Am I an alcoholic

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Bouji, Feb 25, 2007.

1. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

I'm surprised you could rise to the occasion considering the amount of alcohol that you consume. Vitamin V?

Even after this much, I don't feel drunk. As I am typing this message, I've almost finished my second bottle of wine.

2. VMan

VMan Senior member

Switch to a different drug.

3. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

I doubt you're "constantly" drunk - well, depends on what you drink for lunch. You Brits seem to like liquid lunches, whereas in New York people usually eat at their desk and on the rare meal out, are too scared to drink anything stronger than a Diet Coke. (I include myself among them.) The high quality of the alcohol probably has more to do with it. A bottle of good champagne will leave you with no ill effects the next day. Same with a few tumblers of good Scotch.
    Perhaps, but I rarely drink Champagne, Bollinger or Veuve Cliqout only to impress women, and that is when I join them with a glass at my place, I don't really enjoy Champagne, which is hardly Dom Perigonon, Krug or Cristal. Mostly Caol Illa Scotch, JW Black Label, Grey Goose, or Red wine (French red Bourgogne. White in the summer). At lunch I normally have a pint of Leffe or a G&T

4. SGladwell

SGladwell Senior member

I don't think I've had as much to drink in a week as you claim to do as a matter of course since I was 19 or 20...

5. Duveen

Duveen Senior member

Bouji - unless you are trolling, I'd say you've got an alcohol problem. That is a tremendous amount of drink.

I seem to remember that you work in finance - is that right? If so, are you medicating to deal with job stress? Have you looked @ sleeping pills or other, non-alcoholic, sedatives or anti-depressants?

6. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Switch to a different drug.
    Which one?

7. Bouji

Bouji Senior member

Bouji - unless you are trolling, I'd say you've got an alcohol problem. That is a tremendous amount of drink.

I seem to remember that you work in finance - is that right? If so, are you medicating to deal with job stress? Have you looked @ sleeping pills or other, non-alcoholic, sedatives or anti-depressants?

Not only job stress, but also the fact my wife died about a year ago.

8. texas_jack

texas_jack Senior member

No good can come of drinking this much. You may be keeping it together for now but there may come a time when you loose control. Better to nip it in the bud now.

9. vaclava krishna

vaclava krishna Senior member

At lunch I normally have a pint of Leffe or a G&T

The amount I think, its not the problem, but better to begin at and earlier hour.

Perhaps tomorrow try, 1 bottle of wine for lunch.

10. VMan

VMan Senior member

Which one?

Marijuana.

I never felt that alcohol was anything fantastic. While I do enjoy to drink, and do so socially a couple times a week, I don't like the incapacitated feeling one gets from being drunk. It's hard to accomplish anything. Marijuana has less harmful effects on your body, your mind, and your actions. When I am drunk, I can't really read a book, or do any sort of work, or cook, or function to any proper extent.

I have also heard that it is quite nice to fall asleep after you have smoked, and that it is a good way to unwind after a long day.

11. Alter

Alter Senior member

The amount I think, its not the problem, but better to begin at and earlier hour. Perhaps tomorrow try, 1 bottle of wine for lunch.
    Vaclav- shut up! Bouji- the question is...do you think that your drinking is a problem? If you do, then you know that you need to do something about it. Quitting is not that difficult. And...my sincere condolences.

12. Stax

Stax Senior member

Which one?

endorphins

13. VMan

VMan Senior member

Also, remember moderation.

There is a difference between having a drink, and getting drunk.

Just as there is a difference between getting high, and getting stoned.

If you find it hard to stop after a drink or two, your personality might not allow for any sort of chemical use. If this is the case, be careful, and find some sort of treatment.

14. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Bouji, you've developed a drinking problem, and it is affecting your health. Drinking to sleep is not good. You need to talk to someone (professional) about a lot of things; drinking, insomnia, the loss of your wife.

I hope you choose to get help pal. My life got a whole lot better when I cut out the macho b.s. and started seeing a psychologist. I urge you to make a call Monday.

15. Stax

Stax Senior member

It's long, but amusing and on point.