• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am i allowed to wear this with jeans?

wwallace1

Reaction score

TheHoff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wear what you want and what feels comfortable, right?

Both are orphaned suit coats to my eyes. The lighter fabric, buttons, and striping of the first are giveaways.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The second I think would be fine. The first may have been sold as a separate coat, but it shouldn't have.

wwallace1

Reaction score
I thought the same thing with the michael kors blazer, but this is what the seller told me when i asked them if i could wear it with jeans

This blazer made by the infamous Michael Kors (I liked him on Heidi Klum's fashion designer show last year) would look really 'expensive' with jeans in a casual atmosphere, i.e. you would stand out as a fashion plate, something that is good. It is a Kors sportcoat/blazer, sold that way, so there is no matching pant(s) on this one to make it a Kors suit.
I just don't know, it definately looks sharp though...?

wwallace1

Reaction score
Hoff, That burberry looks really nice, too bad I already have a similar coat like that from Banana Republic (Cotton) ive never heard of saville before, to tell u the truth im not really sure about the quality of the michael kors, however, i definately would like a pinstripe sport coat (not orphaned suit jacket) thats why i was drooling all over the michael kors one...

wwallace1

Reaction score
god i just love that black pinstriped blazer from michael kors
worship.gif
, i just need a reason to wear it casually and not murder myself in the process haha
what about a light pair of jeans, maybe some contrasting?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll find many fans of the striped jacket with jeans (esp. light jeans) look here, but it's your life, do what you want. I'm sure some people will consider it very stylish, just not me.

wwallace1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by j
I don't think you'll find many fans of the striped jacket with jeans (esp. light jeans) look here, but it's your life, do what you want. I'm sure some people will consider it very stylish, just not me.

do u think that might be a generation gap? Im 25 and i feel like the jeans + sportcoats/blazers is acceptable...i just didn't know about that striped michael kors jacket, and needed a second opinion
smile.gif

wwallace1

Reaction score
Originally Posted by AnotherVictim
just me but i dont really like the look of 3 buttoners with jeans

really? i seem to love the 3 buttons, i have 2 3-button blazers/sport coat from banana republic, and 1 3 button from brown tweed ck which i all wear with jeans,
i think i like the 3 button blazers with jeans more than 2 button blazers with jeans, but i guess its really up to the preference of the person right ?
smile.gif

SGladwell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wwallace1
i definately would like a pinstripe sport coat (not orphaned suit jacket) thats why i was drooling all over the michael kors one...
If you want a striped jacket, don't bother obsessing about whether or not it's an "orphaned suit jacket." You're the only one who would ever know, as there's really no difference between a sportcoat and a suit jacket anyway, except that sportcoats can and often do use patterns larger in scale and more intense in color than suits can. Besides, people like me would just assume it is even if the maker never bothered to finish the suit with a pair of pants. Stripes, IMO, do not a sportcoat make. However, if you want a striped jacket, you can probably find something thirty levels higher in quality (Zegna, Oxxford, etc.) on eBay for the price of that Kors. I'm a big fan of wearing vintage Oxxford jackets in a "size too small" with jeans. (Though I generally - but not always - go darker with the jeans.) Even vintage Oxxford Owentsias (possibly one of the dowdiest jacket cuts ever) look pretty cool that way, because the smaller size moves the buttoning point up. I generally have to go with an L to get long enough sleeves, but generally the skirt of, say, a 40L is roughly the same as a 42R anyway.

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by wwallace1
do u think that might be a generation gap? Im 25 and i feel like the jeans + sportcoats/blazers is acceptable...i just didn't know about that striped michael kors jacket, and needed a second opinion
smile.gif

I'm 28 - I just think it's a tried and beaten to death look and I never really liked it in the first place.

Edit: to be clear, I'm talking about striped jackets that look like they have the pants missing, with jeans. There are lots of jackets that can be worn well with jeans, and I do it myself. Like I said, the second one would probably be fine for that look. You could also look for a windowpane or something like that which would look more sportcoat-like.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Personally I think the look is fine, if not particularly creative. I'm very fond of patterned sportcoats with jeans although I'm partial to plaids at the moment.

ineffable

Reaction score
life tip: avoid michael kors clothing. particularly "michael by michael kors" (his cheaper line - which is what most (if not everything) you'll find on ebay is.
or atleast at that price... you can do much better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads