• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I a Schmuck to Pay Retail

buzzron

Reaction score
Retail is good if you know how to pick the right one for the price.

brokencycle

Reaction score
He hasn't been back in four days to let us know how it went. Perhaps he took the bad advice of Doc or Birks.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You made the right choice. Fully canvassed, great cut, awesome quality, decent price. You're paying for the experience and selection at Barney's, too. Good luck finding that size discounted in RLBL if we're talking about one of the solids.

I ran into a similar situation recently when I picked up a Dior suit, full retail, and my wife was not happy. A little later she was trying on the jacket, she liked it so much!

Kiwi Man

Reaction score

I won't buy clothing online unless it is a brand that I currently own and am fully aware of its fit and color. I've found online shopping overall to result in a waste of time and money for me because of colors and sizes not being quite right or because of the hassle of waiting on the delivery and then returning it if it isn't acceptable.

I agreed, but I have to admit that I cannot resist good deal online. Sometimes, it is like playing a lottery. If clothes fit, you win. If not, well, you lose.

TO the OP, when you go and buy something off Barneys, you do not only for the product, but the service as well. I remember shopping at Barneys and how much I enjoyed it!

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

He hasn't been back in four days to let us know how it went. Perhaps he took the bad advice of Doc or Birks.

or maybe the mrs has taken drastic measures. :paranoia:

Owen Meany

Reaction score

Full retail is fine, especially with high quality items, it is like no one with laugh that you brought a luxury watch for official price, only if you paid the hugh mark up....

HA! My first watch was an Oris TT3 for which I paid FULL price ....What a lesson that was...(never paid MSRP or close for a watch since). Still have it though....

I have noticed that I pay full retail on clothing more and more, I am just tired of the "hunt" and settling for something I didn't really love or didn't fit just right because it was a good price: or the alternative of never finding something I really loved or that fit well on sale! I won't shy away from a bargain and still visit the rack, off 5th, etc. but getting a good price it is not near as important as it once was.

I now dress better, feel better about my looks and don't stress about it at all. The wife does have an issue with the number of shoes I have purchased over the last year though...

connor09

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Everyone pays for retail once in awhile, it's not a sin.

jaijeffcom

Reaction score
+1
SF is clearly not the reason our favorite brands and tailoring houses stay open. It is thanks to those brilliantly impulsive, self-indulge, elitist, big timers that make it happen. I hope to be one of them some day soon. May whatever deity you believe in bless you this fine day OP.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I just got a refund check in the mail for overpaid property tax escrow. It's enough for another retail suit. Thanks, JubeiSpiegel! I'm sure your wishes had a hand in it. Yayyyy.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got a refund check in the mail for overpaid property tax escrow. It's enough for another retail suit. Thanks, JubeiSpiegel! I'm sure your wishes had a hand in it. Yayyyy.

The world is in balance again :slayer:

How about some pics OP?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads