• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Am I a bowtie guy?

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today I found (again) my grandfather's bowtie collection. In the past I had disregarded it, assuming I was obviously not a bowtie kind of person. This time I decided to re-learn how to tie one and wore a few different styles throughout the evening.

I now ask you, my good men, if I look like a fool or a fop, a dork or a dandy; a popcorn-seller or a presidential-server. Your opinion counts. Kind of.

From smallest to largest:

Photo18.jpg

0901081741a.jpg

Photo9.jpg

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
The big one looks like a prop. The others look good.

Don't cut your hair, or if you do, switch to long ties.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
The big one looks like a prop. The others look good. Don't cut your hair, or if you do, switch to long ties.
This actually is my hair having been cut. A week ago's length:
mmcat.jpg
I don't anticipate it being shorter anytime soon.

JeffsWood

Reaction score
To pull off a bowtie, it has to be worn with confidence. If you have to ask " Am I a bowtie Guy?" then you are not a bowtie guy.

But for what it is worth I like the look of the second BT on you.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There you go, need to show off the grills.

m_wave

Reaction score
If your aim is to gain acceptance from people on the internet then possibly, but if your aim is to meet girls no.

Willsw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by m_wave
If your aim is to gain acceptance from people on the internet then possibly, but if your aim is to meet girls no.

Girls, as we've established, flock to sleeve pitch and a nice lapel roll. My aim here is to satisfy a need for attention on this Labor Day evening and to determine with objective opinions whether my bowties should be chanced on occasion or given up altogether.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Willsw
Today I found (again) my grandfather's bowtie collection. In the past I had disregarded it, assuming I was obviously not a bowtie kind of person. This time I decided to re-learn how to tie one and wore a few different styles throughout the evening.

I now ask you, my good men, if I look like a fool or a fop, a dork or a dandy; a popcorn-seller or a presidential-server. Your opinion counts. Kind of.

From smallest to largest:

- the last ha sto go & I think you look GURD!
- but then I am a recent BT convert, have a look at my WAYW posts

Originally Posted by Manton
The big one looks like a prop. The others look good.

Don't cut your hair, or if you do, switch to long ties.

- Here the LORD MANTON as he speaks the TRUTH!

Originally Posted by m_wave
- I have been getting a lot of attention from the wimen since I started wearing my BT..

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Your rumpled style keeps you from looking like Tucker Carlson. I like the first pic quite a bit, and I'm no fan of bowties, especially on younger guys. The second photo works less well for me -- like you're vice president of the Young Republicans -- and the size of the tie in the third is just too much.

In short, the dressier the look, the less I like it.

m_wave

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
I have been getting a lot of attention from the wimen since I started wearing my BT..

You don't count as you have an uncanny ability to make incongruous items look good. Even my girlfriend thinks you look tres cool with your bow ties when she's reading the WAYWT thread.

To further my point for the original poster, then I think one of the smaller BT's would be apt for a Labor day occasion if it sufficiently matches the rest of his rumpled aesthetic.

larsrindsig

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Film Noir Buff
i have heard that pocket squares are for pussies...
tounge.gif

I've heard pocket pussies are for squares. So ...
cool.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads