huge contraption, a la a steam driven laptop, let's say. It just doesn't make any sense.

These are better than that other pair with the cogs looking to tear up your cuffs (from the Cufflink Damage thread).

b

blahblahblah

Reaction score
I dig them, *if* they're indeed small. Obviously, for casual/"street" outfits only.

pitboss12

Reaction score
I'm not excatly sure what "Steampunk" is but I think that they are pretty cool. Are they supposed to be watch movements?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Steampunk is getting attached to a lot of things these days. They even have Steampunk Ipod speakers (it's a cool setup, but about $6k) and Star Wars figurines. I don't consider them steampunk either, but I like the scene...

That's how they were marketed anyway, but they are simply antique watch movements. From my pair, meticulously cleaned from 19 jewel movements and they appear to be ruby. They still wind too.

They are very small and subdued (which was my concern too when I bought them), I took a picture of them in my hand for you guys. For comparison, just barely smaller than a dime.

ccc123

Reaction score
Elgin watch movement backs - kinda neat - but I'm not sure i would want them catching or rubbing up against a fine fabric ?

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ccc123
Elgin watch movement backs - kinda neat - but I'm not sure i would want them catching or rubbing up against a fine fabric ?
The backs and sides where there could be contact with gears have been covered by the artist who put these together (I got them from "Rivkasmom" on Etsy). Also, they are small, and the holes are even smaller, so I think you'd have to try pretty hard to get your clothes mangled on them.

ccc123

Reaction score
great - then I think if someone really likes the look - its a GO!

marc237

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a real fondness for novelty links, which I wear even on relatively dressy occasions. I think these are a nice set of links and am glad to hear they are covered.

TheFusilliJerry

Reaction score
They are a little gimmicky- but hell, if your going to be creative, should be the cufflinks.

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
Steampunk is the trucker hat of the internet.

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnGeLiCbOrIs
I like the old US made Hamilton (and Elgin) movements.

Yeah, I agree. I never considered them before now.

I ran the serials on my movements on Elgin's database, and they check out. Both from the 40's ('44 and '49) and range on Ebay (from 1999-Current) $40 - $800 max. Neat-o.

I have my fair share of colored silk cuffs to match shirt stripes and ties, but I wanted something different and creative. It's always good to support local artisans too.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads