• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to sweatpants?

Bespoke Barrister

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll look into them.

Being nearly 17, will I still look my age wearing chinos? Also, can they be made at a size 37?

I began wearing chinos, polo shirts, button downs, sweaters and chukkas (instead of sweats, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, and sneakers) at that age and I am pretty sure I still looked my age. It did however change peoples perception of me for sure, really increased my credibility because people thought I was more "serious." I think I also did better with the ladies afterwards, both because of the the clothes and confidence. But best of all, you will be amazed at how much more you can get away with wearing chinos, a button down collar, sweater, and any shoes other than sneakers. :devil:

I am a true 37 now and I generally buy 38. Even if it is a bit loose, that just gives you an excuse to wear a nice belt!

For shoes, have you considered vintage? Check out the vintage shoe thread for some inspiration. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ion-tips-maintenance-and-advice.526196/unread

cruisingjoe01

Reaction score
I began wearing chinos, polo shirts, button downs, sweaters and chukkas (instead of sweats, jeans, t-shirts, sweatshirts, and sneakers) at that age and I am pretty sure I still looked my age. It did however change peoples perception of me for sure, really increased my credibility because people thought I was more "serious." I think I also did better with the ladies afterwards, both because of the the clothes and confidence. But best of all, you will be amazed at how much more you can get away with wearing chinos, a button down collar, sweater, and any shoes other than sneakers. :devil:

I am a true 37 now and I generally buy 38. Even if it is a bit loose, that just gives you an excuse to wear a nice belt!

For shoes, have you considered vintage? Check out the vintage shoe thread for some inspiration. https://www.styleforum.net/threads/...ion-tips-maintenance-and-advice.526196/unread

My main worry is that often older men tend to dress more formally. I seldom see a young guy who dresses that way.

Having said that, I do like the style that you are suggesting.

As for the comment about women, I am gay, but would guys be attracted to a good dress sense as much?

cruisingjoe01

Reaction score
Did some maths and my bill is roughly £75.

Chinos, Sweater, Shirt and Belt. Should I do it?

Bespoke Barrister

Reaction score
My main worry is that often older men tend to dress more formally. I seldom see a young guy who dresses that way.

Having said that, I do like the style that you are suggesting.

As for the comment about women, I am gay, but would guys be attracted to a good dress sense as much?

There is no doubt that you are likely to stand out among your peers. Hell even at 37, albeit with a slightly more formal look, I still stand out among my peers. But isn't that a good thing? Especially because it will be for something positive, meaning sticking out as the dapper dresser is a whole lot better than for being the worst dresser IMO. Also, you can take it slow and slowly integrate more formal clothes into your rotation.

If you like the style you chose, that is all that is important. Don't worry about what other people think. "Haters are going to hate" regardless, so dress how you like. If you are comfortable with what you are wearing, you will be happier and more confident after looking in the mirror, both of which will make you a better man. (Some advice/inspiration about dealing with haters: - .)

Regarding my comment regarding the effect on the ladies, I think that it would probably be the same for the guys. I am not gay, but from my experience, an attractive man appeals to both straight women and gay men alike. I think it come down to being noticed more because you are the best dressed (or at least dressed differently) and the increased confidence that you get from dressing well. The only actual experience I have regarding that were from the gay best friends of a couple girls I dated. While I don't know what they actually thought about how attractive I was, I do know the gay guys would rate other guys together with their female friends. There seemed to be broad agreement between the two genders, and if anything I think that the gay guys evaluated (or paid attention to) wardrobe more than the gals.

At the end of the day though it is all about you and not the clothes you wear. While clothes will influence people's first impression of you, after hello who you are is the primary thing that matter. Definitely don't hide or stifle what makes you unique. The founder of OKCupid (or another dating site) once said that highlighting your unique characteristics is much more likely to attract someone than trying to hide it and blend in. He explained that while you may turn off 3/4 of the people who don't like a certain characteristic, you will be irresistible to the people who do like/love the same characteristic. I think believe that the example was about curly hair, but it doesn't matter as it applies universally.)

Anyway all that is to say: Dress how you like and think you should, you will be a better man for it!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads