• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I an alcoholic

vanity

Reaction score
I used to drink a lot like this when I lived alone and was single. Mostly b/c I was bored. Try finding a hobby that prohobits you from drinking regularly. Like group activities or working out.

Mike

Reaction score
Stax, thanks for posting the Ferguson monologue from last week. I was about to do the same thing. It is very on point.

nomovement

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bouji
Not only job stress, but also the fact my wife died about a year ago.

HOLY ****! you drink more than me! You gotta cut back on that asap. AA seems like it would be boring/embarassing/impersonal. Why don't you take some of that cash you're throwing away on booze and put it towards
a: (manly answer) gym membership, new hobby...preferably somehting aggro like bow-hunting or re-modeling your home...with your own hands!
b: (realistic answer) therapy. Why the **** not? Its not like you're some teen with an anger issue; you're not feeling well and you have a real reason not too.

oh, and as I write this I'm moving around empties for more space on my desk; its not like I just got back from a 10 mile run.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you drink to get drunk, you're an alcoholic in my book. You seem to drink to escape the mundane activities of life, which is never healthy.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
All that ethanol will mess up your sleep, and by itself that will give you health and emotional problems down the road.

Not to mention that if your wife has died, you may already be pretty depressed--- with excellent reason.

You might not be an alcoholic, in the sense that you can't stop getting into trouble with alcohol. You might be, of course, but deal with that reality when it comes up.

Right now you have to stop worrying about labels and focus on behavior. Taking care of yourself by cutting out the drinking and dealing with what is on your mind is critical. NO disputing that. Do it now before you do wind up in real trouble.

King Salmon

Reaction score
You are only drinking at about double the level of normal. A bottle of wine a day should be fine. My recommendation is to start earlier in the day and spread out the drinking. I'm drinking at about a quarter of your level (or half as the normal maximum).

A bit of alcohol everyday is good for your health as it improves circulation. Your level, though, may indeed be damaging to your liver. I recommend consulting a physician.

Jared

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even after this much, I don't feel drunk. As I am typing this message, I've almost finished my second bottle of wine.
As Stax implies, alcoholics have a resistance to alcohol such that they can be functional at blood alcohol levels that would kill a non-alcoholic. If nothing else, you need a cheaper hobby! It sounds like you may not yet have a psychological dependency, which means you should be able to quit without too much discomfort and chance of relapse. Make sure you deal with your insomnia issues as you cut down on the alcohol.

vaclava krishna

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
Vaclav- shut up!

Alter, sorry, but I believe in, moderation.

Lucky Strike

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duveen
Bouji - unless you are trolling, I'd say you've got an alcohol problem. That is a tremendous amount of drink. (...) Have you looked @ sleeping pills or other, non-alcoholic, sedatives or anti-depressants?
+1
Originally Posted by VMan
Marijuana. I never felt that alcohol was anything fantastic. While I do enjoy to drink, and do so socially a couple times a week, I don't like the incapacitated feeling one gets from being drunk. It's hard to accomplish anything. Marijuana has less harmful effects on your body, your mind, and your actions. When I am drunk, I can't really read a book, or do any sort of work, or cook, or function to any proper extent. I have also heard that it is quite nice to fall asleep after you have smoked, and that it is a good way to unwind after a long day.
I've heard the same thing.
smile.gif

gorgekko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ever night I drink at least, either two bottles of wine, or about three quarters of a bottle of spirits... I sleep about 2am wake up at about 7am everyday... and I sleep untill about 3pm on weekends. Is this okay, or do I need to seek help?
You sound like me circa five years ago. The answer is, no, it is not okay. I know you don't think you need the alcohol but if you think the night is boring without it, you indeed have a problem. I drank for almost the same reasons you do and it was masking (to avoid getting into some stuff) issues. Look, I once stared over the edge of the cliff like you did -- I'm still fighting that battle -- and believe me, it's a long fall. Step back. Believe me, the fall hurts.

CBDB

Reaction score
I don't feel I 'NEED' it, but I feel that the evening is too boaring without it... I hate watching TV, and I need to wind down in the evening...
Crap...what do you need to "wind down" from? You're either an Apache pilot in Iraq or a Serial Killer. That, my friend, is undergraduate-level drinking and IMHO a bit excessive.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Serial Killers don't drink that much. At least, none of them I've ever met.

Walter

Reaction score
Does anyone know what is the realistic maximum amount of alcohol a middle aged man can drink without being an alcoholic or seriously damaging his health? the amounts on health sites I found on the net were not realistic: most of them say anything above 2 drinks a day (one beer for lunch and a glass of wine with your evening meal) is excessive. I mentioned this to my physician and he said this was exaggerated but he could not give me any answer.

pkincy

Reaction score
I don't think the answer is how much. If you are even asking that question you likely are being controlled by alcohol, which is the first step in a 12 step program.

A normal drinker will quit drinking with 1/2 glass of wine still in the glass. An abnormal drinker will not only finish the glass but will help his significant other finish his/hers and drinking any amount alone is a rather sure sign of alcohol trouble.

Perry

Walter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pkincy
I don't think the answer is how much. If you are even asking that question you likely are being controlled by alcohol, which is the first step in a 12 step program.

A normal drinker will quit drinking with 1/2 glass of wine still in the glass. An abnormal drinker will not only finish the glass but will help his significant other finish his/hers and drinking any amount alone is a rather sure sign of alcohol trouble.

Perry

This point of view is way too extreme. It is like saying you are bulimic if you finish your plate.
If you are single and drink a glass of wine while you eat (the civilized thing to do by the way) for example does not indicate any trouble.
My doctor told me that one did not have a trouble with alcohol unless one cannot control his drinking and drinks whatever is at his disposal, but I dont find this explanation to be very accurate...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads