Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Alternatives to Rayban RB2132 New Wayfarer 52mm (smaller frame) ?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Reevolving, Aug 24, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

My 52mm RB2132 Wayfarers fell off my head as I flew my plane into a hammerhead stall.
    With one hand on the yoke, and the other trying to catch that pigeon, I was not able to save the glasses.

These are the only sunglasses I have ever found with a smaller, tastefully sized frame.
    While I need to buy something new, are there other alternatives to check out, or do I just replace what I had?

2. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I had the small-framed original Wayfarers and replaced them with these (though I recall your distaste for Persol in the past, so they might not be your style). Either way, get a pair of croakies for when you're flying. They will save you the trouble of issues like this.

3. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

How do you compare the P's to the RB's?
    What made you switch?

The black Persol actually looks better than the all-too-common RB in black
    http://www.sunglasshut.com/us/47808

4. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

I prefer the fit of the Persols on my head. They seem to have stronger hinges and better construction than the RBs. By the time I retired my RBs (granted, after about 5 years of wearing), they were super stretched out to the point that they wobbled as I wore them. I had to take them to a optometrist to have them heat and mold the plastic frames so they would stay on my face. After about a year and a half of wear the Persols show no signs of wear and tear and the hinges are springy and firm.

I also prefer Persol polarized lenses to RB. While both are made by Luxottica, I swear that Persols have a far superior lens quality, especially with polarized lenses. At the end of the day perceived lens quality has led me to Persol. Even if there is no real difference, I feel a difference when I wear them, so that's all that matters to me.

I have the 2953 and the 714 and love them both. However, after trying them on I would highly suggest buying Persols off of eBay. I got both pairs for around $120-$150. The markups on glasses are ridiculous and there are several reputable sunglass dealers on the bay that come highly recommended. There are a few threads that name them, though I can't remember which ones.

5. Reevolving

Reevolving Senior member

If I buy another pair of RB New Wayfarers, I will pay $125 at the Hut.
    I don't really see anything much cheaper than that on Ebay anyway.

Anyone know the legit Persol sellers on Ebay?