• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I an intern? (Another law post)

samblau

Reaction score
The economy has forced my hand. Today I start working for free for a New York State Supreme Court Judge in lower Manhattan as there are NO jobs available. I need to do something to keep my brain from turning to mush. At 27 years of age and over a year of experience as an associate I feel that I should be classified as something other than "intern" on my resume. It looks silly to go from "associate" to "intern". Maybe "volunteer clerk"? Anyway, for all of my fellow unemployed SFers, as well as those of you who can post from work, what do you think? Is interning for free better than sitting around or looking for temp or non-legal work?

MLIW

Reaction score
Yeh I would recommend not spending to much of your time "working" ratherm, a healthy 60% : 40% free time/job searching, at least you might benefit if they offer you a job at the end of it? Good luck anyway
smile.gif
and dont work to hard!

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would describe your job on your resume as "law clerk," assuming that you have the same legal responsibilities as other clerks in the chambers.

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I would describe your job on your resume as "law clerk," assuming that you have the same legal responsibilities as other clerks in the chambers.

Yeah, same responsibilities, and in some cases, more experience. In fact, based on your handle, you might be interested in learning that I am working medmal and will soon be drafting decisions on summary judgment motions.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by samblau
Yeah, same responsibilities, and in some cases, more experience. In fact, based on your handle, you might be interested in learning that I am working medmal and will soon be drafting decisions on summary judgment motions.

Drafting decisions on summary judgment motions? Doesn't your judge have a big huge stamp that says "DENIED" on it like all the other judges?

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Drafting decisions on summary judgment motions? Doesn't your judge have a big huge stamp that says "DENIED" on it like all the other judges?

I just started...and read a 38 PAGE DECISION AND ORDER! Complex medmal case with many parties, private docs, hospital docs, manufacturers etc. Its actually pretty complicated, and sorta gross.

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm about to start looking around to try to do this same thing, volunteer legal work and try to at least get some experience.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why don't you guys just start your own firm instead of being unemployed?

samblau

Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Why don't you guys just start your own firm instead of being unemployed?

Lack of experience, clients, malpractice insurance costs and start up capital are the big ones. There have been some articles written about people "hanging a shingle" as they say after law school. I don't think its such a good idea in NYC though, at least not yet.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lack of experience, clients, malpractice insurance costs and start up capital are the big ones. There have been some articles written about people "hanging a shingle" as they say after law school. I don't think its such a good idea in NYC though, at least not yet.

The lady who interviewed me for my NY character and fitness requirement hung out her own shingle after twenty some years of legal aid criminal defense work. Despite having a lot of repeat and second generation clients, she was still struggling to put the heat in her office. She wore a poofy coat when she interviewed me.
uhoh.gif

yerfdog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This.

Also, there are a lot of ways to get yourself disbarred or suspended if you screw things up that have nothing to do with actually practicing law (I'm thinking of client trust accounts here), and I'm already worried enough about just plain old malpracticing because I don't have the experience to know what I'm doing.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by yerfdog
This.

Also, there are a lot of ways to get yourself disbarred or suspended if you screw things up that have nothing to do with actually practicing law (I'm thinking of client trust accounts here), and I'm already worried enough about just plain old malpracticing because I don't have the experience to know what I'm doing.

Haha...I have the impression that any lawyer can be disbarred on any given day for violation of client trust accounts rules. It seems like you need a full time staff accountant just to keep things kosher.
uhoh.gif

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DarkNWorn
The lady who interviewed me for my NY character and fitness requirement hung out her own shingle after twenty some years of legal aid criminal defense work. Despite having a lot of repeat and second generation clients, she was still struggling to put the heat in her office. She wore a poofy coat when she interviewed me.
uhoh.gif

Maybe she's just not that good of a lawyer or not that good of a business person?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads