Am I a Schmuck to Pay Retail

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jaijeffcom, Apr 26, 2012.

1. halgrind

halgrind Member

I can be satisfied paying full retail to get exactly what I need with no hassle.

And going to a thrift or discount store and finding nothing can leave you feeling empty and sometimes depressed.

But there's no feeling in the world like finding that perfect item in a thrift store for next to nothing. You don't just feel good when you wear it, you feel like you won.

2. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

this captures the zeitgeist of our manic thrift thread in two concise sentences. Well put.

I would add, "perfect item, thrift store, next to nothing, and the person who donated it took it to the drycleaner's before donating as the tags through the buttonholes prove..."

3. Blackhood

Blackhood Senior member

People forget that Thrift Stores, Outlets, Consignments, B&S, Charity Shops would not exists without someone somewhere paying RRP.

Congrats OP, you're contributing more to the economy by keeping SA's employed and sales tax paid than any one of the leeches who buys second hand clothes.

4. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

as an aside, if you go to the right shop, there is a great feeling about being waited on hand and foot. that experience is built into the price.

5. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I wasted much more money on discounted items than those I've bought at full retail.

6. in stitches

shopaholic much? :)

:slayer: :bounce2: CONGRATS ON 20K POASTS BUDDY!!! :bounce2: :slayer:

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

7. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

^^^Thanks, but my post count demonstrates that I've spent way too much time here.

8. in stitches

ORLY ;)

9. imatlas

imatlas Senior member

You might not be a schmuck, but you're probably not mishpucha.

10. MikeDT

MikeDT Senior member

Do you mind me asking....What did the nation's youth do before they started playing soccer? I'm not American, hence my curiosity.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2012

11. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

+1

SF is clearly not the reason our favorite brands and tailoring houses stay open. It is thanks to those brilliantly impulsive, self-indulge, elitist, big timers that make it happen. I hope to be one of them some day soon. May whatever deity you believe in bless you this fine day OP. :slayer:

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

While not a big timer, I do pay full retail more often than not. I want my choice of styles, colors, etc. And I've found that I have more leverage with the vendor if a product is defective, fits poorly, or if I just decide I don't like it. I'll do it as long as I can comfortably afford it.

Jubei, as long as "making it" is a goal you are willing to work for, you will make it. Just remember to host an SF party when you get there . . . with an open bar . . .

13. Quarks

Quarks Senior member

Good on you. There will always be a time when you try a piece that truly speaks to you and paying retail doesn't really matter.... until your better half questions you. I seldom have the luxury to shop due to my work. As a result, I have paid full retail more often than not, unless I score a deal online once in a while. Wear it in the best of health!

14. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

I won't buy clothing online unless it is a brand that I currently own and am fully aware of its fit and color. I've found online shopping overall to result in a waste of time and money for me because of colors and sizes not being quite right or because of the hassle of waiting on the delivery and then returning it if it isn't acceptable.

15. Clovis Sangrail

Clovis Sangrail Well-Known Member

Provided your wife's lack of understanding is because she is unable to comprehend you being able to pay that much for a suit, rather than not being able to afford that suit then I think you made the right decision.

A while ago I actually implemented a "no-sale" policy because I found myself being tempted to buy stuff that was almost, but not quite perfect, as it was on sale - and then being unhappy with it. Buying things you love, that are exactly right, is cheap, spiritually and economically, because your cost-to-wear ratio will be through the roof, and because every time you wear that suit you will feel great.

Buying a small amount of hight quality clothes and making sure that everything you buy is the result of such a large investment of time and effort to achieve perfection, is the cheapest way to invest in clothes irrespective of whether you pay retail or not. Good luck.