• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alternatives to ironing?

intlnews

Reaction score
Are there alternatives to ironing? I am horrible in ironing so aside from sending everything to the dry cleaners, what other options are there? I tried a hanger and steamer system, but the results were good, but not great.

joz411no

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sho'nuff
not much else other than what you mentioned sending them to someone to have it done, steaming, or buying non-iron items. just the way the fabric is and life.

+1

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jiffy J-2000 steamer.

Sander

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might get away with not ironing if your cloth is very good and of a certain kind of weave. -> PG.

ismelllikepoop

Reaction score
honestly once you get used to ironing it's not too bad. i had a ****** $7 target one that i had trouble with, but got a pretty decent one from oddlots for $30 that normally was $80. The weight of the iron made it a lot easier, plus the tip had a nice curve to get around buttons. heck now when im traveling, in a weird way it's kind of satisfying to iron while watching some tv. it did take maybe a dozen or two times before i stopped putting in more wrinkles than i took out, but now its no longer a chore to do it.

Dewey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
if you wash in cold and hang dry (on hangers), you don't need to iron much of an OCBD. i will do the placket and maybe the front and done.

also if you start wearing sweaters all the time, no need to iron.

non-iron shirts are not the solution.

P. Bateman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I get shirts laundered when needed and use a steam to maintain upkeep in between. For pants I'm currently experimenting with Supercrease + steaming to maintain a sharp crease and wrinkle free lap.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How are you bad at ironing? I simply don't understand the concept. For me, it's not hard at all. Even with a cheap iron and one of those miniature ironing boards.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
No, it is a ballbreaker. Have your shirts done professionally, even if they break a button or two or otherwise sometimes damage them. Steaming is an easier alternative, but you can't really get a proper crease in pants. I even bought one of those high-end Euro steamer irons that was supposed to make it easier, but even that is a *************. I share your pain.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think ironing is one of those skills that as a well-rounded person you need to master. The key is a quality ironing board and super-thick and padded cover, just like the pros use. There's a very simple order to dress shirts (yoke, front, back, other front side, arms, cuffs, collar back and front). You can cheat with suits and skip back and arms.

I can do a shirt in 5 minutes; pants in 7 or 8 (actually need to take more care with pants).

Having said all that, I take my shirts to the cleaner. $2, light starch, boxed...done! Once in a while I'll be a good samaritan and iron my wife's odd-shaped blouses etc. That usually gets me a free pass for a day or so!
bigstar[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads