• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Am I considered cheap if I use a coupon on a date?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the rise of deep discount sites like Groupon and the lowering of expendable income, I think its responsible to use a coupon for half off if you have one for a date night or something.

Would a woman see this as cheap or responsbile?

I have about a dozen of these things piled up and a birthday and valentines day is right around the corner...

jakejake

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
With the rise of deep discount sites like Groupon and the lowering of expendable income, I think its responsible to use a coupon for half off if you have one for a date night or something.

Would a woman see this as cheap or responsbile?

I have about a dozen of these things piled up and a birthday and valentines day is right around the corner...

Don't do it on a first date.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Established relationship = fine
First few dates = kiss of death for nookie

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Definitely on the first date. 3 year relationship - no.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
what if its a special occasion -- birthday, anniversary,etc...? does that change it?

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say no on the first date...if you need it to be less expensive, you can do a couple things:

Pick a cheaper, intimate place. Find a good ethnic cuisine place like Thai or Vietnamese that has decent decor and is in a cool area to walk around before/after dinner. Alternately try just getting dessert, walk around a cool area of town and stop at one place and split a baked good, then walk a little and stop into another place for a drink, etc. Plus this gives your date the chance to pay for the items at one of these stops.

Change how you order the meal: Order a water for yourself instead of alcohol, go out later at night so you can just get drinks and split an appetizer, etc. I prefer this route, where you go out to a bar around 8 or 9pm, get a couple beers and an appetizer to split. I avoid long, 'romantic' dinners and instead choose places to eat that are a little louder, busier, and with more to see/do to avoid long stoppages in conversation. Plus this results in you leaving the place at say 11pm instead of 8pm, so you're already closer to 'bedtime'...

I guess if you really want to use that coupon, you could always excuse yourself and on the way to the bathroom grab the waiter and say, "excuse me, before I forget, I have a coupon" and give it to the waiter then.

By all means use them once you're more established, hell I like girls who are frugal so if they support coupon usage, all the better!

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did it once, but it was a gift certificate. She didn't mind. I brought it up in as classy a way as I could. The place we went to wasn't our first choice but there was a huge wait at a no-reservation place we were originally headed to. I had the coupon in my pocket for some odd reason and knew the bartender at another place who seated us ahead of five parties. Turned out I got insanely ill for three weeks right after this and it fizzled out.

For the first date, just go someplace not too expensive. Gals don't want to have to feel like they owe you something if you pay. Most gals I've dated prefer paying their half anyway.

FunLovinStyle

Reaction score
I choose to pretend the OP is not trolling.

If you use a coupon and she doesn't bolt, you might have a winner on your hands. It's a rare thing to find a woman who respects your labors and dollars.

impolyt_one

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Some Chinese and Korean girls might even like you more for using a coupon on the first date.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you going to be a cheapskate in every other aspect of the relationship too?

epic raccoon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
Some Chinese and Korean girls might even like you more for using a coupon on the first date.

This.

But I usually try to somehow end up getting the girl to pay.

...then again I don't really do "dates".

intent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alliswell
Are you going to be a cheapskate in every other aspect of the relationship too?
How is using a coupon being a cheapskate? If anything, it benefits restaurants because it introduces customers who would otherwise not have visited.

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Its a good litmus test - if she doesn't like you taking her out to a nice dinner and using a coupon then you can explain how you'd be more than happy for her to pay her share, then use the fucking coupon anyway. Hell, if its a Groupon, you'll likely make back your whole investment.

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite pair of shoes to wear with jeans? (Choose two)

• Boots (Chelsea, Chukkas, Balmorals, etc.)

• Loafers

• Work boots (Red Wing, Wolverine, etc.)

• Monk strap shoes

• Oxford / Derby shoes

• Sneakers

Results are only viewable after voting.